diy solar

diy solar

Answered: Most both legs be the same length?

Sparky

I have three pair of solar panels feeding my mppt controller. I want to increase it to four, or increase the number of panels in each pair. My controller can handle the voltage.

At present, the negative and positive wires to each are the same size, but I achieve that by leaving the longer wire curled up. If I rearrange them as planned, I'll have a (let's say) a 10 foot run from the mppt to the positive connection to each array, and a 30 foot run to the negative connection. Is that okay? Does it make a difference if the longer run is to the positive or negative output on the solar array?

Last edited:
I have three pair of solar panels feeding my mppt controller. I want to increase it to four, or increase the number of panels in each pair. My controller can handle the voltage.

At present, the negative and positive wires to each are the same size, but I achieve that by leaving the longer wire curled up. If I rearrange them as planned, I'll have a (let's say) a 10 foot run from the mppt to the positive connection to each array, and a 30 foot run to the negative connection. Is that okay? Does it make a difference if the longer run is to the positive or negative output on the solar array?
Cables can be any length but the more cable you have, the more losses you also have. Run shortest wire you can being practical and get rid of the "curled up" stuff as it is doing nothing but sucking small amounts of energy from you.

Cables can be any length but the more cable you have, the more losses you also have. Run shortest wire you can being practical and get rid of the "curled up" stuff as it is doing nothing but sucking small amounts of energy from you.

It's distributing / wicking heat!

Back