diy solar

diy solar

Anyone buying these 305ah envision cells?

finally they're as cheap as aliexpress. Almost worth it though you can get "Grade A" from ali at that price.. whether or not they're grade A who knows
someone talked about these having gas issues already so not that tempting. Definitely weren't that great months ago at the higher price
All of mine were slightly bloated, but I was able to fit them into an EEL box. I tipped the box up on its back face so the weight of the cells helped take up the slack so I could put the front plate on

Wanted to give an update on the cells with bad welds.
Took them to a machine shop and told the guy I wanted them drilled down about 1/4 inch or a tad more. And showed him I had done this myself to one of them.
About a tad over a 1/4" you can see copper mated to the aluminum.
He did this to them except one where he kept going down and there was no copper and went all the way through. He threaded all of em including the one that was no bottom now. You can look down through the hole into the battery.
Paid him and put them into my car on my way to work. Got in my car at lunch and the fumes were intense. Smelled just like starting fluid. I was thinking did I have a can in here and it ruptured??
Then I remembered the cells in my trunk. Popped the trunk to check the cells out and they had turned over. The one cell that was drilled all the way through was spilling fluid out.
It was the starting fluid smell I was smelling.

Don't know what they have in it but it smells just like starting fluid and it also removes ink like starting fluid and dries up fairly quick just like starting fluid.

I remembered i had a grub screw and screwed it the post that's all the way through to help it stop smelling and leaking if it turns over again.

Here is some pics

First 2 pics is the copper bottom. Other pic is the one with no copper bottom... and leaking fluid.

20231117_185341.jpg20231117_185348.jpg20231117_185447.jpg20231117_185507.jpg

I was just thinking about the alignment of these cells. Since the post is gone and now has a threaded rod it's going to be a different height. The busbars is going to be flat on one post and angled on another because of the difference of height.
Might have to buy some busbars that is branded to have a flat contact point for both sides. But I'm going to test it out first.

The one cell that was drilled all the way through was spilling fluid out.
It was the starting fluid smell I was smelling.
That's Hydrofluoric Acid, hope you didn't get any on you, it readily penetrates skin and can cause severe deep tissue damage and even break down bones. https://www.uthsc.edu/research/safety/documents/sop-hydrofluoric-acid.pdf

1) Skin Contact
HF differs from other protic acids because the fluoride ion readily penetrates the skin, causing
the destruction of deep tissue layers. This process may continue for days if left untreated. Strong
acid concentrations (over 50%), “cause immediate, severe, burning pain and a whitish
discoloration of the skin which usually proceeds to blister formation.” In contrast, the effects of
more dilute solutions may be delayed. The latency period for symptoms (redness, swelling, and
blistering) to appear after exposure to aqueous HF solutions in the 20-50% range may be up to
eight hours. Solutions less than 20% may not produce symptoms for up to twenty-four hours.
Fluoride ions form insoluble salts with calcium and magnesium in bodily tissue. Soluble salts
can form with other cations, which dissociate rapidly causing further disruption and damage to
tissue. The severe, throbbing pain associated with HF burns is thought to result from nerve
irritation due to potassium cations entering the extracellular space to compensate for reduced
calcium ion concentrations.
Fluoride poisoning is associated with hypocalcemia (low calcium levels), hyperkalemia (high
potassium levels), hypomagnesemia (low magnesium levels), and sudden death. Systemic
hypocalcemia should be considered a risk whenever the body surface area of skin burns from
concentrated HF exceed 25 in2 (160 cm2), or about the size of the palm of your hand.
Concentrated HF burns can be fatal if only 2% of the body surface area is exposed.

That's Hydrofluoric Acid, hope you didn't get any on you, it readily penetrates skin and can cause severe deep tissue damage and even break down bones. https://www.uthsc.edu/research/safety/documents/sop-hydrofluoric-acid.pdf

1) Skin Contact
HF differs from other protic acids because the fluoride ion readily penetrates the skin, causing
the destruction of deep tissue layers. This process may continue for days if left untreated. Strong
acid concentrations (over 50%), “cause immediate, severe, burning pain and a whitish
discoloration of the skin which usually proceeds to blister formation.” In contrast, the effects of
more dilute solutions may be delayed. The latency period for symptoms (redness, swelling, and
blistering) to appear after exposure to aqueous HF solutions in the 20-50% range may be up to
eight hours. Solutions less than 20% may not produce symptoms for up to twenty-four hours.
Fluoride ions form insoluble salts with calcium and magnesium in bodily tissue. Soluble salts
can form with other cations, which dissociate rapidly causing further disruption and damage to
tissue. The severe, throbbing pain associated with HF burns is thought to result from nerve
irritation due to potassium cations entering the extracellular space to compensate for reduced
Fluoride poisoning is associated with hypocalcemia (low calcium levels), hyperkalemia (high
potassium levels), hypomagnesemia (low magnesium levels), and sudden death. Systemic
hypocalcemia should be considered a risk whenever the body surface area of skin burns from
concentrated HF exceed 25 in2 (160 cm2), or about the size of the palm of your hand.
Concentrated HF burns can be fatal if only 2% of the body surface area is exposed.

Sounds like good stuff to add to toothpaste.

I hope I didn't get much on me because I didn't blister up or have redness etc

1) Skin Contact
Someone posted a doc with the composition of the electrolyte in LiFePO4 batteries. Don't recall HF acid being on the list. It was in the post about the battery pack in Germany that was suspected in a house explosion.

Edit: went back to find it. The reference is about Li-ion battery composition, though it under the LiFePO4 section of the website. Another source says this:
"The most commonly used electrolyte is comprised of lithium salt, such as LiPF6 in an organic solution."

So while fluorine seems to be present, it's part of a salt, not filled with HF.

Here's a SDS for LiFePO4 cells:

Last edited:
Someone posted a doc with the composition of the electrolyte in LiFePO4 batteries. Don't recall HF acid being on the list. It was in the post about the battery pack in Germany that was suspected in a house explosion.

Edit: went back to find it. The reference is about Li-ion battery composition, though it under the LiFePO4 section of the website. Another source says this:
"The most commonly used electrolyte is comprised of lithium salt, such as LiPF6 in an organic solution."

So while fluorine seems to be present, it's part of a salt, not filled with HF.

Here's a SDS for LiFePO4 cells:
It's formed from the electrolyte reacting with moisture, the carbon coating on the cathode is fluorine doped, when exposed to water the electrolyte releases fluorine gas and hydrofluoric acid. It is a lower concentration (aprox 4-10%) but that can actually be more dangerous, as the are no acute symptoms but it still readily penatrates the skin, and by the time you realize you've been exposed it can already be too late.

It's formed from the electrolyte reacting with moisture, the carbon coating on the cathode is fluorine doped, when exposed to water the electrolyte releases fluorine gas and hydrofluoric acid. It is a lower concentration (aprox 4-10%) but that can actually be more dangerous, as the are no acute symptoms but it still readily penatrates the skin, and by the time you realize you've been exposed it can already be too late.
isn't hydrofluoric acid the stuff they dissolved bodies in on Breaking Bad?

So you guys are saying it's not safe to use the battery inside my car? ?

I know driving home the other night I had my windows down. I was freezing but rather smell the fresh air vs that battery. It was pretty rough. Can still smell it right now getting in my car but no where near as strong

So you guys are saying it's not safe to use the battery inside my car? ?

I know driving home the other night I had my windows down. I was freezing but rather smell the fresh air vs that battery. It was pretty rough. Can still smell it right now getting in my car but no where near as strong
It's safe as long as it doesn't vent or get drilled into...
Build your enclosure for mobile applications, use separators between the cells, restrain the cells so they don't move and don't charge aggressively and you should be fine.
I wouldn't hesitate to use lifepo4 in a vehicle, I will buy an EV powered by lifepo4 cells when more become available in the states.

It's safe as long as it doesn't vent or get drilled into...
Build your enclosure for mobile applications, use separators between the cells, restrain the cells so they don't move and don't charge aggressively and you should be fine.
I wouldn't hesitate to use lifepo4 in a vehicle, I will buy an EV powered by lifepo4 cells when more become available in the states.
This is a DIY forum…. :) :p

This is a DIY forum…. :) :p
I've already spent a few hours looking for motors for an old Sonoma I have as well as a replacement motor for my GTI.
The money and time I'd have into swapping the Sonoma wouldn't be worth it. It would hurt to bad to swap the GTI, it's been modified just a little bit heavily...
By the time I get done swapping something I'd be better off buying for a few grand more.

Back