diy solar

diy solar

Are we getting 'trolled'?

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
It seems to me there is a sudden flood of new users that are asking super-vague questions without details that seem calculated to use up as much research time for a answer-er as possible. And getting them to clarify what they're asking about is like pulling teeth.

This is beyond the usual lazy 'please-tell-me-everything-without-me-having-research-it-myself' type that could answer their own questions with a 30 second google search. This seems...... calculated.

I think it may also be people who have no real idea about solar / renewables and are reacting to recent events and trying to find out more. There have been a few that I think may be classed as "troll" which I've read. Then there are the inevitable people who simply do not know "How to ask a question properly", like they should have been taught in grade school. Hmmmm, would SNAFU be suitable ? :confused:

I just hate that everything that has been asked has already been answered multiple times. If they can't be bothered to use the SEARCH function, I have no response for them.

I think that part of the problem is that too many of the "regulars" on here are too nice and too accommodating, and like to give the impression that DIY solar is easy. The truth is it's not easy and it's not for everyone.

I'd recommend the opposite. There should be a disclaimer at the beginning outlining what will be expected of you:
  • a basic understanding of how to manage a project - and yes; there will be Math - no way around it!
  • acceptance that you are the "champion" of your project. Others will gladly answer your questions but you need to know what to ask and what to do with the answer.
  • DIY doesn't mean free: If you realistically don't have the expertise and the time to spend in your busy life to DIY then you should expect to hire a pro like you do with everything else.
  • and so on .... add prerequisites here.

Considering this site is growing at a rate of 1K users every two weeks, it feels normal to have people from every level of experience joining. When I see posts like that, I just assume they truly are beginners and try to answer their question as good as possible, and add a link or two to other posts they might want to read. Maybe it's just a matter of them being overwhelmed and they just need a push in the right direction.

As long as they realize there is a learning curve, it should be fine. If there are some trolls, so be it - I might have wasted a reply, but rather that then not replying to people who genuinely don't know how to start and might not even know how a forum works (I see this sadly way too often).

I just hate that everything that has been asked has already been answered multiple times. If they can't be bothered to use the SEARCH function, I have no response for them.
Ok, that sounded kind of harsh, wasn't meant to be. But when it's obvious from the questions that no effort to research first was made, I pass over the thread. Maybe a couple of sticky threads with pointers to easy answers or suggested search criteria. A short message when they first join the forum to take advantage of the search option before posting a question. The forum has become flooded with "how do I size my wire" or "I want to power a fridge" or someone who bought hardware before they know what they are doing with it.

More than happy to help, but when the questions are continually redundant, well... I have other things to do.

It seems to me there is a sudden flood of new users that are asking super-vague questions without details that seem calculated to use up as much research time for a answer-er as possible. And getting them to clarify what they're asking about is like pulling teeth.

This is beyond the usual lazy 'please-tell-me-everything-without-me-having-research-it-myself' type that could answer their own questions with a 30 second google search. This seems...... calculated.

I'm new but only because I just found this site. But my background is that of an electronics engineer so hopefully I can give a bit back to the community.

I do think that there is a ton of YouTube videos on how to build 272/280AH packs that is causing a lot of the RV/Camping/Vanlife folks to find these forums in a quest for cheaper lithium packs and solar systems. Also the whole RV/boon-docking/vagabond lifestyle is booming due to COVID enabling people to work remotely.

There are some obvious “I’m not going to search” types, but there are also a lot of newbies that don’t know what to search. If someone looks to be just lazy or inconsiderate, I leave that alone. If someone is asking a question that is common for people new to the solar world, I try to direct them to an answer. The questions are often repeated because we all come through the same door of ignorance at some point, and gain knowledge from others. They’re just at that place many of us are past.

This is a cool forum largely because there are helpful people, Will being among those. The level of a-hole-ness is low, as it should be.

If I have something to contribute, I do. If I either don’t know/don’t like the question/think the person asking is being lazy, I just move on. Leaving a douchy answer or comment would say more about the kind of person I am than it corrects anyone else. No need for it. True troll comments get reported.

...The forum has become flooded with "how do I ...
I thought that after the first few months the website started... it was the genesis for the FAQ posts.

Now adays, a lot of times I give a quick answer and then copy/paste the links from the main FAQ index and delete out the non-relevant ones. I figure pointing them to the golden oldies will get them jump-started to where they can use the search effectively ... something like:
Other links you might find useful:
  • In the FAQ:
    • How many panels do I need
    • Do I need Batteries
    • Will a modified sine wave Inverter work for me
    • What tilt angle should I use?

Other FAQ links:
I'd much rather keep those up-to-date, have them well written/reviewed, and redirect folks to them.

There are several times I've just posted the link to the search results for what they're looking for. For Example, if asking about pumps... man there's a lot on pumps.
This might help:
The problem with being totally new is you might not know enough to know about the existing resources.

I typically only give a detailed answer if I have some time, haven't seen the question in a while, or it has some particularly interesting wrinkle.

Last edited:
I wish people would scroll down a little further to the subforums other than the "General Discussion". There are a lot of good answers lower down.

I wish people would scroll down a little further to the subforums other than the "General Discussion". There are a lot of good answers lower down.
For the first few months of visiting here, I swore there were like 6 sub forums. There are actually way more! lol

i usually check “what’s new” to discover threads but sometimes go to specific sub forums

anyways, regarding the vague posts, i think it might be partly ignorance (in a good way)

it’s not always obvious what sort of diagnostic information to share, be it photos or specifications, so i like to spur that on where applicable. usually people will respond productively with more info about system design goals and bam ball rolling.

On the other hand its pretty awesome when somebody comes along and you actually get to help them help themselves.
Especially the folks that don't have much money and you get to literally help them illuminate their world.

Face it... most members on here that help have a TON of experience with all of this... and understanding the crater of details needed is second nature to us.

the average tv viewer out there giggles when the tv dad tries to fix their lamp, knowing it is going to explode...

many want to hook up a battery and a solar panel and power their house... with zero clue how insane that would be.

helping on the forum is NOT a prerequisite to membership, and it shouldn’t be required to understand everything before joining either.
Our society is used to public school showing what the questions and answers are... no thinking, just regurgitating books... and nobody likes that.
Everybody is skilled in some way, be it a librarian, an auto mechanic, a lawyer, a nuclear physicist, a video game player, or a homemaker... skills rarely line up and if something as different as battery and solar needs can be... learned...
Some people will need to be spoon fed. With very small spoons.

Back