diy solar

diy solar

At what price does LFP storage make it possible to go off-grid?

Cost per cycle isn't a particularly good measure, IMO.

Actual energy throughput over the battery's expected period of use is the metric to be dividing the cost by.

How long a period one uses a battery is going to depend on each use case.
But for instance, let's say we look at a decade. It might be longer, it might be shorter.

32 x 280Ah cells is approx 28kWh. If this is off-grid and capacity utilisation averages, say 40%, then
over 10 years the cost per kWh = $6,132 / (28kWh * 365.25 days/year * 10 years * 40% utilisation)
= 15c/kWh

40% utilisation might be high, depends on how much battery you need to cover for periods of low insolation. Lower utilisation increases the c/kWh.

This is why you size a pack to what the usage will be and expected draw during low solar input. I used this https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#SA for this purpose and also took into account the tilt of PV. The mount I have is adjustable tilt with just a crank to move it according to sun horizon. It cost more but I felt long term it was the best choice. This also allows me to fully utilize battery capacity without excessive storage I may never need.

Now add the generation cost, redundancy costs, maintenance/upkeep costs....
The thread is really about LFP batteries only and at what price does it make it possible to go off grid, in other words, what price point does it make to add storage capability compared to grid storage (net metering). For that reason, I indicated what my cost per Kw is with my current batteries. If I cycle them daily and use 70% to 80% of the storage in these batteries, I'm still below the cost of Kwh purchased from the grid.

Yes, total system cost is involved in the overall picture. The question is for those who look at grid tie vs off grid (grid or generator backup optional). That install is really already factored in for PV, mounts, some wiring and some type of inverter. Really, I consider a comparison between the two as a wash. Load reduction or off grid with grid backup is much less for permitting, inspections in many locations. Licensed electrician vs DIY. But really when it comes down to it, the cost on that end is pretty much even.

I think perhaps rather than focus on numbers per se, it might help if we work towards an agreed process for calculating the per kWh cost which anyone can use and plug in the values for the variables applicable in their individual case.
Agreed, everyone will be different so it's the math that's important. In the prior examples (and this one ; -) the numbers are meant as examples. Here's the math and some examples presented again so folks can suggest fine-tuning them:

Math
Ultimately, the math is: value - cost. Where the value is the $ paid to the utility and the cost is that of a total replacement solution.
In order to replace the grid you need power generation and energy storage if it's not dependable.

The value is fairly straightforward, it's the savings between paying the grid and paying for the energy generation adjusted for inflation.
The costs are a bit more complicated. It's the cost of the energy storage plus backup generator adjusted to the same timeframe as the solar (e.g., if the ESS calendar ages to 10 years you double its cost to get to 20 years).

Value Example
In post #36 we calculated that solar with a DIY installed cost of $1/W had a lifetime per kWh cost of $0.034.
Let's say the $total bill amount / total monthly kWh for the lowest monthly value on your bill comes to $0.15/kWh. Then

($0.15 - 0.034) * 365 * 20 = $846.80​
This is the minimum amount of money saved per kWh of power over the lifetime of the equipment (20 years) if you could switch away from the grid. That is it's the money available to replace the grid after solar is installed.

If you think 2% inflation is reasonable, then adjust that to $1092, or $1214 at 3%. Everyone has to plug their own numbers that they're comfortable with to get the real value.

Cost Example
As an example of the costs, let's use $0.156/wh as the price of the Energy storage. For LFP to last 20 years cycle wise you need 3d autonomy (see post #1). But, there's doubt they'll calendar-age that long, so to be conservative we can use a decade. From the cycle life the minimum capacity for a decade is 112%, but let's use 200% (2-day autonomy) to again be conservative. For the generator let's say it'll last 20 years and costs $1000.
So, thats $156 kWh battery costs * 2 day autonomy * 20 years needed / 10 year life + $1000 for generator / 20 years = $674/kWh.

In this example, $846 savings - $674 costs = $172 > 0, so going completely off-grid would more than break even if your power usage/consumption were consistent throughout the year. Would it save you money? It depends. For example, if you invested that $647 at 1.5% then no.

The goal for me was to get a ballpark number to know if I should do a more detailed analysis. It looks like I should ; -)
So hopefully you all keep coming up with ideas to refine the math. Possibly it can be turned into a spreadsheet or something. The OP used a specific number for the maximum kWh used which seems to be more useful than assuming every month is the same. The devil is in the details (e.g., batteries have to cover maximum seasonal usage, round trip losses need to be accounted for, will a generator really last 20 years). In my situation power usage is very asymetric (lots in summer and nothing in winter) and sizing for the worse case is going to favor staying on-grid.

Let's say you do your energy audit and recognise that to manage through periods of poor insolation, and/or times of year where daily consumption is seasonally much higher the battery needs to be (say) 3x your average daily consumption.
I think you need a generator if you're going off-grid, in which case days of autonomy isn't as important as DoD to hypermile the battery. So, calendar aging is the real critical factor.

That's great. Except for large parts of the year you won't use the full capacity of the battery every day.
No help for it. But, it does play into DoD and therefore battery longevity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwy
Meat prices haven't gone up at the butcher shop we use?
less demand for meat, people switching to vegetarian options. No value statement implied one way or the other, pure economics demand and supply.

The good thing about rising energy prices are that more people are looking into efficiencies. When energy prices are stable, people just get used to them and don't think about them anymore.

Really, I consider a comparison between the two as a wash. Load reduction or off grid with grid backup is much less for permitting, inspections in many locations. Licensed electrician vs DIY. But really when it comes down to it, the cost on that end is pretty much even.

Many locations (even in the US with low energy prices) Off-Grid is already cheaper then Grid Tied. You have to factor in the time value of money, with money today you can buy more then with the same money tomorrow. The money you spend on Grid energy is gone, it's not going into a physical asset.

For your balance sheet - instead of having a expense - you invest into an asset.

Most of the inflation we're seeing is in the price of gasoline so far. I have a 2020 Bolt on lease that's costing about $.02 a mile to drive since I'm averaging over 4.5 miles per kw and I'm charging it with the 16oz. of silver I keep on my roof. Gasoline can hit $6 a gallon and I don't care.
I was watching a video about the Fed having to raise interest rates and intentionally letting the air out of the stock markets last night. Interesting part in inflation, the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows electric rates increased by 6.5% year over year.

Transportation was a big one, however if you drive less miles, it isn't that huge of an impact. Think of it this way, you own a vehicle that gets 20 mpg, you drive 10,000 miles. Fuel used yearly is 500 gallons. If fuel goes up $0.50, that's an increase of $250 per year, just over $20 per month.

Now, if your electric bill was $250/month, an increase of 6.5% is $16.25 per month.

It's more the thought if the solar power system goes down, then you don't have anything. Whereas if you kept the grid tie, you might still have power.
If the solar goes down (it does every night after all) there's the battery, then the generator. You can also hedge your bet, for example with microinverters there's no single point of solar failure.

less demand for meat, people switching to vegetarian options. No value statement implied one way or the other, pure economics demand and supply.

The good thing about rising energy prices are that more people are looking into efficiencies. When energy prices are stable, people just get used to them and don't think about them anymore.

They really like boiling the frog at low heat, have inflation but keep it at a level where people don't notice as much. Just keep creeping up prices.

The Fed is raising rates because the average working person is noticing the much higher prices of everyday items. This puts pressure on the White House and party in control of Congress as this is an election year. So they put pressure on the Fed as they know people vote with their checkbook.

Many locations (even in the US with low energy prices) Off-Grid is already cheaper then Grid Tied. You have to factor in the time value of money, with money today you can buy more then with the same money tomorrow. The money you spend on Grid energy is gone, it's not going into a physical asset.

For your balance sheet - instead of having a expense - you invest into an asset.
I agree 100%.

...6000 cycles = $0.03785...Does it meet the criteria for the title of this thread?
It's a battery price, but doesn't give a value proposition as you need to know the value and other costs under consideration.
Nice price point though!

Florida kWH is going up by 20% or more this year alone.
Not an expert, but as I understand it, that increase is only on the "power", so while it sounds like a lot, it's 1.2*$0.07 = 0.084. So, if you're "grand" total after all the taxes, surcharges, grid maintenance fees, etc is $0.15/kWh, it'll increase to $0.164/kWh, not $0.15 * 1.2 = $0.18/kWh.
At least, as a Floridian, I sure hope that's the case.

You know what's really funny about that increase? As I understand it, a good part of it is to pay for solar farms...yep... we're paying so the utilities will own the solar so they can continue to charge us.

...pondering ...the possibility of adding energy content... by hydrogenation, using surplus electrical generation from PV....
Interesting! I bet there are studies on that.

Florida kWH is going up by 20% or more this year alone.

all products of your daily life use energy to show up at your door or store.

I've used to work in Energy Economics: Our Motto was: All cost Are Energy cost.

It just takes time for an increase in Energy cost to trickle through. There is a lag time involved.
Your grocery store lighting and cooling cost went up. That trickles through faster
The Grocery store employees power bill went up - that will take a little longer.

Energy cost are a key indicator for coming inflation.
I completely agree and the same is true in reverse.
I mentioned I worked as an electrician for 30 years. Most of it was in heavy powerhouse construction but when my neck was really bothering me and I needed a break from that big work, I'd slip over and do some Energy Management work as it never involved anything in rigid conduit or wire that weighed 1lb. per inch. Nothing larger than 3/4" emt and plenum wire.
Energy cost is a moving target.
How we utilize energy is evolving everyday to more efficient methods.
Back in '99 myself and another did all of the energy management work during the construction for the EPA regional headquarters in Kansas City, Ks. At the time it was state of the art in energy management which meant lots of air handling and at the same time commercial lighting was improving and upgrading from T12 to T8 fluorescent lighting. Everything we did was to save energy. Jump forward 20 years and that same building has been repurposed into a mental health facility and completely upgraded. No doubt my bros. in Kansas City went through that entire 6 story building and replaced every fluorescent fixture in it with LED lighting. Knowing the business as I do, I'd be surprised if the lighting they replaced with the LED tech, wasn't T5 fluorescent that had replaced T8 tech 10 years ago.
Going back to my origins the Imperial Valley, at one time produced 20% of the nation's winter produce. Now with water shortages they have converted large swaths of farm ground and installed literally millions of solar panels. Making solar power is much cheaper (not to mention cleaner) than the #5 fuel oil we burned in our boilers. Otherwise this website wouldn't even exist.
The unwashed masses have no idea how fast this is evolving.
How many solar power plants are there in California?
A total of 770 operating Solar power plants, with an installed capacity about 13,989 megawatts, are in California. Prior to the Renewable Portfolio Standards in 2002, 13 solar thermal power projects were planned in California, with 11 of those filing applications with the Energy Commission.
My bros. wired every single one of those panels.
1643287950979.png

Actually only know a few vegans. Ever hear of a Victory Garden? Been happening around here since WW2. We still trade with neighbors.

I was watching a video about the Fed having to raise interest rates and intentionally letting the air out of the stock markets last night. Interesting part in inflation, the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows electric rates increased by 6.5% year over year.

Now, if your electric bill was $250/month, an increase of 6.5% is $16.25 per month.
At this point I agree with the fed action. It will serve to dampen the wild increases in home prices. I have always believed that housing should not be thought of as a place to make quick money. After WW2 the middle class was created and a whole generation of Americans left the farm for the city. They bought tract homes and were community minded. Back then you did not buy a home to make money with. You bought a home to be part of that community and if you moved and sold that home you were completely satisfied if you got your original investment out so you could transfer it into another home.
Then came the inflation of the 70s and early 80s. I sold a house in '82 that I purchased in '79 that increased in value by over 45%. That's a pretty good return in 3 years...if you aren't the buyer. That's what we've been seeing today and it needs to stop. By the time it went critical back then mortgage rates had gone through the roof and the economy ground to a halt. Pay cuts were much more common than raises even while inflation raged on.. I had what was considered a really good rate @7.5%. So interest rates have a long ways to go from here. Buckle up.

I think you need to be careful how you interpret those rate increases. That is going to be much more regional than national. I'm not paying the rate increases that SDG&E is imposing on their customers as an Entergy customer or whatever the providers on the Texas grid are doing with their customers. Even within Entergy the rates are divided between the states it serves. We aren't being charged for the New Orleans dissater for example where I am and New Orleans isn't paying for the damage in Mississippi. Each zone within Entergy is governed by local commissions. In my jurisdiction Entergy has been fighting for 2 years for a paltry 4% rate increase and have yet to get any sympathy from the Public Service Commission. Not saying it won't happen, in fact I'm counting on it. That's the whole purpose behind installing solar. I'm "prepaying" for my power tomorrow at today's rates.

It's a battery price, but doesn't give a value proposition as you need to know the value and other costs under consideration.
Nice price point though!
I went back and read your original post. I can see why you're having a hard time with the value/cost of a battery system. The reason is you're thinking of 3d autonomy, possibly completely off grid; when other members are looking at having grid or generator backup.

In my case, the battery system is 27 Kw. House usage per day is on average 18 Kwh. That's with everything running when ever my wife wants to run it. Biggest power consumers that aren't run daily are dishwasher, dryer and washing machine. The other biggest draw is the well pump, that isn't an optional thing daily. I may add one more 48V 280Ah battery, I already have 8 cells here I bought for another project I'm not using and might just source another 8 to utilize them.

This is what happens if the grid goes down as it is the backup, no autostart generator. We cut usage of optional items; the dishwasher, the dryer and washing machine. All other essential items are run. Usage will drop to under 12 Kwh per day. That gives 2d autonomy. If my wife decided to use the washing machine, she could use it after batteries are fully charged on a sunny day and PV is producing. As for winter months with less PV available, I spent a little extra on the mount and I'm able to tilt for slope according to the season. To me, that extra expense was well worth it, the mount was engineered to handle snow load here and the high winds ( up to 100 mph) we see on occasion. Mount is heavy, I figure lifespan will be 40 years if not more and outlast me. I ran the calculator here https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#SA to determine if indeed I was on the right track for battery size and PV slope/output thru the seasons.

It's pretty rare when the power goes out here that we won't have full sun out of 3 days. Usually, a snowstorm comes thru and the following day, high pressure moves in and no clouds. If it really came down to it, I do have portable gennys to handle an extended power outage over a longer period and no sun, I guess if that nuclear winter comes along. :)

As I explained in another post, I consider PV and other costs associated with production to be a wash whether grid tie or battery system. In fact, I really think a battery system from ground up is cheaper than grid tie. As for lifespan of components, many of these units are too soon to say just how long they will last. We are early adopters in this venture and as such we have the risk of component failure prematurely.

I think too many get caught up in this idea that they need 3d autonomy and a huge PV array where they can power the house without any conservation if needed, sizing a battery with only 35 to 40% utilization and not having a backup source of power (grid or genny). I don't consider that a good plan, the money spent with absolutely no return on the investment drags the whole return down. I sized my system based upon what size was needed with a solid plan for extending limited power when needed.

Proper planning makes for an efficient system and one that is most cost effective.

If the solar goes down (it does every night after all) there's the battery, then the generator. You can also hedge your bet, for example with microinverters there's no single point of solar failure.
Depends what fails on the system. Something could fail and even grid wouldn't help you.

What I was saying is that if you have a grid tie already, then it makes no sense to get rid of it even it there is a small cost per month to keep it.

I went back and read your original post. I can see why you're having a hard time with the value/cost of a battery system. The reason is you're thinking of 3d autonomy, possibly completely off grid; when other members are looking at having grid or generator backup.

In my case, the battery system is 27 Kw. House usage per day is on average 18 Kwh. That's with everything running when ever my wife wants to run it. Biggest power consumers that aren't run daily are dishwasher, dryer and washing machine. The other biggest draw is the well pump, that isn't an optional thing daily. I may add one more 48V 280Ah battery, I already have 8 cells here I bought for another project I'm not using and might just source another 8 to utilize them.

This is what happens if the grid goes down as it is the backup, no autostart generator. We cut usage of optional items; the dishwasher, the dryer and washing machine. All other essential items are run. Usage will drop to under 12 Kwh per day. That gives 2d autonomy. If my wife decided to use the washing machine, she could use it after batteries are fully charged on a sunny day and PV is producing. As for winter months with less PV available, I spent a little extra on the mount and I'm able to tilt for slope according to the season. To me, that extra expense was well worth it, the mount was engineered to handle snow load here and the high winds ( up to 100 mph) we see on occasion. Mount is heavy, I figure lifespan will be 40 years if not more and outlast me. I ran the calculator here https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#SA to determine if indeed I was on the right track for battery size and PV slope/output thru the seasons.

It's pretty rare when the power goes out here that we won't have full sun out of 3 days. Usually, a snowstorm comes thru and the following day, high pressure moves in and no clouds. If it really came down to it, I do have portable gennys to handle an extended power outage over a longer period and no sun, I guess if that nuclear winter comes along. :)

As I explained in another post, I consider PV and other costs associated with production to be a wash whether grid tie or battery system. In fact, I really think a battery system from ground up is cheaper than grid tie. As for lifespan of components, many of these units are too soon to say just how long they will last. We are early adopters in this venture and as such we have the risk of component failure prematurely.

I think too many get caught up in this idea that they need 3d autonomy and a huge PV array where they can power the house without any conservation if needed, sizing a battery with only 35 to 40% utilization and not having a backup source of power (grid or genny). I don't consider that a good plan, the money spent with absolutely no return on the investment drags the whole return down. I sized my system based upon what size was needed with a solid plan for extending limited power when needed.

Proper planning makes for an efficient system and one that is most cost effective.
^^^THIS^^^

None of it looks overly hard to me and I already have solar & some batteries. It will require a lot of work on my part digging through real data rather than some back-of-the-envelope math present in the OP to know if I should do it or not. But yes, the basic premise of the thread is to get the math straight to find the LFP cost to completely turn off the grid. I'm not saying you should do or not, just wondering what that price actually is to practically do so and how far away we are from it. From the OP, we're not all that far (in some cases).

At your cell price point ($156/kWh) in #84, then from the math in #122 we know 2d autonomy with a generator at a grid cost of $0.15/kWh with 2% inflation works out to $172/kWh savings if you've symmetric year-round usage. My usage is very asymmetric (very little in winter and a lot in summer), so it needs more analysis. It would probably work out very well if LTO can calendar age to 30 years.

With LFP, from the OP, there is a reason for 3d autonomy ... with that many days of autonomy you're daily average Depth of Discharge is 33%, from the graph in the OP that means LFP should reach 80% capacity after 20 years. The problem with that is calendaring aging Vs. cycle aging. So if you believe the calendar aging is an issue then 3d isn't important.

A lot of folks believe the calendar age is only a decade to 80% capacity. I think of that as a worst-case scenario, so makes sense to use it knowing if it goes longer I'm just saving more, but in doing so to get to a decade you only need about 112% for the daily usage, but figure 2d autonomy means a lot less generator time.

...I consider PV and other costs associated with production to be a wash whether grid tie or battery system. In fact, I really think a battery system from ground up is cheaper than grid tie.
It does appear to be the case for symmetric usage patterns and is for LTO if you've room for them and they calendar age past 20 years with symmetric usage. I need to run the numbers for the asymmetric cases to have a better opinion.

To go off-grid and have a few days autonomy at the height of summer is probably what will kill it for me, it's just stranded capital the rest of the year. Even on gloomy days I usually get some power, I could go through a couple years of my data to find my 3d minimum output, but really it's not important...that's what the generator is for and it only needs to do a complete recharge per day.

As for lifespan of components, many of these units are too soon to say just how long they will last.
I figure the warranty is as good as anything for component longevity. I have microinverters now (25-year warranty) and my LFPs have 10 years at 80% capacity so that's what I'll go with for my more detailed calculations.

We are early adopters in this venture
The math also only works out for DIYers. That's why I figure it's fairly legislation safe (e.g., they tax us for being off-grid), there just won't be enough of us. It could change of course if solid-state is like $50/kWh.

I think too many get caught up in this idea that they need 3d autonomy and a huge PV array
Could be, but that's not me. I didn't include the generator in the OP because it's mostly noise considering the margin for error in the calculations presented. It's in all the subsequent posts just because people worry about it. I wouldn't even need a generator, I could just run an extension cord to the neighbor's grid and tell him I'll pay him 5x the grid rate. If I had to do that 3x per year for a total of 150 kWh/yr, over 20 years would cost $450 and I wouldn't have to worry about generator maintenance. ; -).

Mainly I started the thread for the reasons in the OP, I was surprised that for a DIYer going off-grid wasn't necessarily as crazy as I had previously thought. Good discussion stuff.

Amen.

^^^THIS^^^

^^^THAT^^^ ; -)

the Fed having to raise interest rates
this point I agree with the fed action. It will serve to dampen the wild increases in home prices.
increased in value by over 45%. That's a pretty good return in 3 years...if you aren't the buyer.
The Fed VS Inflation
What is inflation?

Does it matter if The Machine sloughs debt by interest rates rising as opposed to visible inflation?

The good return in three years isn’t / wasn’t an increase in value - it was an increase in price. AKA cost.
Supply/demand whether manipulated either hands-on by the govt printing currency or by a NGO like a private bank (the fed) isn’t usually creating returns/profit on value it’s nearly always reflective of the increased cost of money aka inflation.

That is why CPI of today isn’t useful comparing standards of living as gains to, say, 1975, when apportioned for income to CPI. Value isn’t always proportional to CPI / inflation.

“Dampening the wild increases in home prices” is just shifting from visible inflation to a less discernible suppression of the economy imho. The value component remains the same just like a barrel of oil in 2008/9 that took more of something (dollars) of lessened value to obtain the same ‘fixed’ value commodity (crude oil).

The Fed VS Inflation
What is inflation?

Does it matter if The Machine sloughs debt by interest rates rising as opposed to visible inflation?

“Dampening the wild increases in home prices” is just shifting from visible inflation to a less discernible suppression of the economy imho. The value component remains the same just like a barrel of oil in 2008/9 that took more of something (dollars) of lessened value to obtain the same ‘fixed’ value commodity (crude oil).
I see it first as a way to stifle irrational market exuberance, as in bidding wars that have been taking place in resi housing mkts. The value component does remain the same. Landlords raise rents on rumors not necessarily due to their own higher costs. Gougers thrive.

Back