diy solar

diy solar

Batrium Installation

Kristof

1977 Airstream Off Grid Trailer
Hey folks - Thought I would update you on my new BMS.

Reason for switching: Initially on this same battery (EVE 280AH 24v 8S1P) I had an ELECTRODACUS. It was a confusing/technically tough install and did not give enough juice as a balancer - also was a passive balancer. I lost power a few times due to cell management issues and while I loved the little unit, I wanted a Bluetooth option on my phone to monitor the situation, much like my other VICTRON devices. I moved on to an Overkill Solar 24V 8S1P unit and recently while camping it fried out on me. Needless to say I was not happy and spend some time looking at other options. I think the maturity level of the BATRIUM CORE and the mechanical relays was what sold me. The price was very high compared to all the other options but the way the LONGMONs work with each cell and the really advanced manner in which you can not only monitor but control the activity of the battery and ancillary devices (heating and cooling in particular as well as critical shut off).

I decided to get the CORE, ISOMON, 500Amp SHUNT, 8 X LONGMON and EXPANSION 3. I like the fact they ride on a DIN rail and you can see from the pictures they mount well. The wiring that comes with them is outstanding and so easy to use once you figure it out. There are videos to help you, a great wiki and none of the material was translated from Chinese. The WIFI setup was tricky and not sure if it was me or the CORE but long story after playing with it using the USB cable and my laptop over a few days, it now works a treat. The WINDOWS based APP is easy to set up and the video guides you through. I had to get a BLUE SEA Solenoid for the RELAY A to use with CRITICAL functions. The expansion board I am using with RELAY B and C to control the heating and cooling of the battery (Pads and a Fan). While there are options to run a CAN BUS connection to the INVERTER/CHARGER, my VICTRON MULTI and SOLAR charger are very smart and if you set them up with the same parameters as the CORE, there are no issues. This is week one however and I can report more as the future unfolds. Overall I am very happy with the product and it is performing well.

Some notes from the pictures. There are two shunts, one for the LiFePO4 battery and the other for a Lead Carbon bank controlled by the VICTRON BMS with another 500Amp SHUNT. I also have a VICTRON battery protect that I have found is a backup to the critical battery shut down function but it is limited to just the regular load (you cannot put it in front of an inverter). The BLUE SEA Solenoid is hard to see but it is there. Also the rats nest over the battery has been cleaned up since I took these pictures.

:)

Attachments

• PXL_20221016_194523518.jpg
    PXL_20221016_194523518.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20221016_194530894.jpg
    PXL_20221016_194530894.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20221016_194535832.jpg
    PXL_20221016_194535832.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20221016_194541526.jpg
    PXL_20221016_194541526.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 24
Hopefully, you won't have any problems like these folks:

I have a WM5 with only mild annoyances, but support from Batrium appears to be poor. I haven't been particularly impressed with their responses to my issues.

can you link the Blue Sea Solenoid? I'm currently relying exclusively on Batrium control of my Victron hardware for safeties. Going to string a wire from expansion board relays to the MPPT/Inverter cut-off relays AND have a solenoid as well... that's three layers of protection. :)

Blue Sea 7717 ML-RBS Remote Battery Switch w/Manual Control Auto-Release - 24V.​

I talked directly to Blue Sea to make sure this one would work. It is really reliable - big clunk when it goes on or off.

Available on Amazon:

I never have had to go to Batrium yet for direct support but their email replies have been good about the Android APP (which does not work yet) and some issues with the WIFI. They are 14 hours out so have some thought about that. My daughter lives in Australia so we are used to the delay.

The Midnite Solar Remote Trip breakers should also work with the Batrium. You can configure the Batrium to send 200ms pulse to trip the breaker. I've not tested it yet.

Congratulations!

I have 2 Batriums - one for the home powerwall with 112 longmons
1666136375273.png
and another for the cargo trailer -> camper.

I really like the architecture as this has let me expand my powerwall bit by bit by adding packs/longmons over the last 4 years without having to change the infrastructure. Trailer wise, I understand they are built to be temperature / bounce robust - but who knows, is holding up so far.

Last edited:
That looks like a well thought out system - good one.

I have a soft spot for Batrium, i still use my 2012 Batrium “battery angel” in a 12V application. It has been good to see a very small (one man) operation expand and listen to customer input to create a comprehensive BMS.

For my specific 48V applications i moved away from Batrium to a simpler system that still met my needs. The versatility of the Batrium is also its handicap - it is complex to understand and implement fully.

The Midnite Solar Remote Trip breakers should also work with the Batrium. You can configure the Batrium to send 200ms pulse to trip the breaker. I've not tested it yet.
It works, I've got a 250a Midnite Solar remote trip breaker connected to my Batrium BMS.

It works, I've got a 250a Midnite Solar remote trip breaker connected to my Batrium BMS.
I was thinking of using this setting as well ... does the pulse send once like an interval relay ?
--- is on, ___ off in below "chart"

Signal ---------
relay ---______

Or for reverse pulse setting

Signal ---_____----
relay ___---______

Looking at the photos, the Expansion 3 doesn't require it's own power input?
EDIT:
YES ... There is no PWR input on the Expansion 3 ... it gets it from the connected watchmon. The limits are the voltages you can send through relays SSR's up to 65vdc, the manual relays 30vdc ... both 5A

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwy
I like my watchmon 4s and I'm very happy with them. But my last support incident was horrific on every level and went on for many months. During that time I never worked with Maxine who was great in the past. The new support person is terrible in every aspect. My core was doa on arrival and Maxine requested the return. After returning the new support person refused the repair. I forwarded all the emails from Maxine and they agreed to repair. After loosing it for 3 months they state it was found. I then pay for shipping a 3rd time only to get 1/2 of what I paid for. They said the daughter board was not working properly. So to get a working core I have to rebuy the daughter board and pay shipping a 4th time. I asked why you did not inform me you were only shipping part of the order so I could have purchased the board and it shipped with the repaired core. They said they would look into a resolution. After 3 weeks it was I need to buy the card and pay for shipping again. I responded that I did not want the board and hoped my watchmons last for a longtime. So I still do not have a full working core/spare.

Great products but they have decided to ruing it with borderline insulting emails, terrible communication and not fully honoring warranties.

Thanks, originally I didn't order an Expansion 3 board but purchased one when I decided to add 2 more K9's.

I like my watchmon 4s and I'm very happy with them. But my last support incident was horrific on every level and went on for many months. During that time I never worked with Maxine who was great in the past. The new support person is terrible in every aspect. My core was doa on arrival and Maxine requested the return. After returning the new support person refused the repair. I forwarded all the emails from Maxine and they agreed to repair. After loosing it for 3 months they state it was found. I then pay for shipping a 3rd time only to get 1/2 of what I paid for. They said the daughter board was not working properly. So to get a working core I have to rebuy the daughter board and pay shipping a 4th time. I asked why you did not inform me you were only shipping part of the order so I could have purchased the board and it shipped with the repaired core. They said they would look into a resolution. After 3 weeks it was I need to buy the card and pay for shipping again. I responded that I did not want the board and hoped my watchmons last for a longtime. So I still do not have a full working core/spare.

Great products but they have decided to ruing it with borderline insulting emails, terrible communication and not fully honoring warranties.
I saw you were having problems but I was already committed with the CORE and K9's already here.

I reached the stage where I'm finally implementing all of Batrium and I can say the manuals need some updating. Also, the recent news to use a 24V power supply indicates many failures must have occurred when running the CORE on 48V.

Lately it seems Batrium is pushing paid support.

I saw you were having problems but I was already committed with the CORE and K9's already here.

I reached the stage where I'm finally implementing all of Batrium and I can say the manuals need some updating. Also, the recent news to use a 24V power supply indicates many failures must have occurred when running the CORE on 48V.

They are great products but I would be interested to hear from others that have contacted them for support.

Partial support comes with purchase in the k9+core kits if I recall ... but it isn't specified to hours rather the types of questions if I recall.

Also, the recent news to use a 24V power supply indicates many failures must have occurred when running the CORE on 48V
I immediately turned off my build pending a dc-dc converter (which should arrive today) knowing "support" can be an issue and I don't want to "need" support by going against current guidance. But this is odd ... it seems like the circuit should have been designed for 48v + higher temps at the start vs "discovering" it later :/

I haven't used the relays yet but I do have it "wired" up here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...bank-and-sma-si-load-center.52698/post-673445

Going to try to configure something with the expansion board to control a radian 2 second switching breaker ... (see bottom)
The reason for the Expansion board in my case was if I wanted to add more batteries and add another ABB breaker so I could split the batteries into 2 banks. That is a possible future scenario, I might have to add another CORE too but it might be possible with just one.

Partial support comes with purchase in the k9+core kits if I recall ... but it isn't specified to hours rather the types of questions if I recall.

I was not aware of that, thanks.
I immediately turned off my build pending a dc-dc converter (which should arrive today) knowing "support" can be an issue and I don't want to "need" support by going against current guidance. But this is odd ... it seems like the circuit should have been designed for 48v + higher temps at the start vs "discovering" it later :/
Mechanical relays are rated 30V, considering there is one on the CORE, I can see why. Also, with different system voltages out there, 12V, 24V, 48V, it might be a case of the electronics used are for lower voltages and if you want to go higher than a 24V system the need for a converter would be wise.

It is interesting in the video you linked Batrium was running the CORE directly off 48V but now they want a converter to 24V used.

Back