diy solar

diy solar

Battery fuse blown twice

6000W won't blow one fuse.

Those battery terminals are far apart, unlike some other brands we've seen pictures of.

How long does precharge take? If too long and you rotated switch too soon, it would be defeated.
The 6000W was at mid day. When it blew it was at around 500W (according to my emporia energy app).

I usually count to three and watch the display kick in on the inverters.

Low energy usage, no active charging. Very confused as the cause…

I'd start eliminating some variables. Disconnect the charge controller (verter) first.

Replace the fuses with some breakers to keep the cost down.

I usually count to three and watch the display kick in on the inverters.

Not sure what voltage that would be. DC/DC converter putting out 5V, what minimum input required?
Put a volt meter on it next time, see what voltage it has risen to by the time you usually switch on.

"Usually"?
How often does this need to be done?

Not sure what voltage that would be. DC/DC converter putting out 5V, what minimum input required?
Put a volt meter on it next time, see what voltage it has risen to by the time you usually switch on.

"Usually"?
How often does this need to be done?
Good plan.

I would say it only need to be done when performing any maintenance on cells packs. I’ve had to disconnect twice now (for the fuses).

What is your humidity? You need to have some proper insulation between the busbars and the wood (bolt and wood as well).

What is your humidity? You need to have some proper insulation between the busbars and the wood (bolt and wood as well).
I’m in Alberta - Canada, which is fairly dry all year round. In terms of specific humidity, no idea. Placement is in the back of my garage, so no a lot of movement, moisture etc.

What make are your fuses and fuse holders, are they from a reputable reseller. They could just be bum fuses. And yes I would always go for a circuit breaker over a fuse.
By the way do I see you passing current through the wooden front of your battery box via a bolt? If so this is a big No-No because the wood will compress over time and your connection will become loose and then hot and then burn. You must have none compressible connections as battleborn have found out with their batteries.

What make are your fuses and fuse holders, are they from a reputable reseller. They could just be bum fuses. And yes I would always go for a circuit breaker over a fuse.
By the way do I see you passing current through the wooden front of your battery box via a bolt? If so this is a big No-No because the wood will compress over time and your connection will become loose and then hot and then burn. You must have none compressible connections as battleborn have found out with their batteries.
Hey, they were both blue sea fuses (little fuse). I would like them to be a bad batch, but I doubt it.

The current through the wood is a feed through connector:-

Last edited:
I don't like to see "f 50 Hz" for something described as a DC breaker.
Find manufacturer's spec sheet, see if it is rated for DC, and what AIC in that case.

I don't like to see "f 50 Hz" for something described as a DC breaker.
Find manufacturer's spec sheet, see if it is rated for DC, and what AIC in that
Here is a proper DC breaker of the same style - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09P4SHSML?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
And here is an inexpensive din rail alternative - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B1WBT8YK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I am using both types.
How do you adapt for the terminal lug size? I have 4/0 currently

How do you adapt for the terminal lug size? I have 4/0 currently
If your lugs will not fit on the Dihool, you will have to cut the lugs off and crimp on the smaller size. I think it comes with them.
If you buy the clamp down CB you will also cut the lug off and use the bare end of the cable.

spent all day disassembling the system and checking everything. Nothing significant found. Just finished putting everything back together and received the fuse I ordered.

Leaving it in standby overnight so that I can rule out the AC side and significant loads. All seems to be running well right now pack 1 is charging on float.

Got access to my smart shunt and it shows nothing significant at the time of the shut down/fuse blowing. It does say that my min battery voltage was 11.28 V which is strange. Maybe that was the point when the fuse gave out

Attachments

• 4E5E4D92-941E-4C99-B7ED-CC1FA7E047AF.png
    4E5E4D92-941E-4C99-B7ED-CC1FA7E047AF.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 028108B3-3A90-4320-B8C9-7AF0827F8810.png
    028108B3-3A90-4320-B8C9-7AF0827F8810.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 7
Good news been running one pack for two days and no issues. I decided to top balance my other pack whilst waiting for fuses/breakers to arrive.

I found this under one cell/bus bar. Could anyone tell me the possible causes? And how to remedy before reassembling? (Can create a new post if needed).

I plan to file/sand the bus bar but am unsure what (if anything) to do to the cell thread. I attached the best photos I could

Attachments

• E4E96A55-92E4-42C7-A076-B137E99A9B2C.jpeg
    E4E96A55-92E4-42C7-A076-B137E99A9B2C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • FA2F9B02-87B2-4AE1-9158-5B0C95D9F67C.jpeg
    FA2F9B02-87B2-4AE1-9158-5B0C95D9F67C.jpeg
    935 KB · Views: 10
  • 3051EA77-B8B4-4F45-BBA3-A5A045C11DE3.jpeg
    3051EA77-B8B4-4F45-BBA3-A5A045C11DE3.jpeg
    623 KB · Views: 9
  • 0463F4DD-5DFB-4275-87D7-5AE0DD051EDF.jpeg
    0463F4DD-5DFB-4275-87D7-5AE0DD051EDF.jpeg