diy solar

diy solar

Battery Hookup 280ah 17kw Modules Battery build (16s)

As pretty as your bars are, and we'll laid out as well... unless you nickel plate them, they will corrode and fail very quickly... you cannot let aluminum and copper come in contact.

I will tin plate them, I think Tin should be enough? Do you? I will only Tin plate the areas of contact as the remaning area's will have heat shrink on them.

What's the electrical advantage of using these copper bars for connections instead of just using flexible welding cables?

This brings me back to my pc water cooling days. I completely forgot about that! Good point. Luckily for OP, nickel plating is not difficult to do via electroplating.

OP, have you decided on BMSes yet? I can't decide which to order for mine, between jk, jbd or Daly. I can't figure out the differences, they all seem to do their job fine. What I think I'm seeing is some BMS interact with specific inverter/chargers better.... Such as Victron.

I will use a DALY 150 [US stock is avialable] for the time being, as I am torn between the Seplos BMS and the updated PC200: Pace BMS P16S200A
Andy's Webiste: https://off-grid-garage.com/battery-management-systems-bms/

What's the electrical advantage of using these copper bars for connections instead of just using flexible welding cables?

For me it is the mechanical abilty to secure these without a doubt. No Concern, period. No chaffing etc, rub through... loose connection etc..

Updated Photo's. I am waiting for parts to come in. When that happens the next photo's should contain heat shrink'd bus bars, tinned connections with installed DALY BMS [Temporary]

Or, I wont get that far, time will tell!

1694565241940.png

1694565274376.png

1694565309291.png

1694565342446.png

I waited too long to decide on these and missed out.. From what I have seen, these appear to be brand new, high quality cells.
Yes, these are supposed to be new never used CATL cells. From what I have seen, I do believe so as well. I was in the same boat, I’m glad I pulled the trigger to buy 4 of these.

Fingers crossed that I do not run into no issues.

They are available again, I just bought 4 modules tonight.
I went other route already using raw cells. Actually comes out cheaper and I get to pick how to package those. So I guess it's okay. Btw, looks like batteryhookup increased the price of these module since they first came out. I believe they had a 4-module price of $8800 ($9200 now) and had the same 10% off offer with coupon code "davidpoz"

I went other route already using raw cells. Actually comes out cheaper and I get to pick how to package those. So I guess it's okay. Btw, looks like batteryhookup increased the price of these module since they first came out. I believe they had a 4-module price of $8800 ($9200 now) and had the same 10% off offer with coupon code "davidpoz"
That is correct I paid:

IMG_9647.jpeg

Quick Update:

Tinned the bus bars/connections. I tried both the Vinegar bath or hydrochloric acid at 10:1 ratio.
The Vinegar gave the best result for me.

Temp Installed the DALY BMS, used an electrical Terminal Block with levers to route the Sense Wires, I am in the need for connectors for larger wiring sizes for a .6mm pin header connector.... Does anyone have a recommendation?

IMG_9633.jpeg

A8A95A19-3CAF-4996-8223-C78861B1681E.jpeg

IMG_9634.jpeg

IMG_9635.jpeg

IMG_9646.jpeg

This is a test setup. Also the Daly failed to initialize the Bluetooth Dongle.
The BMS is functioning, I have already checked.

I could trouble shoot but I won’t. I will return this unit and have already ordered a JK BMS @ 150 amp.
I will install a 200a breaker between the battery and the busbar soon.

The battery is not installed into my system as of yet, just next to the inverter.

Last edited:
Yeah I noticed that as well, I was able to get the tax refunded, so price was ~8600 shipped for 4 modules. How much did you pay per cel and from where?

Yeah I noticed that as well, I was able to get the tax refunded, so price was ~8600 shipped for 4 modules. How much did you pay per cel and from where?
How did you get the tax refunded?
I bought 304Ah Envision and EVE cells from a combination of 18650batterystore and seplos (china). Plan is to eventually put them in Seplos vertical case.

How did you get the tax refunded?
I bought 304Ah Envision and EVE cells from a combination of 18650batterystore and seplos (china). Plan is to eventually put them in Seplos vertical case.
Yeah I'm with this guy, spill the beans on the tax refund XD

Business sales tax license, setup will be used for shop/business
Cool. Your tin plating looks really professional, by the way. Funny to see you're from MI as well, doing the same DIY battery bank project as I am!

Have you decided on an inverter yet? If so, what drove you to it?

Cool. Your tin plating looks really professional, by the way. Funny to see you're from MI as well, doing the same DIY battery bank project as I am!

Have you decided on an inverter yet? If so, what drove you to it?
The photos above are not mine, my batteries will be here thursday I think. I am pretty sure I am going with 2 schneider XW Pro inverters. From reading they seem super well built and can handle large startup loads. A bit pricey but I want reliable power once the system is all setup and going. Plus can add a few more down the road if need be.

The photos above are not mine, my batteries will be here thursday I think. I am pretty sure I am going with 2 schneider XW Pro inverters. From reading they seem super well built and can handle large startup loads. A bit pricey but I want reliable power once the system is all setup and going. Plus can add a few more down the road if need be.
Just curious, at this price point, why not just go with Sol-Ark 15k instead?

Just curious, at this price point, why not just go with Sol-Ark 15k instead?
I considered the EG4 18k but there was people talking about issues with them and bad customer service from them. I do not know a lot about the Sol-ark 15k but know it is similar to the EG4. After reading about the Schneider it sounds like its made like a tank and great customer service. I have not committed to anything yet, that is the one I am considering the most as of now though. It will be a few months before I really start setting up the solar stuff as I just bought the new house, have my new shop to build out (have epoxy floors being done next week in the pole barn, then start on the shop), moving all our crap from my current home to the new and then doing some work on the old house to get it ready to sell.

I considered the EG4 18k but there was people talking about issues with them and bad customer service from them. I do not know a lot about the Sol-ark 15k but know it is similar to the EG4. After reading about the Schneider it sounds like its made like a tank and great customer service. I have not committed to anything yet, that is the one I am considering the most as of now though. It will be a few months before I really start setting up the solar stuff as I just bought the new house, have my new shop to build out (have epoxy floors being done next week in the pole barn, then start on the shop), moving all our crap from my current home to the new and then doing some work on the old house to get it ready to sell.
Got it. I think in that case, you might want to look into 15k. Everything I have read suggests that this inverter is way more matured than EG4 and they have generally better support. There are a ton more of 15k's deployed in the field compared to newer 18kpv.

Back