diy solar

diy solar

California NEM Single Line Drawing

Can someone review and provide some input on this SLD which I have submitted already? Is the System Size numbers I have given at the top correct?
Another important question is on Array size. I have put all 14 REC405AA panels in one array and connected them to the inverter. When I did the calculation to match the max/min voltage of the production to the inverter range, I am arriving at an incorrect panel count. ie., the calculation says min should be 11 and max should be 9. This doesn't make sense. Please see attached screenshot of calculations

Appreciate your input and response.

Attachments

• 905Eton_NEM2.0_SLD.png
    905Eton_NEM2.0_SLD.png
    211.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 905Eton_SolarArraySize.jpg
    905Eton_SolarArraySize.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 17
Isn't that the wrong selected SE equipment? You have 6000 in the calculator and 7600 on your SLD. Your calculator screenshot says 6-9

Also SE might need a special calculator. It uses optimizers, which means the output voltage and current will be manipulated.

Isn't that the wrong selected SE equipment? You have 6000 in the calculator and 7600 on your SLD. Your calculator screenshot says 6-9

Also SE might need a special calculator. It uses optimizers, which means the output voltage and current will be manipulated.
Oh! That is a typo. I originally started with 6000 but moved to 7600

Anyhow both SolarEdge inverter models show 480 as Max Vots and 380 as Nominal Volts. Hence the range of 380 vdc to 480 vdc

Oh! That is a typo. I originally started with 6000 but moved to 7600

Anyhow both SolarEdge inverter models show 480 as Max Vots and 380 as Nominal Volts. Hence the range of 380 vdc to 480 vdc
Question still stands on whether this is the right calculator for this snowflake kind of string inverter (which all SE ones are). What does the installation guide say? EG maybe the optimizers drop the voltage or operate in parallel, I've never looked b/c I'm not that interested in SE.

SE allows a larger number of panels in series than you could have without optimizers. I think up to 24 "24V" panels if I remember correctly? Output voltage 1V per panel in shutdown, which lets you see how many are connected.

I have a question regarding the service address that needs to be written on SLD. On the contract and pge bill I have "ST" for street, and on the single line diagram i wrote the whole word Street instead of "ST". Lets say it is 222 TRUMAN ST, SAN FRANCISCO, CA, but I have written 222 Truman Street, San Francisco, CA. Do you think that this will be a problem? I read somewhere that the address should be the same as on the pge bill. Do you think that this will be a problem?

Do you think that this will be a problem?
Yes, I think you should send in an amendment. But that should not be a problem if your application was received before the 14th. I have an application with SCE and my address has an HM in in to distinguish it from a tenant meter with the same address. In our case the building department did not have an address with HM in it so we asked the building department to add "House Meter" to the buiilding permit and provided an explanation as to why there was an inconsistency.

Yes, I think you should send in an amendment. But that should not be a problem if your application was received before the 14th. I have an application with SCE and my address has an HM in in to distinguish it from a tenant meter with the same address. In our case the building department did not have an address with HM in it so we asked the building department to add "House Meter" to the buiilding permit and provided an explanation as to why there was an inconsistency.
Thanks for sharing your story. Your case is a bit different. There are two addresses, and there is a meaning between the differences - two different meters. In my case I have instead of the abbreviation ST. - the full word Street. It is yet a different question that I have the ST. version of the address repeated on the same sheet, as well. I am not sure that "amendment" to the single line diagram can be submitted after April 14th, since it might require a new submission. I will wait to see what PGE has to say and if and when they notice it. I was curious to see whether someone has run into the same question.

I will wait to see what PGE has to say and if and when they notice it. I was curious to see whether someone has run into the same question.
I think that is a good strategy. I do understand our situations are not exactly the same but, on a higher level, they both fit the concept of nit picks where the address does not or would not be an exact match. That was all I was trying to point out to you and any other readers who might have a similar situation.

fix that a few weeks back and
I got a correction for a one digit meter typo in SLD, they asked me to explain/fix that a few weeks back and I just uploaded them a new one.

Haven’t heard back yet.
That is a good point. Per PGE wrong meter number is a major deficiency. If you have a major deficiency in the application you will need to resubmit and if you do the resubmission of the application after April 14th, you do not get NEM2. It is possible that they treat a wrong meter number as major deficiency only if it is on the contract that we sign, not on the Single Line Diagram. Here is the link that I have where I got this: https://pgesupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/14794766368781-NEM2-sunset-Contractor-FAQs

Thanks for the pointer, I didn’t actually check that doc when I first submitted but gave it a look over a few weeks ago.

My application had the right metadata in it — it auto populated with the existing installation that I was expanding, IE the webapp was able to find the details from my previous interconnection agreement and PTO.

I’m not super worried about anything other than doing some due diligence to see if equivalent $10k spent on ESS would have better ROI than solar panels. Normally it wouldn’t be for the vast majority of people but I have awful solar access so my solar panel ROI is terrible and it’s borderline dumb to add more (fine with DIY but like 10-15 year ROI with turn key)

Just got an email from PG&E stating that my application is incomplete (gulp), and that I need to submit a signed off building permit by April 2026. Yay!
Thank you all for very valuable discussions!

Just got an email from PG&E stating that my application is incomplete (gulp), and that I need to submit a signed off building permit by April 2026. Yay!
Thank you all for very valuable discussions!
Do they have any other requests besides the signed off building pemit. I wonder why some people get a preengineering review and results for it, while others just get informed that they need to build the solar system and submit the final signed off building permit without going through a pre-engineering review.

Do they have any other requests besides the signed off building pemit. I wonder why some people get a preengineering review and results for it, while others just get informed that they need to build the solar system and submit the final signed off building permit without going through a pre-engineering review.
In the NEM2 application you were able to pick if you want the technical review or not. Maybe that makes a difference.

Back