diy solar

diy solar

California proposes “blatant seizure of property” in solar ruling

You are either in Wake, Mecklenburg or Buncombe.
Or adjacent counties.

So that's the Charlotte area, right?

Well, the GOP in Indiana is very famous for selling out the public to the electric company here. I suspect a lot of campaign funding comes from Indiana Michigan power. So the non-Amish get screwed with higher and higher power rates.

Still, they bend over backwards for the Amish here. The Amish do what they want and dare the government to do anything about it. For instance; with the cost of land rising and the Amish population growing (they typically have 4+ kids) they were subdividing their property for their kids. However they soon realized that if they continued doing that everyone would have 2-5 acres, which is dumb if you are trying to grow hay, corn, etc. So they started building multifamily buildings next to the homesteads. These are usually two story, 3000+ sq ft per floor buildings that housed multiple kids families. At first Indiana tried to stop that. The Amish kept building, with or without permits. Garage/Barns were built and then turned into multifamily residences inside. Ever see a 2nd floor porch on a barn? We have them here! All the county required was a garage door in a big "barn" to make it a barn. So 6000 sq ft buildings popped up with one garage door in it that never opened and was drywalled over on the inside.
The local government finally gave up. Now there is no restriction on putting up basically an apartment buildings on my property and having other families live here if they have some blood relation to me or my wife. Of course no one checks if they are related. So there are multiple families living on one plot of land with no relationship in different multifamily buildings. One place down the road has 6 multifamily buildings on his one plot of land. I have no idea how many people live there. Likely 30+.

They also have quite a bit if off grid solar.

Adjacent to Meck. Wish I was in Meck and wouldn’t be strangled by the buy all/sell all.
Guess I should have included Union and maybe Cabaruss since it’s just an extension of Mecklenburg now.
So that's the Charlotte area, right?

Well, the GOP in Indiana is very famous for selling out the public to the electric company here. I suspect a lot of campaign funding comes from Indiana Michigan power. So the non-Amish get screwed with higher and higher power rates.

Still, they bend over backwards for the Amish here. The Amish do what they want and dare the government to do anything about it. For instance; with the cost of land rising and the Amish population growing (they typically have 4+ kids) they were subdividing their property for their kids. However they soon realized that if they continued doing that everyone would have 2-5 acres, which is dumb if you are trying to grow hay, corn, etc. So they started building multifamily buildings next to the homesteads. These are usually two story, 3000+ sq ft per floor buildings that housed multiple kids families. At first Indiana tried to stop that. The Amish kept building, with or without permits. Garage/Barns were built and then turned into multifamily residences inside. Ever see a 2nd floor porch on a barn? We have them here! All the county required was a garage door in a big "barn" to make it a barn. So 6000 sq ft buildings popped up with one garage door in it that never opened and was drywalled over on the inside.
The local government finally gave up. Now there is no restriction on putting up basically an apartment buildings on my property and having other families live here if they have some blood relation to me or my wife. Of course no one checks if they are related. So there are multiple families living on one plot of land with no relationship in different multifamily buildings. One place down the road has 6 multifamily buildings on his one plot of land. I have no idea how many people live there. Likely 30+.

They also have quite a bit if off grid solar.

No GOP in charge in Mecklenburg, Wake now.
All democrats.

Last edited:
Ya in Indiana here. Going solar to avoid rate increases, maybe eventually disconnect to avoid the grid connection fee (14 dollars a month for now). They are raising gas prices too so will convert more to electric down the line...

Because the representative is Darrell Issa, a Republican, as well as the local state senator and legislature rep. And the county reps. SD is not as blue as you think. Plus, if they don't side, who would they have to fight?
Issa is a good guy, unfortunately the bulk of San Diego county (even more the city) flipped blue over a decade ago, and a few republican enclaves in east county cant overpower that. I remember the 80s when Copley Publishing virtually hand picked candidates from the red side and put them in office. Democrats leveraged the exploding hispanic population from the south to their advantage and much like the rest of the state the GOP will never be a serious threat to them again.
Ultra liberal Todd Gloria is running the city into the ground with zero spending on infrastructure while putting up miles and miles of bike lanes nobody wants and eliminating on street parking by the hundreds. Intentional chaos and misery by intent.

They don't have/get to pick a side.
They are US forces. They only follow the chain of command.
They get to pick their pronouns though. Our military surely has a serious leadership problem, dont be surprised to see mutiny in the ranks if theyre asked to do some meany head things to fellow wokies. With no consequences.

Ya in Indiana here. Going solar to avoid rate increases, maybe eventually disconnect to avoid the grid connection fee (14 dollars a month for now). They are raising gas prices too so will convert more to electric down the line...

I'll be retired in 5 years or so and I don't want to have to worry about ridiculous electric rates. They have a gigantic wind farm to the east of us in Ohio which has been quite successful and they are putting up solar farms but none of that translates into lower energy rates. If anything I think they use the investments to justify the rate increases. So much for renewables lowering our power rates. I'm not worried about the connection fee yet. I'm more concerned about $.30 and up per KWHR. I think we will be there or beyond in less than 10 years.

They get to pick their pronouns though. Our military surely has a serious leadership problem, dont be surprised to see mutiny in the ranks if theyre asked to do some meany head things to fellow wokies. With no consequences.
I don't think that anything can surprise me, anymore.
The whole country has gone nuts.
It's still the best place in the world.
It just used to be a lot better.

Guess I should have included Union and maybe Cabaruss since it’s just an extension of Mecklenburg now.

No GOP in charge in Mecklenburg, Wake now.
All democrats.
Anyway. Only GOP here for decades. Only buy all/ sell all allowed, off-grid illegal. Getting more mad as I type.

Anyway. Only GOP here for decades. Only buy all/ sell all allowed, off-grid illegal. Getting more mad as I

Maybe one day you will get some Conservative Representation that won’t collude with big business and screw their constituents.

Last edited:
More like RINOs then.
Conservatives don’t tend to collude with big business and screw over their constituents.
Huh. I thought the red party was in favor of bankruptcy for Ford, GM and Chyrsler/Stellantis rather than the bail out.

"The Presidential Task Force on the Auto Industry was an ad hoc group of United States cabinet-level and other officials that was formed by President Barack Obama to deal with the financial bailout of automakers Chrysler and General Motors."

Are you saying Obama was a Republican too?

The true Republican party was not in favor of bankruptcy of any business. They jus didn’t believe it was the governments job to bail out a business. Truth be told the automotive industry could have gone into bankruptcy, unloaded a lot of debt and come out the other side ready to do business. Yes, it might have been hard on the economy but we would have survived and been the stronger for it. Less in debt too.

Huh. I thought the red party was in favor of bankruptcy for Ford, GM and Chyrsler/Stellantis rather than the bail out.

"The Presidential Task Force on the Auto Industry was an ad hoc group of United States cabinet-level and other officials that was formed by President Barack Obama to deal with the financial bailout of automakers Chrysler and General Motors."

Are you saying Obama was a Republican too?
I said conservative.
GOP is not conservative. Most are self serving RINOs worried about collecting money to get re-elected.
They are opposite sides of same coin with Democrats being other side.
UNIPARTY.

If it was up to me they would all be out.
No big salary, No benefits, Term limits
It wasn’t meant to be a frigid career. It was a civic duty.
While we are at it push the government back to its original mandates.
Less government the better.

Last edited:
I had some govt intervention this week

Dead cow elk in the drainage ditch on our road in front of neighbors property.
Rots for 3 days. No one disposes.
Call game and fish: “don’t care, it’s not on road”
Call county: “don’t care”
Call sheriff: “don’t care, but you also can’t move it without a permit, we don’t have a permit for you”

So noone will move it, and a resident “cant” without a permit. Needless to say the windows are open and I don’t smell dead elk

Every time I hear about some new rule/law/compliance/proposal thing in California, I become more and more grateful that I don't live there.
I must say, I grew up there and was amazed when my friends grandma nearly got her house taken. She lived in El paso, Texas. Property tax during the bubble in 08. I was like, "but it can't increase more than 2% per year". She was like, "what are you saying?". Later I realized, Prop 13 is a California thing. Probably every state should probably have unless you are one to believe the government should have more money. It's insane that in California there is a law protecting homeowners from being taxed out of their homes yet in Texas it was free rain, yearly appraisals.... (At least in the '00s it was). Anyway, pre judge a state at your own rate. Prop 13 was and is an enormous win for the homeowner and so far as I know only a California thing. It's not all bad... Maybe just a lot of dumb ?

I must say, I grew up there and was amazed when my friends grandma nearly got her house taken. She lived in El paso, Texas. Property tax during the bubble in 08. I was like, "but it can't increase more than 2% per year". She was like, "what are you saying?". Later I realized, Prop 13 is a California thing. Probably every state should probably have unless you are one to believe the government should have more money. It's insane that in California there is a law protecting homeowners from being taxed out of their homes yet in Texas it was free rain, yearly appraisals.... (At least in the '00s it was). Anyway, pre judge a state at your own rate. Prop 13 was and is an enormous win for the homeowner and so far as I know only a California thing. It's not all bad... Maybe just a lot of dumb ?
I feel like this is a "even a broken clock is right twice a day" thing. When you have government overreach into the citizens daily lives to the extent that califonia does, yea.. occasionally one thing is bound to not be terrible. But, on the overall picture.. the bad more than makes up for the good from what I've seen.

I feel like this is a "even a broken clock is right twice a day" thing. When you have government overreach into the citizens daily lives to the extent that califonia does, yea.. occasionally one thing is bound to not be terrible. But, on the overall picture.. the bad more than makes up for the good from what I've seen.
Do yourself a favor, if you are a homeowner, and just Google "prop 13". It's a thing that any state can do and keeps the government from taking your home. Then let your reps know to repeat that where you live... Unless , like I said, you feel the government deserves more money. Then leave it alone.

"The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) is soon to vote on a proposed decision that is expected to be harmful to the value of rooftop solar for renters in multifamily housing, farms, and schools.

The decision would disallow residents of multi-meter properties to consume their own rooftop solar production, even if they own the solar array. The policy forces customers to first sell their solar production to the utility, and then buy it back at higher rates.

“The CPUC is proposing a blatant seizure of property,” said the Solar Rights Alliance.

California’s existing Virtual Net Metering and Net Energy Metering Aggregation programs allow properties with multiple meters to install a single solar array for the entire property, sharing one system’s electricity and associated net metering credits with all customers and meters on the property. The proposed decision states that these customers should be limited in how much of their own solar production they can use, even if it is stored in their own battery.

“It would force customers in multi-meter properties—such as renters, small farmers, schools, and colleges—to sell all of their generation to the utility at low rates and buy it back at full retail rates,” said the California Solar and Storage Association (CALSSA)."

Full article:

I'm pretty sure this will spread to single family homes next.

I have a hunch that our governments will create regulations against off-grid systems in due time. It would be very easy to use a satellite to tell law enforcement where the non regulated solar arrays are mounted.
Nothing surprises me anymore... I think Spain introduced a solar incentive a few years back.. loads of ordinary people invested .. then once it was up and running they dropped the unit rate... or something like that... I can’t quite remember... anyhow the ordinary Spanish citizen trying to make a bucks gig completely shafted... “ the government cares and wants to help”....?

Back