diy solar

diy solar

California proposes “blatant seizure of property” in solar ruling

Mark my words, offgrid solar will be illegal one day. I'm currently thinking of ways to hide off-grid arrays from view of satellites. I am thinking vertical orientation bifacials might be best in the future.

And yes, NEM 3.0 is coming to every state.

It does seem like there is an effort to make people more dependent on "the system", so this would not surprise me in the slightest. And many if not most of us are already registering our systems via the tax write-offs.

One of my concerns with being off grid and currently relying on solar is just how vulnerable the panels are. Easily seen from the air, and easily disabled from the air.

This is the main reason I really want to learn how to make a wood/charcoal gasifier for a backup energy source.

Making Syngas to then use in a generator is a pain. You can't store it (can't really compress it), it's dirty with lots of carbon build up in the generator, finicky to make a reliable stream of it, etc. Biodiesel is a lot easier.

My thought was to build a nice water proof large container to store charcoal that I make on property from all the deadwood. My understanding is charcoal will last indefinitely so long as it doesn't get wet.

Then feed the gasifier with charcoal to charge my batteries.

Thinking of making a large burn bin like these guys are doing:

I've looked briefly into making biodiesel but I don't think we can produce it ourselves very easily. We'd either be dependent on others for their used oil and the process to filter it and convert it seems fairly extensive. Soybeans would be hard for us to grow and I'm not sure the algae method has matured enough.

You could make your own sunflower oil. The added bonus is that sunflowers attract a lot of insects like bees and others. In addition, it's a great plant to improve soil conditions since they sequester nitrogen. You can cold press the oil, so it's pretty healthy as well.

You could make your own sunflower oil. The added bonus is that sunflowers attract a lot of insects like bees and others. In addition, it's a great plant to improve soil conditions since they sequester nitrogen. You can cold press the oil, so it's pretty healthy as well.

I'll take look at that option, thanks!

You should check out 'oil press' or 'oil mill' in your favorite search engine. You have small kitchen appliances for this if you want to run tests, and bigger ones taking hundreds of kg of seeds and everything in between are readily available as well.

“‘’
The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) unanimously voted to approve Net Energy Metering 3.0 (NEM), slashing payments for excess solar production sent to the grid by 75%.

CPUC voted to cut the average export rate in California from $0.30 per kWh to $0.08 per kWh, making the cuts effective on April 15, 2023. Customers who have new systems installed and approved for grid interconnection before the effective date in April will be grandfathered in to NEM 2.0 rates.

During the vote, the Commission said the balancing of costs and benefits continue to be “quite generous” under the decision.”’’

Btw if you get caught using oils in you diesel on the road then you can be fined in the USA because you are not paying the road tax at the pumps. Pound of flesh. They use to setup check points at places like home depot to catch ppl running reclaimed cooking oil in their diesel trucks. The govt were also looking for ppl running farm oil diesel in their road vehicles.

It is simple CCP = CPUC. ??

no representation …. Appointed by communist china loving Gov Newsom.

They out right tell you whom they will regulate upfront.

IMG_4567.jpeg

go listen to the audio vote for Aug 17, 2020. You will see their justifications for taking and voting. ?? Rolling black outs in California and then they vote to make ev requirements especially when grid can not support present past output requirements. They are going to snatch any energy production . It gets comical when person starts interrupting “ hello hello hello” ‘’What’s going on here hello hello hello”

these are the idiots in charge. Sadly govt idiots around the country look at these idiots as genius and trend setters. What happens when you put lawyers in charge of energy.

This is not new. This level of crazy has been going on for decades.

That rate in NEM 3.0 rate in California is nearly identical to what I pay in AZ. In my first solar bill I sold energy back to the grid at $.076 per killowatt. Saved $27.50 on the bill.

I also noticed that only 40% of my bill is electric fees, the rest are taxes and fees.

Reactions: D71
Could white gravel camouflage the panels for satellites but still leave them functional? Maybe a reflective or nonreflective coating would work as well. What about the one-way mirror? If you lost 25% of solar power, it might be worth it.

Could white gravel camouflage the panels for satellites but still leave them functional? Maybe a reflective or nonreflective coating would work as well. What about the one-way mirror? If you lost 25% of solar power, it might be worth it.

I doubt there is much of a way to hide solar from satellites. Low earth, angles, they'll know. It's not like Enemy of the State (great and prescient movie) where they have to look straight down. Not anymore anyway. And they have other sensors that will see the electrical activity, heat, etc.

Reactions: D71
This is why refusing smart meters is key!
An analog meter spins backwards when you produce so they can not apply any kind of TOU rates.
It seems there IS a way out in CA (And most other states)

Back