diy solar

diy solar

Can a breaker be used as a daily switch?

ecoroom

I plan to use 2 ecoflow delta pros with some extra batteries via an Interlock to power my whole house. In the summers, I should have no problem powering the house with the amount of sunlight I get. In the winters, with the sun lower and the cloudier days, I'm very unlikely to be able to charge my batteries back up daily. So during the winter, I am considering using the batteries as long as I can, then flip over to grid power during the night, and then flip it back the next day.

I'm reading some conflicting things about if that's a good idea. Some say using a breaker as a switch (flip it twice a day ~4 months/year) is a bad and dangerous idea as it will wear the breaker down. Other "sources" say breakers can last about 4000-6000 cycles, which should be about 30 years.

Anyone have any idea if breakers should be used this way?

Breakers are for overload protection they are not switches unless the breaker is rated for switch duty which some are I would consider adding a switch
Switch as in transfer switch? (sorry, i'm quite a novice at this stuff). I've been trying to find an transfer switch that allows me to choose between grid and generator power, but all transfer switches seem to "require" that I choose circuits to power. Which actually wouldn't be a limiting problem because my house has 8 circuits and the Generac homelink manual also allows for 8.

If you know of any kind of transfer switch that basically lets me flip between grid and generator (and no other circuits), I appreciate the lead!

As long as the breaker is "switch rated" it's fine.
Most new ones are, now. But, you should verify that the one you have is.
I'll double check. This house is pretty old (50+ years), and I'm going to assume the breakers are as old as the house!

It sounds like you need a DPDT to flip between the grid and the inverter, not a breaker. I just bought a 100A ATS put it on a DIN rail and wired it primary from the inverter, secondary from the grid. As soon as the inverter turns off, the grid just takes over. Not sure where a breaker works in to manually switch something

Most transfer switches are just transfer switches.

Amazon has a bunch of them ranging from manual to automatic.

One of these 2-4 poles.

Trivial wiring, and some come with the jumper wire for the coil. Rotary switch on the inside, manual or auto-magic switch. I had a 'Jotta' 63A fail, I have them all over running the main feed to my panel, and on several branch circuits as a simple on/off relay controlled by a small computer instead of looping the power over to the coil directly. They are so cheap I have several spares just sitting there in boxes. The one that failed failed very quickly, it still worked manually, just wouldn't auto-switch. Took about 10 minutes to swap it out, not worth $20 to try and send it back or anything after a couple months.

I have a few of them for fridge and freezer in case some thing go's wrong with inverter and shuts down, will auto flip back to grid to power circuits. There not meant for whole home application.

Thanks! Do you know if there are any brands/models that are very reputable? I rent, I ran the entire project by my landlord (the owner) and they're okay with it as long as I don't cause damage (the cost of electricity is high enough that even installation of something I won't take with me will break even pretty quick). Whenever I move out, I don't want to leave them with a switch that may or may not fail. Worse case, I want to just be able to leave it on grid mode and it doesn't cause any hiccups to whoever the future tenant is.

I seen them a ways back seemed interesting but went another rout.
What did you go with?

Thanks! Do you know if there are any brands/models that are very reputable? I rent, I ran the entire project by my landlord (the owner) and they're okay with it as long as I don't cause damage (the cost of electricity is high enough that even installation of something I won't take with me will break even pretty quick). Whenever I move out, I don't want to leave them with a switch that may or may not fail. Worse case, I want to just be able to leave it on grid mode and it doesn't cause any hiccups to whoever the future tenant is.

What did you go with?
bigger inverter/ more batteries and a isolated panel to house every thing off grid where it is all in one system. Grid for me is now a back up. No transfer switch needed at this point.

oh wow that is very cool, didn't even know this kind of thing existed! I'm going to have to learn more about them. I'm assuming these will prevent backfeeding back onto the grid? Do you know if they make a weatherproof version? My breaker is outdoors
The fine print in one of the Amazon images for this product is a little worrisome….
At least they warn you, but i’m not even sure what it means.
IMG_6429.jpeg

Back