Screenshot_20210415-113133.png
    307.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210415-113314.png
    Screenshot_20210415-113314.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210415-113326.png
    Screenshot_20210415-113326.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 4
You'll need a shunt based monitor - Measure the amps used to calculate the 50% point. It's not possible to know when you hit 50% by trying to measure the voltage. Under load, your battery voltage will most likely be lower than the 50% point the instant you turn on your inverter

Don

It will be OK, but there are better choices. Since the manufacturer is listing "Cranking Amps" that means this is a hybrid battery. That is, a little like a starting battery, and a little like an off-grid deep cycle battery. They also call them marine batteries.

So, you are better off getting a fully deep cycle battery instead of one of these compromises.

And for lead acid batteries, a shunt or monitor aren't as useful as for lithium because the discharge curve is fairly linear. Just do not discharge below 12v (aka 50%) and you'll be fine. Dipping into the 11's in an emergency/pinch is not awful if done sparingly.

You can, but i would personally recommend another ones which will be better for this. what other devices do you have?

You can, but i would personally recommend another ones which will be better for this. what other devices do you have?
I haven't been able to get my solar panels hooked up so I need electricity until then. I have 1500w inverter

I haven't been able to get my solar panels hooked up so I need electricity until then. I have 1500w inverter
How are you going to keep the batteries charged until you get the solar connected? I neighbor I helped that did exactly the same thing. He connected his large L-16 batteries, and was running them dry before I came to help him wire the panels.

When I first got the controller connected the batteries had been already been depleted down to 11.7V. By shutting everything inside the cabin off, and letting the batteries rest for a few minutes, the voltage rebounded to 11.9V, and that was high enough to boot the controller without getting a "low voltage" error message.

How are you going to keep the batteries charged until you get the solar connected? I neighbor I helped that did exactly the same thing. He connected his large L-16 batteries, and was running them dry before I came to help him wire the panels.

When I first got the controller connected the batteries had been already been depleted down to 11.7V. By shutting everything inside the cabin off, and letting the batteries rest for a few minutes, the voltage rebounded to 11.9V, and that was high enough to boot the controller without getting a "low voltage" error message.
I have a charge controller and battery charger

I was just going to use the batteries to power the inverter for now
Ummm, this really isn't answering the question adequately? Is this going to be in the garage where you just walk back into the house, or is this going to be off-grid?

If you have a battery charger that you think you will use to charge the batteries, what will the charger be plugged into?

If you have a charge controller, but no panels, what will supply the power to the controller to charge the batteries?

What I envision happening is you totally drain the batteries to zero, allow them to sit there uncharged till they suflanate, then start destroying them.

The hybrid batteries you are looking out will NOT tolerate staying uncharged for any length of time.

I would recommend you connect nothing together until you have a plan for charging the batteries that you tested and works.

i would add starter batteries do not like to discharge due to there thinner plates for the CCA.. so 50% discharge is way to deep... 70-80% really... any type of starting batteries is a no for storage....

The batteries will be inside of a vehicle
If that is the case, you could wire a circuit to connect the inverter's batteries to the vehicle's electrical system. Then the vehicle's alternator can charge the batteries when the engine is running. That's assuming the inverter system is 12V?

Do you understand how to use a voltmeter, and read a wiring diagram? The inverter batteries will need isolation from the vehicle battery so the starter battery does not get drained as the inverter batteries drain. You could connect the inverter batteries to a switched circuit such that the circuit is open (not connected) when the ignition is off. I would also include an isolation switch so you can selectively shut off the inverter batteries from the rest of the vehicle electrical system at will.

Then, you just run the vehicle when you need to charge the inverter batteries. Will this be a commuter van that gets driven daily, or a vacation vehicle for car-camping?

I converted a bus into home, it will be driven often due to traveling, do not want to connect anything to my alternator. I just want power for my electronics until I'm able to connect my solar panels.

Back