diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

They know it, they're just trolling you because you're easy and don't care how stupid they look.
I know he's trolling.. He slipped up in a post a while back.. Apparently he's a child and lives with his mother. He then back peddled, but it was too late.
This forum shouldn't allow these kinds of children in here because of the problems they cause. Its one thing to have heated discussions, but intentional trolls should get banned.

So you do not agree with (McKitrick & Christy, 2018 report?
ess2204-fig-0004-m.png

Right now I heat with a pellet stove. Much better and less costly than the 20Kw central heat.

I got a tax credit in 2009 for installing the stove because it's a "carbon neutral" appliance yet one can't help but wonder why government policy thinks wood smoke is better for human health vs natural gas exhaust. This is as foolish as growing corn and turning it into ethanol fuel. This is nothing more than a subsidy-chasing industry.

Either way, I think I am going to finally tear out the now unused central electric heater and install a 4 zone mini-split and just do all electric.

I know he's trolling.. He slipped up in a post a while back.. Apparently he's a child and lives with his mother. He then back peddled, but it was too late.
This forum shouldn't allow these kinds of children in here because of the problems they cause. Its one thing to have heated discussions, but intentional trolls should get banned.

Oh hush.

Requires the congress and Biden to be meaningful.
The next few years are going to be "interesting", AI is about to replace about 300 million Jobs in the US and Europe combined. About 1/3 of the jobs are at risk.

Thats due to Obama's restrictions prior to Trumps administration.
Quit it with the party political nonsense. The point I was trying to make is that solar and wind are now the cheapest sources of electricity and that even some one pro coal couldn't save the coal jobs.

"According to data from the United States Geological Survey, the United States has a total of 750,000 tons of lithium reserves".
"Despite the United States having over 3 percent of the world's reserves, it has only one producing lithium mine with production at a modest 5,000 tons a year — less than 2 percent of the world's annual supply."
Chinese companies are not only mining in China, nor are American companies.

The batteries are going to be build and there will be plenty of buyers when the price is right, regardless where they are made. I'd prefer them to be made in a country where we can freely elect the governments by people who are at least somewhat scientifically literate.

Most likely your kids already eat bugs.. you probably do too. Don't feel bad, when I was a kid I ate dirt (or so my sister is fond of telling me).

Bugs get into everything and get ground up with the rest of it. Pretty much all processed foods have some bug parts, frequently not even the good stuff. Fortunately, in the U.S. the FDA limits how much can be in what:

No we do not and will NOT eat the bugs. We eat home made food from natural and organic ingredients, a lot of which we grow ourselves.
But just avoiding processed junk food will get you far enough for those who can not.

While you are at it, things to avoid (yes its possible)

But you still trust the FDA after the last 3 years? The joke is on u!

No we do not and will NOT eat the bugs. We eat home made food from natural and organic ingredients, a lot of which we grow ourselves.
But just avoiding processed junk food will get you far enough for those who can not.

You are going to hate me for this, but the odds are very much in favour of you already having eaten bugs, even if it was only in your sleep.

Do agree with you on your home grown products though. And while I know that eating bugs is perfectly fine, but I can't bring myself to put one in my mouth, even if it is cooked and unrecognizable.

Bugs ARE natural and organic...

And believe me, while your level of acceptable contamination is probably relegated to what your eyes can see, you do eat them, you just don't know it.

So you do not agree with (McKitrick & Christy, 2018 report?
ess2204-fig-0004-m.png

Nope.

Christy is a controversial figure. The satellite calculations they originally did were wrong in that they didn't account for satellite drift, see #1,016 for more (this video talks about the plot twists with satellite data). Christy recanted the math when proven wrong, but Christy is very religious and has stated that God will prevent the temperature from exceeding 1.5°C. More recently, he's again reversed himself. They've been somewhat discredited, sad really:

...But it gets worse. In 2014, McNider and Christy were well aware of the orbital decay correction (1998), and they were even aware of the diurnal drift correction that was needed because of a sign error introduced while trying to fix the orbital decay issue (discovered in 2005)....

You might also be interested in http://repository.library.noaa.gov/view/noaa/41851/noaa_41851_DS1.pdf, which is thought to have a 0.12°K accuracy and uses satellites with stable orbits. Amazingly, it correlates well with both the observed data and the models.

Theory Vs. Practice
The problem with Christy's math is the difference between theory and practice. When the data shows the math is wrong, you don't typically go around saying all the other models that happen to match the data are wrong, you dig in to find out why your math didn't work. Data from unstable satellites is also obviously going to be harder to work with, so you need to take great care with the math.

Organizations across the world (e.g., NASA) put instruments on ships and in planes to collect data, and yes, scientists also float meteorological balloons (seriously, not spy balloons but with actual meteorological packages) to spot the check the satellite data. When the numbers don't coincide (as per Christy's report), the numbers do get a lot of attention.

So, what's the 2018 report?
Christy's 2018 report claims the IPCC models are consistently too high. This article is a brief explanation for how the assumptions Chisty made were unfounded and erroneous, also completely disregarding other data that proves his hypothesis is incorrect.

Last edited:
The next few years are going to be "interesting", AI is about to replace about 300 million Jobs in the US and Europe combined. About 1/3 of the jobs are at risk.
The cost to humanity could be way higher the that.
You are going to hate me for this, but the odds are very much in favour of you already having eaten bugs, even if it was only in your sleep.

Do agree with you on your home grown products though. And while I know that eating bugs is perfectly fine, but I can't bring myself to put one in my mouth, even if it is cooked and unrecognizable.

Quit it with the party political nonsense. The point I was trying to make is that solar and wind are now the cheapest sources of electricity and that even some one pro coal couldn't save the coal jobs.
And the point is that it was manipulated that way.
I said in the USA.
The batteries are going to be build and there will be plenty of buyers when the price is right, regardless where they are made. I'd prefer them to be made in a country where we can freely elect the governments by people who are at least somewhat scientifically literate.
China had that one figured out.

Nope.

Christy is a controversial figure. The satellite calculations they originally did were wrong in that they didn't account for satellite drift, see #1,016 for more (this video talks about the plot twists with satellite data). Christy recanted the math when proven wrong, but Christy is very religious and has stated that God will prevent the temperature from exceeding 1.5°C. More recently, he's again reversed himself. They've been somewhat discredited, sad really:

You might also be interested in http://repository.library.noaa.gov/view/noaa/41851/noaa_41851_DS1.pdf, which is thought to have a 0.12°K accuracy and uses satellites with stable orbits. Amazingly, it correlates well with both the observed data and the models.

Theory Vs. Practice
The problem with Christy's math is the difference between theory and practice. When the data shows the math is wrong, you don't typically go around saying all the other models that happen to match the data are wrong, you dig in to find out why your math didn't work. Data from unstable satellites is also obviously going to be harder to work with, so you need to take great care with the math.

Organizations across the world (e.g., NASA) put instruments on ships and in planes to collect data, and yes, scientists also float meteorological balloons (seriously, not spy balloons but with actual meteorological packages) to spot the check the satellite data. When the numbers don't coincide (as per Christy's report), the numbers do get a lot of attention.

So, what's the 2018 report?
Christy's 2018 report claims the IPCC models are consistently too high. This article is a brief explanation for how the assumptions Chisty made were unfounded and erroneous, also completely disregarding other data that proves his hypothesis is incorrect.
Thank you I will look that over.

Thank you I will look that over.
It's one of the things I have to thank @aenyc for, I was unaware that the satellite temperature data had such a controversial history and the video about it was riveting. I particularly enjoyed how the data had been misused in Senate hearings to disprove climate change.

Nope.

There's always religion involved..

The cost to humanity could be way higher the that.
Conservatives always resist, and are afraid of, advancements. Of course, that is the very definition of being conservative.

More likely, AI might be able to solve our fusion problems, make jets and rockets more efficient, create better medications, and find patterns, and therefor answers, to things beyond current human capacity.

And the point is that it was manipulated that way.
Good..

I said in the USA.

China had that one figured out.
Mining is among the worst thing mankind can do to our environment. Unfortunately, it is also something that is required for the advancement of our civilization.
Tapping out the rest of the world for resources, while saving our own... is smart... It is smart and wise at every level from an ecological perspective, economic, technological, and even geopolitical.

Wind and solar don't provide baseload Only nuke, hydro and coal can do that.

My statement above is rendered untrue if very cheap energy storage comes in the next breakthrough.

I dunno as far as AI taking Jobs.

Yes maybe but that assertion has always been made. The robots at the auto plant took the painters job. E-mail took postal jobs. The automobile made the wagon maker obsolete etc...

Wind and solar don't provide baseload Only nuke, hydro and coal can do that.
Base load is the minimum level of demand on an electrical supply system over 24 h. Base load power sources are those plants that can generate dependable power to consistently meet demand. It will require government intervention to prevent power companies buying from the lowest bidders (solar and wind)

My statement above is rendered untrue if very cheap energy storage comes in the next breakthrough.
High voltage DC power lines and superconductors are also options. One thing I would like to see is a system where I can store energy in my batteries and sell it (back) to the grid when demand is high.

I dunno as far as AI taking Jobs.
I am far more worried about Large Language Models like GPT-4, PanGu-Σ and others replacing jobs in the near future. I am also worried about feeding LLM's bad data, which is another reason I go after conspiracy theorists so hard. It could seriously harm us.

Yes maybe but that assertion has always been made. The robots at the auto plant took the painters job. E-mail took postal jobs. The automobile made the wagon maker obsolete etc...
True and every time those jobs were replaced by other jobs. Maybe we can do something more interesting this time, like work fewer hours, spend more time studying, hobbies etc. My concern is that this is going to happen fast and we are not ready for it.

No it was not a troll. It was tongue in cheek mostly. But the point still stands - there are a LOT of holes in the entire evolution theory, at least the way its being presented in the mainstream "science".
As for education, i think that entirely depends on what "education" actually means. If your meaning of education is 15 years of brainwashing in public school system (anywhere in the world), then you need to completely rethink everything you thought was true.

I suggest this book

And I'll go back to actual science.

While everyone is doing mental backflips to push this or that agenda,

Pure science, as in DNA. When you can track the entire human race back to 2 or 3 different females (mothers DNA decends directly) then that's slam-dunk evidence.

When scientists drill ice cores that predate humans, and can track carbon deposits, can identify specific carbons, like from volcanoes, and they can directly point to carbon produced by coal, and can abslouthey prove the rise in temp perfectly matches the industral revolution, then that's also a slam dunk.

They can even track when lead was added to gasoline, and the carbon deposits from gasoline can be differienated from coal carbon deposits.

Included in that is radiation from the first nuclear testing up through the last French nuclear tests. Ice cores is how they identified specifically what method Russia/Soviet Union used to make their weapons grade fissionable material by the residue that gets deposited world wide...

I really don't give a crap about anyone's politics, religion, 'Beliefs', whatever. People being delusional is nothing new, humans have that particular mental defect, and it manifests in different ways. It's unavoidable, I'm just not going to participate...

Last edited:

Pure science, as in DNA. When you can track the entire human race back to 2 or 3 different females (mothers DNA depends directly) then that's slam-dunk evidence.

When scientists drill ice cores that predate humans, and can track carbon deposits, can identify specific carbons, like from volcanoes, and they can directly point to carbon produced by coal, and can abslouthey prove the rise in temp perfectly matches the industral revolution, then that's also a slam dunk.

They can even track when lead was added to gasoline, and the carbon deposits from gasoline can be differienated from coal carbon deposits.

Included in that is radiation from the first nuclear testing up through the last French nuclear tests. Ice cores is how they identified specifically what method Russia/Soviet Union used to make their weapons grade fissionable material by the residue that gets deposited world wide...

I really don't give a crap about anyone's politics, religion, 'Beliefs', whatever. People being delusional is nothing new, humans have that particular mental defect, and it manifests in different ways. It's unavoidable, I'm just not going to participate...

The basics are solid.

The "deniers" are reacting to the opportunists who exaggerate the problem for financial and power gain.

I'm ok with whittling down fossil fuel use.

I'm not ok with a decrease in my freedom and quality of life in pursuit of that.

...I'm not ok with a decrease in my freedom and quality of life in pursuit of that....
For whatever reason that seems to be a cry of deniers... you'll have to give up freedoms, you'll have to eat bugs, you'll have to give up your cars...
I think they just don't understand what's going on and are reacting to extremists.

None of the actual solutions call for anyone to give up anything other than taxes. Of course, the "actual" solutions are also currently weak and the tax amount you'll pay is about the same as to support NASA (that is, not much).

There's also that it's all a plot to control or get rich. If it's a plot they're doing a horrible job in the U.S. because over the last 40 years we just haven't been spending as much as we probably should have on it. I suppose Gore made money from his books and movies. But, the same can be said of deniers.

Things like "cows cause a lot of methane and are inefficient food sources for humans" are just facts. No one has officially said we have to phase out cows. A few hundred posts back I did the carbon offset calculation and I'm pretty sure it was under $1/lb.

I can see synthetic plant-based meats becoming a far cheaper alternative since they are efficient. I've tried a few and would definitely add it to the diet if cheaper and safed. Currently, they lack the needed scale to be lower cost; but that should change over time. I've no problem with eating synthetic meats, algae-fake-steaks, or bug-fake-steaks as long as it looks, cooks, and of course, tastes good. People that freak about drinking recycled urine or eating bugs just don't realize they've probably been doing it (see #1,626).

The only concern I have with them is the macro and micronutrients of any replacements need to be correct. We evolved eating meat and need replacements to include them in the correct ratios. At the macro level (e.g., carbs, protein, fat), synthetics almost always look better (and they can do things like say no "mad cow" disease). But at the micronutrient level (e.g., amino acid makeup) it is harder to understand to get a handle on or if "extra" amino acids might cause problems. It's something I'd like to see the FDA get their arms around so consumers know what's what. Possibly they already have and one of you can comment on it.

Global temperatures are likely to surge to record levels in the next five years, fuelled by heat-trapping greenhouse gases and a naturally occurring El Niño event, according to a new update issued by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
...There is a 66% likelihood that the annual average near-surface global temperature between 2023 and 2027 will be more than 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels for at least one year.
ref
Sounds like they expect it to peak because of El Niño, but then fall back.

The basics are solid.

The "deniers" are reacting to the opportunists who exaggerate the problem for financial and power gain.

I'm ok with whittling down fossil fuel use.

I'm not ok with a decrease in my freedom and quality of life in pursuit of that.

Obviously, I'm OK with reducing fossil fuel use.
with a garage full of classic gas burners, I'm actually OK with it. They are slowly going to people that will appreciate them anyway, and if fuel is $50 a gallon, they don't get driven much anyway.

I REALLY don't care what power tills the garden or row crops, or pumps water as long as I don't have to get my old ass out there and do it by hand. I tried that and it SUCKS.

I REALLY don't care where the Watts come from to run the welders, machine tools, manufacturing line equipment, get grain/produce to market, or run the preservation equipment like my canning retort...

There is a reason we don't make 'Consumer Goods'. General consumers are victims of social engineering, and think 'Things' will make them happy, manlier men, prettier women, better people.
I can't recommend that particular delusion, but it's wildly shared.

My retort was steam powered, boilers scare the hell out of me, I used LP gas, which didn't give reliable heating times, now it's electromagnetic induction which is remarkable consistent heating times.

Since those big power plant LFP battery pack hit the used market, I've been working on an electric tractor.
It's "OK", does everything any tractor up to the 1970s would do, looks like something off a 'Mad Max' movie set. Just looks like a hillbilly made it in their spare time out of what was handy, which is exactly correct...

I really don't care how things are powered as long as the work gets done, and I can't see how I lost any 'Freedom'...

I think some of you read about my 'Golf Cart'... it doesn't tear up fields, it's basic transportation, it plugs into the DC Buss, has air, AC & DC power, welds, etc. It's just a work/transportation vehicle that gets my busted up butt around.

I don't need to throw dirt or dig out big ruts so I don't need a big, powerful 4X4 on tall tires or something that will go 60 MPH in places you should never go 60 MPH. It doesn't belch black smoke, need to go to town for fuel, it doesn't annoy livestock...

Like I said, I can't recommend this life for anyone, it's hard work, common sense, basic science and not a lot of distractions. Issues & problems are enough distraction when you are getting work done.

Pure science, as in DNA. When you can track the entire human race back to 2 or 3 different females (mothers DNA decends directly) then that's slam-dunk evidence.

The problem is "pure" science as you say, has been hijacked by politics. Unless you are versed in every single scientific field (noone alive is), you will not be able to easily separate truth from agenda (bs).
While we can verify with reasonable certainty some scientific facts, things like climate are almost impossible to verify except by observation (and this one is not in favor of climate alarmists).

When things like this are happening left and right, it is very hard to believe anything or anyone (and that is actually what they also intend btw)

The problem is "pure" science as you say, has been hijacked by politics. Unless you are versed in every single scientific field (noone alive is), you will not be able to easily separate truth from agenda (bs).
While we can verify with reasonable certainty some scientific facts, things like climate are almost impossible to verify except by observation (and this one is not in favor of climate alarmists).

When things like this are happening left and right, it is very hard to believe anything or anyone (and that is actually what they also intend btw)

Well.... No.

First off, the delusion there is some sort of science that's not 'Pure' kicks your post off into the trash bin.

Science, by definition is to get to the KNOWN FACTS of things. Facts as we know them can change, but the science is always pure because it's looking for the absloute truth of things. New discoveries can change what we through were facts, but that was HUMAN ERROR.

As humans, we deal which what we have at hand. If accepted facts eventually change, we accept that. See gnomes or evil spirits, bad 'humors' for illnesses, as examples of scientific breakthroughs changing 'Known Facts'.

Pure science is pure science. It's science for science sake.

What you are talking about it spin, bias, conflating what wasn't actually discovered.

For 25 years the primary reference was a "Doctor" (PhD) for the climate change denying. That PhD was from an on line diploma mill and in religion.

Just nobody bothered to actually track it down since that guy never testified before congress, wrote any scientific 'White' papers that could be peer reviewed, etc.

By definition, Ignorance is simply a lack of education in a subject. A little education kills ignorance easily.

Stupid is willfully NOT doing any research or investigation at all, taking the word of someone that isn't formally educated or qualified in any way, and arguing any point that doesn't agree with your 'Beliefs'.

Science is changing all the time. New discoveries change the science, not the other way around.

If you 'Believe' something to be true, and simply refuse to accept anything new, then it's just that, a 'Belief' and not FACT as we know it.

Climate change deniers either scoff at CO2 level rising, because they can't physically see CO2, or because they were told the environment has always been changing in cycles, and this is a 'Natural' event... Are stupid.

With exception of huge volcanic events, or by impact from asteroid, this is the FASTEST the climate has changed...

This is a combination of ignorance of geological time spans, billions of years to get where we are, or its false religious 'beliefs' the biosphere is much younger than it is.

There is no time frame in the Bible or any other religious text other than the 7 days reference... and with about a week of research you find that is a mistranslation...

So for some idiot to say the earth is 4,000 or 6,000 years old, well, there's that...

If you 'Believe' you can survive in the carbon rich, primordial soup that was early earth, you are stupid.

It took BILLIONS of years for life in the oceans to sequester the carbon, removing that carbon and replacing it with an oxygen rich atmosphere is what allowed the primordial single cell life forms to evolve into multi-cell complex life forms... and that took hundreds of millions of years.

That 6th grade science class got missed by a LOT of people...
When they miss there are about 10 million viruses in a cup of sea water, then blame any given virus on a lab leak... when viruses have been evolving and adapting for at least 3.5 BILLION years...

6th grade science class got missed when they told you there is between 5 and 10 POUNDS of virus/bacteria in any given person... You can't digest food, retain nutrients without them... Then there's that...

COVID for example, right straight to China lab leak... completely disregarding the actual science. 20+ years of a virioligst waring about the mutation of what was called the SARS virus, which was basically a mutation of the MESRSA virus, and the proper name wasn't COVID, but that didn't mean anything for idiots wanting to blame someone... proper name was SARS2 COV19 or something like that. It was DIRECTLY related, a mutation of, a known virus that didn't originate in China and was on the map of virologists (actual experts) before the mutation/outbreak happened.

So our idiot commander & chief with filled diaper cut funding to the very agencies that were researching and warning about these outbreaks... then there's that...

When you don't waste time fixing the blame, you can spend thst time/resources fixing the PROBLEM, the. They went off on the government trying desperately to fix the problem instead of the blame...

I can't fix the holes in basic science understanding so many missed in 6th grade... not my job, way too difficult when they are willfully being stupid, petulant childern.

Ice cores PROVE, without a shadow of a doubt, that the current carbon in atmosphere issues are man made. They can track the differen kinds of carbon back to specific sources... So carbon from volcanos is different than carbon from coal/industral revolution, and different from gasoline... (trace elements)

Scientific observations from the past 300 or so years prove without a shadow of a doubt that temps are rising globally. It's simple weather station readings, a frigging thermometer!
You simply average the daily temp readings (simple math) and you find out things are getting WARMER on average...

Not rocket surgery even for the lead paint chip eating generation of childern...

Idiots point to ONE snow storm or ONE flood and say NO GLOBAL WARMING, all the while the rise in flooding, more severe artic blasts, along with increase in both frequency and intensity of storms will happen... It's just a spoiled childern screaming at the top of their lungs when they are told 'No'...

I remember snow storms... That lasted for WEEKS, some for MONTHS instead of a few days at most, right here in the same place I grew up, so about 60 years of compiled experience here... We don't have those anymore. We get 3 inches (instead of 3 feet) and people loose their crap about climate change/global warming...

All that about a single snow storm while there is irrefutable proof the snow caps are melting at an alarming rate... but these idiots stand defiant calling it 'Fake News',
But it's actually unequical SCIENTIFIC proof, so wrong on all counts. ...so there's that...

I could give a crap less about it really. To me, it's a YOU PROBLEM (and your offspring)...

I'm dug in, sustainable food, water, power in a temperate zone, and I built mostly tornado proof, have a literal truck load of replacment panels on hand for reconstruction/restoration of power.

My water wells are BELOW surface water, well into the bedrock, so poison the hell out of the surface water, I don't care... You and your offspring can deal with YOUR decisions and messes. ...so there's that...

I wrote about actual SCIENCE, from the scientific sources. I could give a crap less about the political spin, the fear response propaganda, or any of the rest of it.

I'll continue with planting & harvesting, sustainable zero energy greenhouse that can grow citrus (and anything else), and I'll continue to mess with gears & wires on the level I understand. If science makes breakthroughs I can use, I'll incorporate them... so there's that...

I find it remarkably ironic that science deniers inhabit a solar PV forum, solar PV being completely impossible without very specific science... They use batteries that are not possible without very specific science, but still deny/dispute basic science/scientific principals... Like I said, and science proves, humans are delusional by nature... so there's that...

Last edited:
So close and yet so far...

The difference between hyper rational and hyper logical personalities...

Rationalizing isn't being rational, it's two entirely different things.

Rationalizing personalities can rationalize anything, pro-life but supports death penalty for instance.

Doesn't matter if the two opposing ideas are mutually exclusive, like religion cures for illness they also go to doctors and use anti-biotics, then 'Praise God' they were cured...

The idiot that says computers are the devil's invention, created by a 'Godless' homosexual, and misspelled Allen Turings name, but posts it on a COMPUTER in meme form...

The political idiots that think the means justify the actions by lying, cheating, undermining all of the standard civilization is built on.

Then there is hyper logical, if crap don't make sense then it's crap. If it's not beneficial, it shouldn't exist...

The hyper logical are just baffled on a daily basis over tide pod challenges, busting things up, harrasing/annoying people for entertainment, etc.

Why are Monster Size Puckups all over the road? It's not like 90% of them are going to do any real work...

Answer: It's because people were Social Engineered to WANT (not need) bigger... And you more of a 'Man' if you have a gas guzzler that beaches black smoke, and you can crowd people off the road in road rage incidences.

In reality you WAY overpay the manufacturer for the vehicle, you pay a LOT more for fuel per mile traveled, your plates & insurance are higher, you will have difficulty parking it correctly, and when you don't you inconvenience everyone else trying to park around you.

Completely illogical, but its the way things are. $19.95 gets you a pickup from the big box stores when you actually need one... That's logical, and its much more cost effective for most people.

There are literally thousands of other examples, but you get the idea.

I can't cure it, but I finally recognize it when I see it...

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back