diy solar

diy solar

Canadian Import fees ?

Where in QC? How many are you planning on ordering? I'm going to be ordering 30-40 of them want to do a group order? I'm working with my supplier over there to see if we can get a price from the factory. He sources all my products and is very reliable. Let me know what you think. Im near MTL
I am around mtl myself. I bought 8x 150ah coslight cells, waiting on shipping now. 755CAD all in.

Like a few days ago. China won't open until Feb 22. Fully expecting 60-90 days from now.

Those are the Matched @ Factory cells, she does have lower cost "bulk" cells from the factory as well but they won't be matched, other than by voltage.
Is it really worth it to get the matched cells at the factory? I am going to be ordering 32 of them and have been talking to Amy. She quoted 116/battery plus shipping.

I have different cells, some matched & some not, matched makes a difference indeed, bulk will always have a runner or two and they limit what the pack can take.
I'm running 8S packs, during charge the bulk cells stay generally together till 3.400, there is always one a bit lower by 0.100 +/- and one will start going high and will eventually trip HVD. Even with am Active Balancer & Passive Balancing for charge 'on' above 3.350 the pack more or less caps at 3.475 per cell, which is fine. Then there is the "lazies" which will hit LVD before the other cells are there, so you get one @ 2.70 while the others are still up at 2.95/3.00

The matched cells don't run and stay pretty consistent 0.050mv till they hit 3.500. They also stay pretty tight during discharge down to 2.700.
The main voltage curve is 3.00-3.450 for LFP.

The gotcha with the bulk cells, you may get a good fairly close batch but you may not. No BMS or Active/Passive Balancer can fix cells that are out of whack. Balancers can compensate for some thing with odd cells but can also make a great difference with matched cells and really keep them together giving optimal performance.

BTW, EV's to Commercial batteries like Battleborn to Simplihi, Relion etc all the big commercial ones are Matched Batched & Binned to be identical for performance & longevity and that applies to all chemistries & grades.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm in New Brunswick, and had a hard time pulling the trigger on overseas equipment. I actually went with Frank Z's A123 LifePo4 used Bus modules. $100 plus shipping from Ontario, packs were well balanced, I bought 4. Only trouble is, they're 12s8p, a bit harder to find 36/40v equipment. But doable. They would basically be a 2x version of these(96 cells):

Been seeing some people converting them to a 24v pack as well.

I also decided to try one of those 40V packs (ANR26650M1B) but was only able to get about 470Wh out of the rated 736Wh
So for the price they're ok, but obviously well used
bae123module.jpg

I also decided to try one of those 40V packs (ANR26650M1B) but was only able to get about 470Wh out of the rated 736Wh
So for the price they're ok, but obviously well used
View attachment 38989
That sounds on par with what Frank was advertising. Instead of 3 kw with 4 of them, he was referring to them being closer to 2.5kw. I’m still piecing together everything for a capacity test.

Interesting read.

Have you found panels that are significantly cheaper than those that are available here @levaz ?

I ordered 30 of the 25Ah LiFePO4 Navitas batteries from BatteryHookup, and just got my duty/tax bill from DHL. It was $77cdn. of which $19 was brokerage, the rest HST.

My order was $356USD plus $83USD for shipping....

Should be here Monday.

I just went with 4 cells off the Blmpow on aliexpress shipping to Toronto.
Any suggestions on best inverter / bms / van charger / box? Or maybe I should root around the threads more.
Have you got the batteries yet? I ordered some last week from blmpow and delivery is expected mid June.

Have you got the batteries yet? I ordered some last week from blmpow and delivery is expected mid June.
No did not received them yet. They left after that Chinese new year, so probly first march, so add 3 months...
They changed me 40$us more, for shipping, because I was far... Did not like that.
I guess New-Brunswick is further then most of Canada !!

Back