diy solar

diy solar

CATL 271Ah cell issues.

Michael B Caro, I have sent you a private message about 150ah and 202ah cells in country; when you have time please check. To everyone else I think Mike is working through the problems the best he can. Dealing with suppliers on the other side of the world has its problems that most of us have no experience with.

Like others, I did not order 272ah cells but rather 310.

Also, as other stated, there is no where stating missing bus bars, wrong studs, or otherwise not new grade a cells.

@Michael B Caro

What timeframe does Alibaba give you for a resolution?

I too have been scammed by China, and finally quit buying used cells. Right now currentconnected.com has a $100 off coupon code on brand new SOK cells (coupon code was HALLOWEEN and just worked) which puts the price per Ah so low that it's just not worth the risk of buying used b-grade cells from China.
what do that have anything to do with this theat ?

I too have been scammed by China, and finally quit buying used cells. Right now currentconnected.com has a $100 off coupon code on brand new SOK cells (coupon code was HALLOWEEN and just worked) which puts the price per Ah so low that it's just not worth the risk of buying used b-grade cells from China.
China didn't scam you, your supplier did.

Sorry but that was rude. Salesman I presume. I have received spam in this group about buying other cells, but at least it was private messaged to me. I hope others do not spam this very important thread

Michael Caro; I have sent you a private message regarding cells you have on hand.

Although I did receive the cells I ordered through Michael and all but one was in good physical condition. (One had a small dent in it which I initially missed.) It doesn't appear I got what I paid for. Mine were supposed to be 271ah CATL EV cells that I paid more for than the standard commodity cells. They were not swollen and the QR codes are intact.

But they have all tested below their ah rating by an average of 10ah. The lowest was 258ah and the highest was 264ah. Now granted these were presented as unused EV cells that had been sitting in a warehouse so I suppose the lost ah could be attributed to calendar aging. They also show no indication they were matched & batched which I assume they would be if they were EV cells.

The initial charge had cells running away long before the pack was close to being charged and of course the discharge after top balance showed a similar pattern.

In contrast earlier this year I bought 16 basen 272ah cells and all tested 10ah above their rating but were obviously not matched & batched, but then I didn't expect them to be.

I suspect my batteries were not EV cells but commodity cells that were either used or sat for several years unused somewhere.

Although I did receive the cells I ordered through Michael and all but one was in good physical condition. (One had a small dent in it which I initially missed.) It doesn't appear I got what I paid for. Mine were supposed to be 271ah CATL EV cells that I paid more for than the standard commodity cells. They were not swollen and the QR codes are intact.

But they have all tested below their ah rating by an average of 10ah. The lowest was 258ah and the highest was 264ah. Now granted these were presented as unused EV cells that had been sitting in a warehouse so I suppose the lost ah could be attributed to calendar aging. They also show no indication they were matched & batched which I assume they would be if they were EV cells.

The initial charge had cells running away long before the pack was close to being charged and of course the discharge after top balance showed a similar pattern.

In contrast earlier this year I bought 16 basen 272ah cells and all tested 10ah above their rating but were obviously not matched & batched, but then I didn't expect them to be.

I suspect my batteries were not EV cells but commodity cells that were either used or sat for several years unused somewhere.
I concur. I had more damage but the ones tested were exactly the same rage of 258 and 264Ah. I would still be interested to receive my cells but would be uninterested in the same type of stock.

It would be great if @Michael B Caro would address this issue specifically.

I concur. I had more damage but the ones tested were exactly the same rage of 258 and 264Ah. I would still be interested to receive my cells but would be uninterested in the same type of stock.

It would be great if @Michael B Caro would address this issue specifically.

I expected to have gotten something akin to grade A cells but obviously did not. They could also have been cells that were new but were rejected because they didn't give full capacity. If thats the case and since new cells typically test higher right off the bat but then drop down shortly after that to their rated capacity then these cells may lose 10ah more in short order if they are new rejects.

I'll be a dic@#% here lol.
A new cell that dodnt make spec is ..... wait for it.......
Still a new cell.

I just thought of that and had to chuckle a little.
Everything is always in the spin ain't it .

My 280 from starmax tested 252. They scratched off al the qr codes but one. It said 252.

Sneaky bastards. They kept telling me they tested before shopping. My testing is wrong .

Well, for starters, I don't know what a theat is. Perhaps you can elaborate. The threat here is alibaba sales of junk-lithium to the USA. Lots of people seem to have been ripped off in this manner.

You can buy good-quality factory NEW cells from US sources, with a full warranty at or below the price of buying Chinese alibaba rip-offs and then paying another leg for them to be shipped to your address in the US. I just bought 68 brand new (2021 mfg date) CALB cells through currentconnected delivered to my dock, and paid less per A-h than than what these alibaba sites want for questionable product PLUS massively overpriced shipping. Keep in mind, China has no consumer protection laws. If you got something that looks like the picture in the listing, then you got what you paid for. The Chinese word for "amp-hour" is roughly "install training small time" Trying to say this cell is minus 60 amp-hours isn't easy; I've worked in Suzhou and Shenzhen China - it's never easy to explain problems of an electrical nature because the language is ancient.

Where do these alibaba cells come from?

When a cell (call it 302 Ah new) gets WORN OUT by the Chinese government run power grid storing solar power by day (1hr charge per bank) and delivering that power by night (3hr discharge per bank), it gets removed from their ESS application and sold as SCRAP. Why? Because it doesn't store as much as it did when new; it's no longer cost effective to use. The scrapper then tests a few of the worn out cells and if they fall into a -10% bin (-30 Ah) they ALL are suddenly reborn with nuts or bolts welded to the top terminals, and with 272Ah specs. Oh, and they usually scratch out the manufacturing code because the scrapper in China was supposed to reclaim metals, like copper which is at a premium in China instead of selling their worn out junk to other countries as being new, to get more out of the scrap.

About compression fixtures:
None of my genuine CALB cells have any bulging sides nor require ANY compression, per the CALB owner's manual. I cringe when I see people talk about fixturing all these plates and allthread to compress their bad cells. Once a cell "goes bad", it bulges out. That's when it should be removed from service, not put into service in another country! I've measured my L173F230B cells and none of them change thickness more than .005" thick between full charge and empty. Some "A" grade cells change by .075"

About scams:
To avoid the china scams, you should scrutinize the seller - take and download all their alibaba pictures then run them through google images search. Many times, they are just generic pictures of a lobby, or a picture of a building with steps in front and something written in Chinese, and they're used by multiple companies trying to look big on alibaba. Notice how fuzzy the photos appear? Compare the sharpness of their alibaba photo with one taken on your phone. They add the fuzz in and/or flip left-right effects so it's not clearly plagiarized from another website. Think about it - if you were running a company in China, and paying to list on alibaba, would you go outside and take a nice, sharp, and clear picture of your business to upload, or would you just find a stock photo that looks better and apply photoshop blur effects to hide where your company name got inserted into the stolen pic?

You should also look at how many $ in VERIFIED revenue alibaba reports. If they claim $50M in sales, but alibaba reports $5K in sales the past year, you should run.

About grades? A+++?
Unfortunately, there is no clear grading for used cells. Alibaba sellers claim A, A+, A++ grade - so when does it stop with the plusses? When I test my "230" Ah cells using laboratory grade Keysight equipment, I'm pleasantly rewarded with 244.5 - 245.5 Ah, about 6.5% MORE than spec. CALB also tests every single cell they ship, and records its amp-hour capacity for each serial number, which I get on a spreadsheet inside every crate. CALB's numbers agree with mine to +/- 0.1Ah. The reason I trust CALB is because the Chinese Government owns a good portion of the company, and places an emphasis on quality. If you are a Chinese citizen, the last employer you will offend is your government.

Batteries do not come with an odometer to tell the buyer how far or how hard they've been driven by the prior owner. That, combined with the pacific ocean, makes it simple for a corrupt seller to send out some "free" samples to a YT reviewer, who then unboxes and unwraps them, shows how good they are and where they came from. All that's left is to wait for the money to come in and shipments to go out.
actually your playing on peoples distrust on china, and self servicing a purpose, selling batteries yourself i gather ?

moreover, there are virually 0 lifepo4 cells made out of chinese hands, 99% are imported and slapped with a fake sticker ( like most electronics).
your CALB cells ARE chinese..

CALB is a leading company in designing and manufacturing batteries and power system with advanced technology for various applications, enabling utility and industry customers to improve performance while lowering environmental impact around the world.
As a large national-owned enterprise, CALB is headquartered in Luoyang, China as well as going globally, with $140 million registered capitals and $600 million gross investments in the new industrial park, and has more than 2,000 employees worldwide

i find your whole post distasting

Last edited:
He never said they weren't. Actually, he specifically said they were.
Beat me to it. I’ll also add that his response was thorough and concise. It sounds as if the detractor from said comment really skirts around to imply it’s “racist”, but never once does he say anything about a people rather unscrupulous companies. For all we know it’s a bunch of American interests behind the scam. There’s been a lot written about why these cells are even available for anyone to buy outside of the 10,000 bulk cell orders the factory takes, but it seems to be overlooked when there’s $28 to save.

I went to current connected and here's what they sell that look to be close to what I bought through Michael. The big difference though is these cells would have cost almost exactly $1000 dollars more.

CATL 271AH | 3.2v LiFePO4 Cells | Grade A-​

• Cells show slight swelling
  • QR Codes are In-tact.
  • Cells do not meet full capacity, see description.
  • Covered under 30 day warranty. Buy at your own risk.
  • Stocked in USA – Ships within 24 hours and arrives in 2-5 days
  • These cells have been capacity tested by us and failed to meet their specified capacity. Their typical capacity based on our testing is over 250ah. Please purchase at your own risk. Capacities under 250ah are covered and will be replaced under warranty for 30 days from the date of delivery.

Not sure what virually means either, but you can elaborate on that too. Your errors in spelling and grammar make me suspect you are a shill defending the alibaba sellers of junk lithium.

The reason I always buy CALB is **BECAUSE** of the Chinese government ownership in the company. Having the China government stamp on the CALB test reports is as good as the Canadian Mint's assurance of 4 9's fine gold in their coins. You're not going to get away from Chinese manufacture of cells except for K2 energy, who really only serves the US Government demand for LiFePO4 batteries made inside the USA. K2 is massively overpriced. So, I looked for the most trouble-free mfg. of LiFePO4 in China.

As for me selling cells, and having a personal motive in this discussion - if you had READ carefully, you'll note that I **BUY** cells, not sell them. I have another 64 cells destined for my next project that are on the way somewhere in the pacific ocean right now. The two ways I get my price down are #1 taking advantage of currentconnected's buyer, who is in China, and who buys in 1M quantity, thus getting the price discount and opening up a range of factory new cells people can't buy using alibaba. #2, I pay in advance when the order is placed, then wait patiently for them to arrive, just like buying from alibaba, except the person I'm dealing with is a US business that takes credit cards, has free shipping, and not a photoshopped alibaba storefront insisting on ali-pay. If you get a bad product from alibaba, can you just pick up the phone and call them?

i.e. You can get a low price on new CALB, provided you order in advance and wait. If you want something today, you'll no doubt pay web prices.

Comparing the NEW CALB cells I purchased from currentconnected (with a 10yr warranty and free shipping) to their "A-" grade 271 Ah CATL cells (with 30 day warranty plus extra to ship), it looks like the seller is clearly saying these are either used or reclaimed cells, they do not meet the factory spec, and they are already inside the US for fast shipping. I call it "Junk Lithium" regardless of who you buy from - those cells are so degraded that they won't make a decent pack. If you want a 48v, 16 cell pack, it will be limited by the capacity of the WORST cell in the pack, provided you have a decent BMS watching each cell's voltage. Also note CATL does not make a cell with a threaded nut or screw-in stud. After the cells are reclaimed, the 3rd party house laser-welds these features onto the flat terminals, which are meant for busbars. Or, worse, they drill & tap the aluminum terminal with only 4 threads before penetrating the hermetic seal, which lets the liquid electrolyte out and atmospheric moisture & oxygen into the cell.

CALB, on the other hand, made the -B version of their 230Ah cell just for folks like us who need to bolt-on busbars or cables. Those welds of the inverted T nut, with helicoil inserts in the aluminum, are done perfectly by machine at the CALB factory, not by a 14 year old girl in a sweatshop using an IR laser welder without any IR blocking glasses nor PPE. The only other mfg. that I know of who has a threaded option from the factory is Winston-Thundersky.

If people are ordering 271 Ah cells and getting 250-253 Ah in their worst cell, then they are worse off than buying a 230Ah CALB that tests at 245Ah because CALB always includes margin ABOVE their spec, just like battleborn did in the early days. CATL specializes in QUANTITY. CALB specializes in QUALITY that is good enough for aviation. Those worn-out 250-ish Ah CATL cells already have one foot in the grave, while the CALB cells are straight off the production line, into a wooden crate packed with foam slabs, and with the slowdown at the port of LA, they get here in ~65-85 days. Lastly, the CALB cells are thinner than the CATL was 300+ now 250Ah cells.

"A-" CATL says 271, but tests at 25x with a 30 day warranty (PLUS Shipping)
NEW CALB says 230, but tests at 245 Ah with a 10 yr. warranty (Free Shipping)

Which one would you choose?
a shill oh wow, i am however serverly dystlectic, sue me.

just like everywhere in the world there is bad sellers in china, if one at all had done some dilligence AT ALL , in stead of going for bottom dollar, there wouldnt be such bad stories on ordering cells.

to answer your question, have had CALB 150's for over 10 years, just like i have EVE 280 now.
all comes down to finding a good supplier, and staying away from the obvious scams.

this however has -0- to do with the chinese people in general, and not even remotely with their government (regardless if i agree with their policy's or not).
these types of generalization usually stem from just 1 sentiment, but i dont have to repeat that , as it already has been mentioned here, let's keep it at a misplaced, overbearing national pride

virually no lifepo4 cells are being produced outside of china, reason is IP .
chinese companies dont have to pay it, others much more, making it almost inprofitable to make them.
there are, to my knowlegde no us manufactorers, or non to speak of.

there are how ever plenty of us resellers, that , like with some electronics, slap a label "made in usa " on them, mark them up by 120 - 300% , and apeal to that same misplaced national pride..

now , you are a new member ( with a grand total of no less than 6 whole posts ) and i have been here quite bit longer,
where the heck did you find the right or reason to call me a shill...

all your posts so far seem to point you as a shill that is serving his own self centred interests

Last edited:
a shill oh wow, i am however serverly dystlectic, sue me.

just like everywhere in the world there is bad sellers in china, if one at all had done some dilligence AT ALL , in stead of going for bottom dollar, there wouldnt be such bad stories on ordering cells.

to answer your question, have had CALB 150's for over 10 years, just like i have EVE 280 now.
all comes down to finding a good supplier, and staying away from the obvious scams.

this however has -0- to do with the chinese people in general, and not even remotely with their government (regardless if i agree with their policy's or not).
these types of generalization usually stem from just 1 sentiment, but i dont have to repeat that , as it already has been metioned here, let's keep it at a misplaced, overbearing national pride

virually no lifepo4 cells are being produced outside of china, reason is IP .
chinese companies dont have to pay it, others much more, making it almost inprofitable to make them.
there are, to my knowlegde no us manufactorers, or non to speak of.

there are how ever plenty of us resellers, that , like with some electronics, slap a label "made in usa " on them, mark them up by 120 - 300% , and apeal to that same misplaced national pride..

now , you are a new member ( with a gramd total of no less than 6 whole posts ) and i have been here quite bit longer,
where the heck did you find the right or reason to call me a shill...

all your posts so far seem to point you as a shill that is serving his own self centred interests
Agree. Too many folks think they know it all. It would be nice though if there were some other manufacturers were able to produce a quality cost effective product to compete. Capitalism works.

And yet here you are in this thread.
So are you saying that nobody who got into the group buy did their due diligence?
Actually what you are saying is exactly what the other poster is trying to convey. <shrug>

Yes I filed for a refund for almost all of the cells I ordered from them within the time period allowed, and yesterday elevated that request to a dispute.
There is an exception to the time period for anything that was never delivered, and so the rest of them can still be included and I am trying to get the Alibaba rep that is handling this to get back with me so that I can give them more evidence, and include the rest of the orders.
I plan on referring them to this thread in addition to all of the pictures and other evidence I submitted when doing the refund request. I could not send all of the evidence you guys have provided as there is a limit to how many attachments you can provide when filing.
@Michael B Caro
What tineframe did alibaba give you for resolution?

I assume you have a rock solid agreement/contract with all of your suppliers spelling out exactly what you were ordering and what was expected/guaranteed?

You’re here, you’re keeping in contact better....don’t shy away from these details or keeping us in the know with what you’re doing.

Do you purchase the cella for your own brand Through alibaba?? Just curious if you did if it would make you look more like a heavy weight with alibaba.

Thanks

Back