diy solar

diy solar

CATL LF280 280Ah from DOCAN

Haha, I have just received another Docan CATL 280 batch from Chinese warehouse. And noticed one cell with original QR code instead of small ones.
And it is ..... it is .... CATL 302 :)
By the way, manager said that they sent wrong cell.
Mine was manufactured in Nov 2021 by QR code

Measure the weight and see if it is the same as the other cells. If it is then we will know why these 280Ah cells are having capacity close to 300Ah. There should be a small difference between the 280Ah and the 304Ah CATL cells in terms of weight.

I wonder if it has to do with the date, I remember Eve started doing the B thing in early 2022, maybe other manufacturers did the same, so mid 2022 the qr code is hidden but before it is available.

so Nhanus09 you got 280s that tested to 966, but nvbt got 302 that are testing to 966?

Maybe they were all 302 being sold as 280?
Yes mine were sold as 280s.. those numbers are wh not ah.

nvbt, you must tell us whatever you do don't send it back to Docan or the warehouse before you do a capacity test. Heck I'll send you a fan tester if you need one. I currently don't' have any batteries just sold my entire 8s setup all 3 batts so its just sitting doing nothing.

I was literally just days away form placing an order for 16 of these for a 48v build!

Last edited:
nvbt, you must tell us whatever you do don't send it back to Docan or the warehouse before you do a capacity test. Heck I'll send you a fan tester if you need one. I currently don't' have any batteries just sold my entire 8s setup all 3 batts so its just sitting doing nothing.

I was literally just days away form placing an order for 16 of these for a 48v build!
With so much investigation, I'm quite curious on what you'll buy!

With so much investigation, I'm quite curious on what you'll buy!

Well I have purchased from Xuba, Basen and Luyuan. Luyuan for the most part was the best but pricey and also real grade A. So yeah this time I'm going to make sure, but leaning towards whichever vendor has cells with test reports (grade A) for the cheapest, although the price is 1.6x times higher...

It is just not possible to send a cell back to China, too much troubles and cost :) Manager decided to ship spare cell on next order. Just now it is assembled (we have noticed a problem after battery assembly and startup) and working in my fiend setup as the only battery, so I can't easily pull it out for testing. After the next order we will replace it and test.

Yes they just came today. I'll make an XLS file with all the results.. iv only opened 2 of the 24 boxes.. it will be a while lol
Iv tested 15 cells so far and this one came in at 300ah! I can say with 100% that these are in fact de-rated 302s. I wish they advertised as such.. ppl would still buy them. I would still buy them.. transparency is all we ask.

Attachments

• 20230203_074400.jpg
    20230203_074400.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230203_074309.jpg
    20230203_074309.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230203_074304.jpg
    20230203_074304.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 21
wow thanks for the test. Yeah Agree just call them 302, but I think docan doesn't want people getting angry so they are calling them 280 to avoid issues... Just goes to show they are all reading the forums and know people are testing cells haha...

nvbt, waiting for your tests bro you can complete the puzzle!?

wow thanks for the test. Yeah Agree just call them 302, but I think docan doesn't want people getting angry so they are calling them 280 to avoid issues... Just goes to show they are all reading the forums and know people are testing cells haha...

I encouraged the sales person from docan to read this thread.. so yes they are.

So iv built a 12v battery and this will be my test battery as I will be able to cycle the rated rated .5p discharge and .25p charge (150a/75a) respectively if we assume a 300ah cell. I will be able to do it faster at these rates as well as pushing the limits of the cells. I just need to get a 75a charger and I'll start the 100 cycle test.

Nate

Can somebody share the datasheet for the 302Ah CATL cells? Are the 302Ah cells the LEP71H3L7?

I'm finding one for the LEP71H3L7, but I'm unhappy with it. The cycle life is pretty low. I'll definitely not go with Docan if there is so a big deviation between what they are advertising and what they are selling. If I'm reading it correctly this is 50% capacity loss after 4000 cycles.

Attachments

• 1675493155650.png
    1675493155650.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Can somebody share the datasheet for the 302Ah CATL cells? Are the 302Ah cells the LEP71H3L7?

I'm finding one for the LEP71H3L7, but I'm unhappy with it. The cycle life is pretty low. I'll definitely not go with Docan if there is so a big deviation between what they are advertising and what they are selling. If I'm reading it correctly this is 50% capacity loss after 4000 cycles.
you should check the c rating used for testing..
remember the 280k '6000' cycles are only tested at 0.5 c (effectively doubling the lifecycles) while industry standard is 1 c,

Standard charge/discharge is at 0.5C by design for the 302Ah cells. I'm not worried about the 4000 number, I'm worried about the remaining capacity of 161Ah after 4000 cycles. If this is true, then the 80% SOH will be reached at ~2000 cycles. If not less...

If the numbers are correct this is way lower than the industry average. The usual numbers are for 80% SOH after 4000/6000 cycles. For these CATL 302Ah cells, it is like 50% SOH after 4000 cycles.

And if the numbers are way lower than the industry average, then the expected energy throughput over the battery life would be way lower compared to the competitors.

Standard charge/discharge is at 0.5C by design for the 302Ah cells. I'm not worried about the 4000 number, I'm worried about the remaining capacity of 161Ah after 4000 cycles. If this is true, then the 80% SOH will be reached at ~2000 cycles. If not less...
and this goes for eve, rept and basically all cells, and nothing to do with docan.

if you full cycle your cells every day, that is 5,5 years, and you'd still have 161 ah left

need more ?
add cells

if using lead acid cells that is something one can only dream of

For me, it is all about the specs. I have no multi-year experience, so I'm relying on the manufacturer's specs. Compare the 302Ah life cycle specs between CATL and some late EVE models. The difference is obvious. This is all I'm saying.

I'll likely be able to tell more in 5 years. But if I'm down to 50% capacity by that time and other folks are at 80% capacity this would be pretty disappointing.

And here comes the Docan falsely advertising these cells as cells with a lot better cycle life performance. It is not about 10-20 higher or lower Ah rating now. It is about what we will have in 5 years. And much more about what we would have in 10 years. This is the lifespan that I've been using to justify the battery cost.

This still does not make the 1.6x cost grade A cells a better option though.

For me, it is all about the specs. I have no multi-year experience, so I'm relying on the manufacturer's specs. Compare the 302Ah life cycle specs between CATL and some late EVE models. The difference is obvious. This is all I'm saying.

I'll likely be able to tell more in 5 years. But if I'm down to 50% capacity by that time and other folks are at 80% capacity this would be pretty disappointing.

And here comes the Docan falsely advertising these cells as cells with a lot better cycle life performance. It is not about 10-20 higher or lower Ah rating now. It is about what we will have in 5 years. And much more about what we would have in 10 years. This is the lifespan that I've been using to justify the battery cost.

This still does not make the 1.6x cost grade A cells a better option though.
you should compare the specs between the 302 and Eve 304, and you'll find them very similar, if not equal.

i realy dont get it at all..
you got more cell , at a better price, and still not satisfied.

Back