diy solar

diy solar

Changing Growatt Fans

D. Abineri

I have an off-grid 6kW growatt split phase inverter and I would like to change the fans to quieter ones.

I am looking for someone who has done this, or at least researched how this is done.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Dave

Not sure you'll have luck with this endeavor. There are other variables at play then just the fans. The case design, mounting of fans, cfm of fans, blade pitch .....

A higher cfm fan ran at slower speeds may do the trick. But you need a speed controller.
Rubber mounts on the fans could stop vibration noise. Before making any changes. You should set a base line of what temperature the current heat sinks achieve at operating loads.
Just make sure you are cooling the heatsinks down correctly what ever you do.

Can always add external cooling, 12 volts fans with a small power supply will cool the inverter down so that the built in fans don't come on that often, is the way I done it for many years, my GTI, charge controllers and DC to AC inverter fans don't turn on at all, it depends on the load though, under heavy load they will, I don't heavy load my inverters so they stay cool to the touch, every once in a while they will run for maybe 30 seconds or so.

Attachments

• 20220808_234135.jpg
    20220808_234135.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 29
Can always add external cooling, 12 volts fans with a small power supply will cool the inverter down so that the built in fans don't come on that often, is the way I done it for many years, my GTI, charge controllers and DC to AC inverter fans don't turn on at all, it depends on the load though, under heavy load they will, I don't heavy load my inverters so they stay cool to the touch, every once in a while they will run for maybe 30 seconds or so.
Herb, This is exactly the conclusion I had come to. I have been looking for an appropriate external cooling fan to prevent the internal fans from energizing. Has anyone done this with a Growatt successfully?

Thanks

I am looking for someone who has done this, or at least researched how this is done.
Tis a black hole of proverbial rabbit holes

As already stated there are many, many variables, size, thickness, number of blades, blade pitch, ac, dc, brushless, with ball bearings, without ball bearings, 2 wire, 3 wire, 4 wire ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I just put a portable air conditioner in the room with my Growatt and not heard the fans since

Tis a black hole of proverbial rabbit holes

As already stated there are many, many variables, size, thickness, number of blades, blade pitch, ac, dc, brushless, with ball bearings, without ball bearings, 2 wire, 3 wire, 4 wire ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I just put a portable air conditioner in the room with my Growatt and not heard the fans since
LOL, that took care of it for sure, hey? I got a 12k next to mine also, hell the AC is louder than the Growatt so no worries, he-he. Anyways I do have 2X80mm 1600 RPM 12v fans (with external wall 12v power supply) as seen in the attached picture, one on each side on (exhaust ports) of the Growatt's case and they run continuously but quietly, I don't hear the Growatt's fans ramp up but the highest load is that AC and is a split unit so during startup early in the mornings it will draw around 1kw for a few minutes then taper down to around 280 watts and less with a ramp up here and there during the day. The panels charge the batteries by the end of the day, wash, rinse and repeat the next say. This is an upstairs unit and it shaves around 5kw from the main central AC (3 Ton) unit and it keeps the upstairs cooler during hot Summers! The average daily consumption of the central unit is around 25-30kw during hot summer days, but I also have a grid tied PV system and that takes care of the rest while the grid power is up and running, hence this backup system for the times the grid goes down! It won't run the 3 ton AC but the split unit will help some in the mean time also planning on a second unit downstairs and that will make the setup more effective without breaking the bank!

Attachments

• 20220808_234135.jpg
    20220808_234135.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
LOL, that took care of it for sure, hey? I got a 12k next to mine also, hell the AC is louder than the Growatt so no worries, he-he. Anyways I do have 2X80mm 1600 RPM 12v fans (with external wall 12v power supply) as seen in the attached picture, one on each side on (exhaust ports) of the Growatt's case and they run continuously but quietly, I don't hear the Growatt's fans ramp up but the highest load is that AC and is a split unit so during startup early in the mornings it will draw around 1kw for a few minutes then taper down to around 280 watts and less with a ramp up here and there during the day. The panels charge the batteries by the end of the day, wash, rinse and repeat the next say. This is an upstairs unit and it shaves around 5kw from the main central AC (3 Ton) unit and it keeps the upstairs cooler during hot Summers! The average daily consumption of the central unit is around 25-30kw during hot summer days, but I also have a grid tied PV system and that takes care of the rest while the grid power is up and running, hence this backup system for the times the grid goes down! It won't run the 3 ton AC but the split unit will help some in the mean time also planning on a second unit downstairs and that will make the setup more effective without breaking the bank!
Well I have heard the fans a few times since LOL

I also posted a place to find fans and a link to the one I'll buy for mine, here,

I have Growatt SPF 3000 TLs and even at 1deg C the fans never turn off, just slower.

Back