diy solar

diy solar

Chargeverter efficiency is around 75%

boondox

Chief Engineer, RedNeckTech Industries
I was having an issue with a breaker popping while using the chargeverter. In the investigation process I discovered that to put 5.1kW into the batter bank using the chargeverter I was pulling 6.8kW from the generator. I was a little surprised that the efficiency was that low. That is like a space heater running! Definitely going to make an impact on fuel economy. Today I will charge using the Magnum inverters and see what their efficiency is, to be honest I have never checked and now I am curious.

Anyway, just thought I would mention it because when calculating how much power to put in the battery VS generator capacity it makes a difference.

I was going to say space heaters have 100% efficiency but then I read it again and you are saying that the missing power is the equivalent of a space heater running.

I'm curious to know your magnum charging efficiency. For comparison my sunny islands are about 84-92% and at 5kw are around 88%

I know the Victron Multiplus charge efficiency drops if sets to accept dirty power.

You guys would know better but isn't the chargeverter designed to accept crusty power?

Woukd that ability be the reason for lower efficiency?

How did you measure this? First problem might be not measuring the loaded voltage same time as the amps is measured. Second problem might be not measuring power factor. Third problem not accounting for wire losses.

You need a steady 240V or higher to get a full 100A out of these.
If the input drop below 240 the output will drop a similar level.
Did you use a MM and measure the input power when determining the below 100A numbers?

I run mine up to 80A with 230V +/- input as I do not trust any mfgs listed specs to run at full all the time.
I want an margin for errors.

The units themselves can use from 90V - 264V input due to SMPS PSs.

You need a steady 240V or higher to get a full 100A out of these.
If the input drop below 240 the output will drop a similar level.
Did you use a MM and measure the input power when determining the below 100A numbers?

I run mine up to 80A with 230V +/- input as I do not trust any mfgs listed specs to run at full all the time.
I want an margin for errors.

The units themselves can use from 90V - 264V input due to SMPS PSs.
so can they run on 208? I have a 10kw 3 phase denyo that i was thinking about putting either three of them running on 110 or two of them on 208. figured even if I could only do 40 or 50% on 110 that would still be 120-150 amps which would load the genset down and gain some in charge time etc.

I was having an issue with a breaker popping while using the chargeverter. In the investigation process I discovered that to put 5.1kW into the batter bank using the chargeverter I was pulling 6.8kW from the generator. I was a little surprised that the efficiency was that low. That is like a space heater running! Definitely going to make an impact on fuel economy. Today I will charge using the Magnum inverters and see what their efficiency is, to be honest I have never checked and now I am curious.

Anyway, just thought I would mention it because when calculating how much power to put in the battery VS generator capacity it makes a difference.
That's not right.

Are you sure about that wattage?

What generator are you using?

I don't agree with the numbers, something must be wrong. Feeding crusty 55hz @ ~205v power to my 12-unit setup gives out 1082A @ 54.6v drawing 182A per phase, 59174w out / 64546w in= 91.6% which is pretty much right in spec.

1708353640016.png1708353667000.png

Today I will charge using the Magnum inverters and see what their efficiency is, to be honest I have never checked and now I am curious.
Did you ever see what the efficiency of the Magnum is?

Me and my Dad have similar Motorhomes, his with a Magnum 2kw inverter (OEM installed), and mine with a Xantrex 3kw (OEM installed also). I found out the Xantrex is absolutely piss poor horrible at 55-60% efficient when charging 12v. I checked my Dads Magnum and it was a measly 65-70%. Not impressed.

How did you measure this? First problem might be not measuring the loaded voltage same time as the amps is measured. Second problem might be not measuring power factor. Third problem not accounting for wire losses.
I'll second the measurement question.

Could be VA vs. W issue or number of other issues.
What was the AC wattmeter used?

I'll second the measurement question.

Could be VA vs. W issue or number of other issues.
What was the AC wattmeter used?
Last time I checked, PF was 100% at full load...so VA should be identical as watts at full load.

Last time I checked, PF was 100% at full load...so VA should be identical as watts at full load.
Yeah I imagine they are power factor corrected and .95+. Most likely problem is generator cord voltage drop. The EG4 1200w 48v charger also had someone reporting it was tripping a 15 amp generator breaker, which turned out to be due to the extension cord.

Back