diy solar

diy solar

Choices, choices, and more choices, inverters!

Cajunwolf

Solar Enthusiast
Okay, I got my batteries, an excellent deal too, and that doesn't happen to me often. I have 4-12-volt 200ah, to be configured into 24-volts at 400ah. Check.
Now for Inverter, solar charge controller, and charger. I think I found some panels at SunTan Solar, but that's for another thread. Next, I'm doing the Inverter. So, I'm an old fart, retired, and will be living in this 28-foot class C RV. That's the ones on an E-350, etc. I have a rooftop and window unit. I use one or the other depending on the season and climate. Other than that, there's the microwave, a ten cu ft fridge, TV, coffee maker, and occasionally an air compressor, small, and pressure washer. I also have one of those little Boat/RV washers with a spin-drier (high-speed slinger) to do cloths. I've narrowed it down to the Giandel 24-volt 4kw and the Reliable (WZRELB) 24-volt 4kw. These seem to be the popular units within my budget range; seven out of ten were more than happy. I'm not rich, and I know it's not tier 1, okay. My question is, how many of you have these units or something similar, and what's your thoughts/experience. Now, I'm listening if someone has other options in the same price range, but it has to fit my budget. As mentioned, I still need to get a charge controller for 1400 watts at 24-volts and a battery charger when on the generator or shore power.

Well, for what it's worth, @Will Prowse still recommends the Giandel's.

Have you considered an AIO from MPP or Growatt? Charge controller + inverter vs AIO? I think those top out at 3KW on a 24v though so not sure if that would be enough. As it is your 4KW is calling for 200a rated fuses and wiring.

Just a thought.

I'm not into the AIO's but have looked at them in the past. It's also a space issue. If I plan it all out carefully, I can get the inverter under the bunk with the batteries—the Charge controller to the left and behind that. It's a shoe-horn fit, to be sure.
20210616_191906.jpg

You have way more room than I do for my two 4s 280 Ah batteries and other components. Why are you going to raise the height of the bunk?

You have way more room than I do for my two 4s 280 Ah batteries and other components. Why are you going to raise the height of the bunk?
They're too low as is. You feel like your knees are in your chest when setting. That and it gives more room. I have four Chins 12-volt 200ah batteries, they take space, and the inverter is near as big as they are. My shore power card also coils up in there, but you can see the container in the picture, and some of the greywater plumbing from the shower to the tank is in there too. Overall, it will be a shoehorn fit. (Do people even know what a shoehorn is these days?)

Well, darn, I guess I didn't generate enough interest. If I go with the Giandel, what quirks can I expect? Does anyone have a better solution in the poor man's budget in the $500 to $600 range? What would be a good 120-volt A/C to 24-volt DC charger that would play well with the Giandel if I go that way?

I had looked at AIO setups before, and they're okay, but in my case, I like the separate components for various reasons. One is space. It all has to fit under the driver's side rear twin bunk. Look at the image above. I'll have just enough room for the four batteries, inverter, charger, and charger controller, using copper busbars. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

... But since your application is an RV, an inverter/charger which complies with whatever UL-xxxx for making/breaking neutral ground bond when plugged into shore power could be the way to go.

Obviously light weight is important for your vehicle.

From what I've seen in Will's videos, I think that 2kw one is pretty wide and flat too which should help cramming it under there. You going to have some sort of active airflow under there to help keep things cool?

Back