diy solar

diy solar

Combine solar with wind power

Kccain

I’m thinking of putting together a 48v off-grid system. I live in southern Wyoming, at 7000+ feet, and the sun is pretty intense in spring, summer and fall. In winter it can be very cloudy for several days at a time not to mention lots of ice & snow. However, the winter months are generally very windy, rais the possibility of supplementing solar with wind turbines.
Not sure if the system can be set up to automatically switch from solar to wind (and vice versa) so that at dawn, daytime and night win could generate power and during daylight solar could take over.
Any ideas?

If you find that wind is truly viable, in most cases, you would simply have two charging systems attached to the same battery providing whatever power they can. Why waste anything available?

I'd like to do the same thing..... add a wind turbine to my existing solar system. My house is in the grid.

Currently, my house has 24 solar panels. It uses an enphase.com system. I don't have any batteries in the system and don't want to add them.

Is it possible to add a wind turbine to my house wires that has a solar system? The solar has its own enverter and Enphase said their system can't have wind turbines.

What would need to be done to add wind and keep the solar?
Thanks

Last edited:
That would just be a separate grid-tie inverter. Neither system will care about the other.
SMA used to have different algorithms besides PV MPPT, and called some of their inverters Windy Boy and Hydro Boy.
Midnight has such algorithms for their Classic SCC.

Spinning turbines can make voltage surges which blow out electronics. Dump loads and clippers (which Midnight sells or sold) are needed.

There is a problem with going direct grid tie. After turbine starts spinning in the wind, has to qualify grid for 5 minutes before allowed to connect. A battery charger and inverter could get around this, but has other issues. A grid-tie inverter powered by grid rather than DC could remain enabled and convert power immediately.

It is possible. We understand most (all?) small wind turbines significantly underperform compared to specs. Most locations have insufficient wind and too much turbulence for the more efficient "lift" type airfoils to work. You need a very high tower to get decent wind. Cost will be greater than value of power exported.

Except for a few locations (or commercial scale wind turbines), small wind won't be worth doing for value of power. For an off-grid system, maybe it could be an alternative to backup generator when sun isn't available.

I have a Sol-ark 15k that was just installed. On the Batt screen therer is a tab for Wind. It has the option to connect wind to DC1 or DC2. I'm guessing those are the Battery terminals. Unfortunately I could not find any documentation on it. No picture or mention of it in the manual. Might want to give Sol-ark a call.

Why 'Switch' from solar to wind?

Combine the two.

I don't get enough wind, but I found it was the PERFECT finish charge medim when I was running lead/acid batteries.

First off, batteries don't care where the Watts come from.
As long as it's DC and has a voltage regulator so you don't overcharge, you can run wind in parallel next to solar to charge batteries.

I say DC because most wind produces in AC. One tip here is to move the AC to DC rectifier as close to the batteries as possible. AC has less line losses, and wind generators are usually remote to the battery. Just wire AC down to the battery are, then run it through rectifier and charger to battery.

There are larger combined units that accept auxiliary power input. I don't recommend combined units often if you can do modular components... But its an (Expensive) option.

Way out in the sticks. I prefer modular, less expensive components you can change yourself, if you have the basic education. 1/4 to 1/3 the cost, and nothing you can't replace yourself, get back up and running.

At 1/4 to 1/3 the cost, there is money for spare parts... Another bonus is when you need to replace something, you can get what specifically fits the application with the updates in technology without ripping the entire system (combined boxes) out and starting over. Expansion is a snap...

Windy, lots of snow... I have tested ground mount strings for 30 years and can recommend it.

North/South post runs, panel mount pipe through the posts, pipe/panels rotate East/West.
Panels can lay flat, or even flip over in big wind storms.
They can rotate vertical for snow/ice storms.

When you live with panels for 30 years, some things get old REALLY quick... I use 1/4 inch screen wire on the backs of my panels. Keeps rodents from chewing wires, and it will bounce a softball size hail ston off the panel without the panel getting damaged when the panel is face down.

Removing snow/ice is a real pain in the ass. Verticle panels collect very little of either. Rotate vertical when a snow storm is coming...

If you are way out and off grid, REDUNDANCY. Panels feed charge controller, that feeds a battery, the battery is En Banc with more batteries on a DC Buss.

Any one panel string can fail, any one charge controller can fail, any one battery can fail the Banc, but you are still up and running. Even two inverters in parallel is a really good idea... Flip a transfer switch and it's no longer cold and dark, the failed unit can go for repair/replacment while you are still up and running.

And with the reduced cost of equipment, and some DIY elbow grease, the system is cheap enough to have redundancy.

If you are on grid, then the grid is your primary with the RE being your redundancy with batteries...

As mentioned above...
The Sol-Arc 15k is a heck of a unit, Im still trying to grasp everything it *Can* (supposed) to do.

It can do both AC & DC coupled, it will accept standing systems (like Enphase micros) that are such a pain in the ass, unbelievably expensive to attach battery backup to, it doesn't care where the power comes from, or which battery you use, and will power the ENTIRE house. Not just a couple 'Emergency' outlets.

Solar panels, generators, wind, hydro, it really doesn't seem to care where the Watts come from. It uses inverters to convert/regulate production, so it doesn't matter.

They have the right idea, but it's a first generation product (full scale bata test) and some people ARE finding issues in certain situations. The big draw back is price. Around $8,000 USD.

The manual reads like a dictionary... I'm still waiting through it.

It depends on your education, experience and skill level. The more education you have the more options are viable. The guy that electrocutes himself changing flashlight batteries, better call someone and buy an installed, combined unit.

The guy that is comfortable with tools, knows how a crimper & soldering iron work, and isn't afraid of work has a very good chance of turning a pile of much less expensive components into a robust, repairable & redundant system.

Last edited:
Are you prepared for maintenance on something this tall? Wind is a LOT of work, even in the best state in the union :D

Are you prepared for maintenance on something this tall? Wind is a LOT of work, even in the best state in the union :D

If you have the space, and a winch, I used a leverage pole. (Gin Pole or Jin Pole)

The old Jeep has a winch. Everything done on the ground.

People used to ask what the short pole sticking up randomly in the field was, it's the cradle pole for the wind turbine head when it comes down.

Wind turbines were a bit of a maintance pain for me. I used permanent magents in rewound vehicle alternators... Weather!

I finally found an enclosed alternator that worked, weather issues became a stand-off for how long the case seal lasted. I'm a gears & wires guy, I had to learn air flow dynamic the expensive way... (never said I was the smartest guy in the room even when I'm alone ?)

I just didn't get enough wind to off set the cost in time & labor. I'm down in river bottoms with tree ridges all around, so there's that... When the laminar air flow is disrupted, not much you can do without a 300 foot tower to get back into clean air...

Uears down the road an actual wind turbine engineer told me to put money into the pole (mast), the taller and more rigid the better... Wish I'd know that 30 years ago when I tried it...

Everyone was going satrlite dish, I got a LOT of those old TV antenna towers cheap, so it could have been worse...

Back