diy solar

diy solar

Considering DIY Long distance from panels

Seriously dude, you got schooled after you tried comparing your DC voltage drop to AC without factoring in your conversion back to AC to run the house and then tried claiming you would be running 400 volts DC for your house system. I really want to see that.

As pointed out by Rhino you are not going to be running more than 25Amps DC so your entire calculation is a myth.

So stop the nonsense!
This person's responses have gone crazy. He is wasting everyone's time on here.

PLEASE SOMEONE BLOCK HIM.

I can understand that my posting "Problem with Solarcabin Channel - AIBU?" is "Awaiting approval before being displayed publically", but this thread and the others I referenced are ridiculous.

With all the conversation AND the stuff I've learned from the conversation, I should probably ask a different question about my goal(s). Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I am going to keep it here. Sorry if that is not the correct thing to do.

I am intrigued by solar. I have experience and access with lifepo4 batteries 48v typically. There are a couple of different applications in which I think I MAY could benefit from going solar, but I'm not sure how long it would take for me to recoup my ROI. I am an avid DIYer. That's the only route I will consider to do it. I would like to take advantage of any tax breaks here in the USA. Obviously, I want to get the best bang for my buck. I would want to start off small, but not limit myself drastically to the possibility of expanding if I saw benefits. The two applications I am looking at are one that I have kinda described here. Placing the solar panel system at my residence (whether the 500' away OR placed on the 350 sf flat roof described earlier) WITH a battery bank (I am thinking 1-2 48v 100AH battery lifep04 battery packs) and reduce the cost of my utility bill. To do this with this number of AH battery pack and be able to connect it to the grid as well, what would I need? How many panels? What size inverter? Simplest and best way to connect my system to the grid (no permits).

The second is for my parents. They have a lot of land in Florida in which they plan to clear off and move a large camper with 2 AC's and a Full refrigerator to. The camper will sit there permanently. The place will sit idle over half the year with virtually no electrical draw. However, when it is used it could be a large electrical draw due to several people staying at one time for a week or so. Would it make sense to go "off the grid" in this situation? He does have a 2800 Watt generator. It is not capable of running the camper alone, but possibly keep a set or 2 of batteries charged while heavy loads were being pulled? I don't know. I realize there a thousands of factors that go in to it, and most of them I don't know the answer to, but I am fumbling my way through trying to figure out if connecting panels would make sense here as well. Thanks for all the input!
An average home in the US will need a 5-7Kw system to run basic appliances.

However, a smaller off grid system of 1-3KW either roof or ground mounted can significantly reduce your power bills and you won't have to jump through all the codes for a grid tied system and you can still get the tax break. Just keep your receipts.

Depends on your night time power needs for a battery bank but in general you want twice as much solar as amp hours of LFP battery.

So if your solar panel system is 1Kw you would want at least 500Ah of battery capacity.

That is all dependent on your climate, amount of sunshine and use so that is just a ballpark figure!

So if your solar panel system is 1Kw you would want at least 500Ah of battery capacity.
That statement is meaningless (apart from the dodgy Kelvin-watt unit). You are not specifying a voltage of the battery.

Stop spreading misinformation - it is not even a ballpark figure.

At 48V, which has become the industry standard for home, rather than mobile, applications, 500Ah would equate to 24kWh. I never ready anywhere that 1kWp of PV would be a suitable match for 24kWh of battery. That would mean an installation of 6kWp would need 144kWh of storage! :eek:

Seriously dude, you got schooled after you tried comparing your DC voltage drop to AC without factoring in your conversion back to AC to run the house

Sorry but your argument doesn't hold water.
and then tried claiming you would be running 400 volts DC for your house system. I really want to see that.

Please point to this post, I'd like to see it. You have a problem with reading comprehension. Read the whole sentence this post contained. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/considering-diy-long-distance-from-panels.70884/post-899457

Either you are extremely ignorant or a troll. Troll appears to be winning.

As pointed out by Rhino you are not going to be running more than 25Amps DC so your entire calculation is a myth.

You have no idea how to get high wattage conducted from PV to a MPPT or why the trend is for MPPT's moving to higher input voltages while amps have remained about the same.

So stop the nonsense!
Yes, you should stop with your nonsense.

Funny because that is using a wifi hotspot. You might want to learn about that before responding.

"Mobile hotspots are also known by various other names, such as portable hotspots, Wi-Fi hotspots, portable Wi-Fi hotspots and pocket routers. In some cases, mobile hotspots are referred to as travel routers, but travel routers are a different type of device that usually rely on public Wi-Fi or Ethernet connections, rather than cellular signals."

You would say it was monitored via cellular not WiFi.

You would make that distinction otherwise people think you're saying the monitoring equipment can send a signal back to the wifi AP inside the house via 2.4ghz or 5ghz instead of having to talk out the cellular network which is the exact reason people called the statement out.

Using whatever terms you feel like using creates confusion and needless tailchasing in the people you're trying to educate.

Cellular creates a whole host of other problems that I'm sure you're unaware of especially when it comes to the use of non-cloud based applications.

You would say it was monitored via cellular not WiFi.

You would make that distinction otherwise people think you're saying the monitoring equipment can send a signal back to the wifi AP inside the house via 2.4ghz or 5ghz instead of having to talk out the cellular network which is the exact reason people called the statement out.

Using whatever terms you feel like using creates confusion and needless tailchasing in the people you're trying to educate.

Cellular creates a whole host of other problems that I'm sure you're unaware of especially when it comes to the use of non-cloud based applications.
You got corrected by the wifi techs and yet you persist.

Moving on!

Educate yourself:

My wife has a Samsung Tablet that has a SIM card installed. It talks to the cellular network and has a WiFi radio for talking to access points.

My Samsung tablet only has WiFi for talking to access points.

Imagine you working as a salesperson in a store:

Customer: "Can I use this tablet to access the internet when out of reach of a WiFi network"
SolarCabinChannel: "Yes, it has WiFi which means you can use it anywhere"
Customer: "ok, so why is this tablet over here $200.00 more and requires a monthly data plan?"
SolarCabinChannel: "I've been doing this for 50 years, I said it has WiFi didn't I, don't make me school you!"
Customer: "I'm just curious about the difference, I'm trying to learn"
SolarCabinChannel: "Well they both have WiFi, they each just have a different kind of WiFi. The more expensive tablet has more expensive WiFi than the cheaper tablet that only has the less expensive WiFi"

This person's responses have gone crazy. He is wasting everyone's time on here.

PLEASE SOMEONE BLOCK HIM.

I can understand that my posting "Problem with Solarcabin Channel - AIBU?" is "Awaiting approval before being displayed publically", but this thread and the others I referenced are ridiculous.
Censorship is never the answer. Like anything else, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Grid tie will require pulling permits and most likely an electrician or installer.

Some people promoting huge expensive system on here that most people can't afford.

I thought this was DIY solar?

I am out and good luck with your set up!
As for "If I were to try to go off grid" I guess that was not the best way to explain what I am attempting. I mean at some point maybe but not right off the bat. I apologize for the confusion.

Thank God for small miracles.
Plenty of crap in the thread.

Things certainly changed from off grid to grid tie once it came down to money.

Went on a parts run before noon and stopped by a friend's RV repair shop. He was telling me he had a woman that had spent over $4k on a 4Kw inverter and batteries at some RV solar shop, (not his). She told him the roof air quit in the middle of the night. He tried explaining the batteries will only supply X numbers of watts and once it was gone there won't be any power.

She could not get it thru her head.

I think many times people have expectations just a few solar panels can run things for a long time. In this thread, the expectations went from off grid to just getting "feet wet". Two entirely different scenarios. Plus planning on running inefficient appliances is a money and energy losing proposition. I always try to explain that practicing energy conservation is paramount to installing a solar system. Once that is done only then should one consider installing a system.

"Grid tie will require pulling permits and most likely an electrician or installer.

Some people promoting huge expensive system on here that most people can't afford.

I thought this was DIY solar?"

It is DIY solar. Most people have no interest in changing their lifestyle in order to run on a solar system. They would rather not live like a hermit in a cave shivering from the cold and be able to have a refrigerator and freezer so they don't have to daily go out and forage for food. Just because you might choose to live a certain way, doesn't mean everyone else wants to live that way.

OP stated 40 to 50 Kwh per day. Do you really think the OP would change their lifestyle in order to reduce the daily usage to a few Kwh per day like some hermit? I really doubt it.

It isn't an all or nothing deal. One can install a system for load reduction combined with backup power supply. It can also be done in stages. If the ultimate goal is grid independence, then it will take proper planning to realize the end result in stages. This requires knowing the capabilities and drawbacks of each choice in the long term plan. Having to replace perfectly functioning components due to inadequate planning is a waste of resources. The OP has not clearly defined what the goals are, all we can do is guess given the limited information given.

Rather than help the OP find a solution, the objective by some posts was merely trolling; this is reinforced by the above comments and other comments in the thread.

They would rather not live like a hermit in a cave shivering from the cold and be able to have a refrigerator and freezer so they don't have to daily go out and forage for food. Just because you might choose to live a certain way, doesn't mean everyone else wants to live that way.
OMG man you really have no clue and I have all the modern appliances of any home and a few you probably don't.

Thinking you are impressing me or anyone with your huge expensive system is just you pissing in to the wind..

Ethernet over cat5 is limited to 328ft max. Would have to go fiber or wireless for that distance.
You can get a mobile wireless hotspot like a T mobile on Amazon for under $20 and just have your phone company add it as a device on your account and use that to monitor remote equipment that has a wifi app.

That is done all the time and I can control my home security camera and monitor my wifi equipment from anywhere that gets cell phone service.

Costs me a whole $12 a month for an extra hot spot for my truck.

Back