diy solar

diy solar

Considering DIY Long distance from panels

You will probably still have to trek out to that field to get snow off those panels and clean them.
I don't know if the OP mentioned their location, but their user name includes Georgia. If that's the location, I doubt they are cleaning much snow.
If they're doing ground mount in a snowy region, it makes sense to mount the panels closer to vertical for better winter generation and to let gravity clear the panels.
Wifi can monitor systems at long distance.
My WiFi won't do 150 feet, let alone 500
Google says max WiFi range at 2.4 GHz is 300 feet.

Have you heard of Dunning–Kruger?

I don't know if the OP mentioned their location, but their user name includes Georgia. If that's the location, I doubt they are cleaning much snow.
If they're doing ground mount in a snowy region, it makes sense to mount the panels closer to vertical for better winter generation and to let gravity clear the panels.

My WiFi won't do 150 feet, let alone 500
Google says max WiFi range at 2.4 GHz is 300 feet.

Have you heard of Dunning–Kruger?
What? I control my wifi security camera from town 30 miles away all the time.

You are using an wifi app through the internet not your local wifi connection.

I have my own wifi hotspot.

D*mn! WiFi signal is gone; the inverter grew legs and walked away!

I have my own wifi hotspot.

Just need to run an Ethernet cable and deploy another near the inverter.

Or, place Wyze mesh routers as stepping stones, each with a PV panel and battery.

"Dunning–Kruger"

Wasn't he a serial killer or something?

How do you get wifi at the inverter? The signal from the house won't reach and the trench is long sense backfilled, so running an Ethernet cable seems like a lot of work.

How do you get wifi at the inverter? The signal from the house won't reach and the trench is long sense backfilled, so running an Ethernet cable seems like a lot of work.
You get an inverter with wifi and connect it to your wifi hotspot where they are located.

Then you can use your phone from anywhere to monitor the system and change settings as long as you get wifi in your area.

Just have to install the app.

This thread is wild.

They do make wifi repeaters that are specific for long range. I remember Linus from LTT on youtube doing it for a few occasions. One was to get internet to his parents cabin from thousands of feet away, something ridiculous.

You get an inverter with wifi and connect it to your wifi hotspot where they are located.
Ok, sure you could buy a cellular hot spot, but that's pointless additional expense.
They do make wifi repeaters that are specific for long range. I remember Linus from LTT on youtube doing it for a few occasions. One was to get internet to his parents cabin from thousands of feet away, something ridiculous.
Yup, they sure do. I'm not sure spending that money just to be stubborn and mount the inverter out at the array is worth the complexity of that solution.

This thread is wild.
Look, squirrel!
What were we talking about, where's the OP?

Ok, sure you could buy a cellular hot spot, but that's pointless additional expense.
You asked how it could be done and then claimed google told you it wouldn't work.

Now when I answered your questions politely explaining how it is done you get upset.

An extra wifi hotspot on my account would cost around $12 a month.

People use them for monitoring remote equipment every day!

Believe it or not, I am here! I’ve read every word! I have to admit. I’ve been lost a few times about what the argument was even about, but I chalked that up to me not understanding the lingo. Troll? I thought that was a fantasy creature with wild hair…. Idk… I have actually enjoyed the argument. I’ve learned some and laughed a lot. Not sure what I said exactly to spark such a debate, but let’s keep it up! I’m enjoying this!

Seriously, what exactly is the argument about? Whether or not the losses of power are greater with low voltage transmission or high voltage transmission? I think everyone is agreeing on this part, but possibly not enough to matter is the argument?
Thanks, I am enjoying the conversation.
The young pups are trying to sharpen their teeth on the old dogs bones is really what it is about.

I hope you got some good info and some options to consider!

The young pups are trying to sharpen their teeth on the old dogs bones is really what it is about.

I hope you got some good info and some options to consider!
You are arguing with some old dogs up above. One electrician with 40 years experience and also with at least one electrical engineer (and I think several of them). And proving to be a know it all jackass (who is usually wrong) on the entire thread and on others.

Last edited:
Also, you didn't spark the debate, that honor goes to someone else who is stubborn and doesn't understand math/electricity as much as they think they do.
OP question: "Because AC voltage travels better with less voltage loss than DC, would I be better off with the inverter near the panels?"

I answered the question, provided the voltage drop calculator and examples and suggested more options.

It was not I the long haired wild troll you speak of pup!

Seriously, what exactly is the argument about? Whether or not the losses of power are greater with low voltage transmission or high voltage transmission? I think everyone is agreeing on this part, but possibly not enough to matter is the argument?
Thanks, I am enjoying the conversation.
Everyone... except @Solarcabin Channel

You would not refer to remote Cellular monitoring as being monitored with WiFi.

Not at anytime ever.
Funny because that is using a wifi hotspot. You might want to learn about that before responding.

"Mobile hotspots are also known by various other names, such as portable hotspots, Wi-Fi hotspots, portable Wi-Fi hotspots and pocket routers. In some cases, mobile hotspots are referred to as travel routers, but travel routers are a different type of device that usually rely on public Wi-Fi or Ethernet connections, rather than cellular signals."

You might want to learn about that before responding.
STOP IT!

AKA... You might want to learn something about confrontation, arrogance and sexism.

I've been on professional forums over the years and there is always one in the crowd. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zfmkrj6#:~:text=There are many reasons why,, and for personal amusement.”

All but one member.

What panels are you considering and how large will the array be? What are you considering for a MPPT or inverter?
Seriously dude, you got schooled after you tried comparing your DC voltage drop to AC without factoring in your conversion back to AC to run the house and then tried claiming you would be running 400 volts DC for your house system. I really want to see that.

As pointed out by Rhino you are not going to be running more than 25Amps DC so your entire calculation is a myth.

if you only have single pair of cable going to the field you'd only be able to use 1 MPPT controller with a max of around 25A (for the larger MPPT controller on the 18kPV) at around 500V so your biggest array you could have would be around 12.5kW (25*500) very roughly speaking.
So stop the nonsense!

Seriously dude, you got schooled after you tried comparing your DC voltage drop to AC without factoring in your conversion back to AC to run the house and then tried claiming you would be running 400 volts DC for your house system. I really want to see that.

As pointed out by Rhino you are not going to be running more than 25Amps DC so your entire calculation is a myth.

So stop the nonsense!
Oh FFS.

Back