diy solar

diy solar

Considering DIY Long distance from panels

How did you arrive 3.6 kW of panels and 10 kWh of storage? Have you done a power audit or something similar to see if the power this system will provide is inadequate, overkill, or even close?

How did you arrive 3.6 kW of panels and 10 kWh of storage? Have you done a power audit or something similar to see if the power this system will provide is inadequate, overkill, or even close?
I haven't. I do plan to get a better idea of the draws this camper may see using a kwh meter and a clamp on meter, but I have not done it yet.

Something else I should add. It does appear that the county where this will be located does offer a net metering service. This I assume would mean that I would have to go through the proper permit procedures which I prefer to avoid, but I guess I can manage. However, I would guess this property will only be used 1/4 of the year at most. The other days it will be sitting idle and drawing very little power. IF I went the net metering route, I assume I could benefit from those days that there is little power draw and energy is being pumped into the grid on my behalf. I am more or less thinking aloud on this forum. Sorry for the ramble and uncertainty of which direction I want to go.

I haven't. I do plan to get a better idea of the draws this camper may see using a kwh meter and a clamp on meter, but I have not done it yet.

You could start by purchasing some batteries and the AIO and then charging the batteries with the generator and seeing how much power is drawn from them on a day to day basis and then after that, purchasing the appropriate amount of solar.

I personally prefer separate components but I'm not an expert...at all.

Principle is the same. If you find you need more battery, purchase battery until satisfied and if you end up needing more MPPT than the your AIO can provide, add an MPPT.

Something else I should add. It does appear that the county where this will be located does offer a net metering service. This I assume would mean that I would have to go through the proper permit procedures which I prefer to avoid, but I guess I can manage. However, I would guess this property will only be used 1/4 of the year at most. The other days it will be sitting idle and drawing very little power. IF I went the net metering route, I assume I could benefit from those days that there is little power draw and energy is being pumped into the grid on my behalf. I am more or less thinking aloud on this forum. Sorry for the ramble and uncertainty of which direction I want to go.

If the place is intermittent use and you have grid power available, just use grid power and forget about the solar.

The money you spend putting in a meter base will actually provide a return on investment should you choose to sell the land later.

One and done. You can use and enjoy the place rather than playing with a solar system and batteries etc.

IMO of course.

Most net metering plans limit your gain to useage... minus fees that happen the entire time you are on the grid.
So, if you are only using power 1/4 of the year, your max benefit is that months usage.
Some plans allow accumulation of production credits for other months... some don't.

IMHO... what you are asking about now...
So, at this point I am trying to figure out what it would take to make my parents camper completely self sufficient and off the grid. They have a 2800 watt generator
is so far removed from your original question...
I have a house that sits about 400-500 feet from an open 1 acre field. I live in area where (as far as I can tell) does not offer net metering services. I use approximately approximately 40kwh - 50kwh per day...
coupled with the fact that the subject is "considering-diy-long-distance-from-panels"

AND the thread is already 12 pages long thanks to "he-who-shall-never-be-mentioned-again" :rolleyes:

That it would be far better to start a new thread to discuss the requirements of a camper van, as you have pondered. Just my 2p!

2 or 3 105Ah 48v DIY LIFEPO4 Battery Packs.

48V 100 Ah weighs 100 lbs, 3 would be 300 lbs

Inverter weighs 14 kG, 30 lbs

10 panels at 45 lbs each is 450 lbs, plus some mounting hardware.
370W each, 3700W peak maybe on a great day.

How big is the "camper" and how much weight can it take? You've got 600 to 800 lbs of equipment here.

Rather than DIY 3 batteries or 3p16s, use 280 to 300 Ah cells 16s.
For 100 Ah, consider buying a server rack battery. Trade-off of some difference in cost, build quality differences, effort, form-factor.

There are assembled 280 Ah batteries, but price maybe 2x what you can do DIY.

You could save weight with smaller battery. If only 100 Ah, PV might be charging at 0.8C, likely too much. Can your inverter be programmed to limit charge current?

I like lots of PV, but your 10x panels weigh more than everything else combined. A problem for mobile application.

If you put the equipment on a power shed/trailer/container, then weight of camper is reduced. Maybe inverter and small battery on camper with a couple panels, extra panels stay behind. It would be possible to leave some batteries too, but could not be connected in parallel until brought to same voltage.

Well... 2800W x 24 hours is 68kWh basically...

And if the generator handles all the loads there, you should be fine getting that much in battery...
And a 4000W inverter.

IMHO... what you are asking about now...

is so far removed from your original question...

coupled with the fact that the subject is "considering-diy-long-distance-from-panels"

AND the thread is already 12 pages long thanks to "he-who-shall-never-be-mentioned-again" :rolleyes:

That it would be far better to start a new thread to discuss the requirements of a camper van, as you have pondered. Just my 2p!
I could go in and yank all posts not relevant to the OP...

I could go in and yank all posts not relevant to the OP...
Sounds like a lot of work - I would have thought it would get more notice and easier to follow being a new thread with a new title - but that's just my 2p.. up to you though, you're the boss :)

In this case, it may be more appropriate to place the inverter near the solar panels, as this will minimize voltage losses. It is recommended to choose a slightly larger inverter in order to cope with additional loads and future expansion.

In this case, it may be more appropriate to place the inverter near the solar panels, as this will minimize voltage losses.
Absolutely not, for all the reasons @Hedges, myself and others have details in this thread - did you actually read it all before replying?

Back