diy solar

diy solar

Create my own bus bar

Worst place to buy "copper". People end up with brass.
You mean brass copper plate. :) It is not even solid copper. It is plated.

All this brass argument is going the same way as the smashed copper pipe bit. Actually the smashed copper pipe is most likely better than brass.

Brass is 1/4 the conductor that copper is. Not sure how someone can say copper is in short supply - but use brass because it is 80% copper.

Do the math. Given that brass is 1/4 the conductor that copper is, along with being 80% copper, using brass means you are buying 3.2 times the amount of copper in the brass for the same conductivity as copper alone.

You mean brass copper plate. :) It is not even solid copper. It is plated.

All this brass argument is going the same way as the smashed copper pipe bit. Actually the smashed copper pipe is most likely better than brass.

Brass is 1/4 the conductor that copper is. Not sure how someone can say copper is in short supply - but use brass because it is 80% copper.

Do the math. Given that brass is 1/4 the conductor that copper is, along with being 80% copper, using brass means you are buying 3.2 times the amount of copper in the brass for the same conductivity as copper alone.
Yes, American copper water pipe is .999 copper. Here's a real C110 copper flatbar on Amazon.

I changed my mind about buying copper bar stock and making DIY busbars.
Spending a lot more for a Victron Lynx Power-In distribution unit wasn't really all that bad $wise considering what I got.

Power Voltage - range 9 - 60Vdc
Current rating - 1000A
Connections Busbar - M8
Busbar material - Tinned copper
Busbar dimensions (hxw) - 8 x 30mm (5/16 x 1+ inch)

4 stud bar (+ and -)
BUT in reality the interconnections for adding Lynx units gives me a 6 stud bar
- with nice and neat wire organization

Spending a lot more for a Victron Lynx Power-In distribution unit wasn't really all that bad $wise considering what I got.
I am having a hard time justifying the Lynx. Are you saying in the end it is cost justifiable? I ask as I am looking at a new RV that will be Victron based and having a hard time swallowing the Lynx system. Maybe I just need to do the raw math and see. :)

I am having a hard time justifying the Lynx. Are you saying in the end it is cost justifiable? I ask as I am looking at a new RV that will be Victron based and having a hard time swallowing the Lynx system. Maybe I just need to do the raw math and see. :)
I like the enclosed busbars (except for the exposed tabs with the rubber cover) all connections are covered
considering the cost of a quality single busbar (5 or 6 stud) and the need to buy a positive and negative
- the Lynx isn't that much more or actually less ($156)

I had my doubts too, but once I saw what I got I was impressed
I opted for the Power-In vs the LYNX Distributor with built in fuses because I'm going to connect 4 batteries in parallel (each fused class T before the Lynx) I may (probably) will get the LYNX Distributor in the future just because I like the look ? instead of adding separate fuses for SCC, Inverter and additional future SCC

Anyway, the Lynx Power-In does what I need at this time, all in one enclosure
Note:
I haven't wired it in yet. I'm just finishing up top balancing and capacity testing a pair of 24v DIY batteries to add to my bank

I like the enclosed busbars (except for the exposed tabs with the rubber cover) all connections are covered
considering the cost of a quality single busbar (5 or 6 stud) and the need to buy a positive and negative
- the Lynx isn't that much more or actually less ($156)

I had my doubts too, but once I saw what I got I was impressed
I opted for the Power-In vs the LYNX Distributor with built in fuses because I'm going to connect 4 batteries in parallel (each fused class T before the Lynx) I may (probably) will get the LYNX Distributor in the future just because I like the look ? instead of adding separate fuses for SCC, Inverter and additional future SCC

Anyway, the Lynx Power-In does what I need at this time, all in one enclosure
Note:
I haven't wired it in yet. I'm just finishing up top balancing and capacity testing a pair of 24v DIY batteries to add to my bank
Thanks for the input. I will definitely take your feedback and do a cost analysis and relook at the unit. I did like the fact that you could daisy chain them.
Planning on a new split-phase RV/ Currently have a split-phase RV with Growatt inverters and some Victron (battery protect, shunt, DC-DC) and impressed. New RV is all back of the napkin now, but based on Victron and getting away from the Growatt junk. I like easy to view data, support, concise manuals written in English, etc. :)

Lots of $$$ and was trying to avoid the Lynx, but....... At least all that pretty blue will look nice. :)

So the Victron Power In/Distributor busbar is rated for 1000a. Manual says it is 8x30mm tinned copper. This calculator rates a copper busbar at that size for 288a. Who is correct? :eek:
It’s 8mm thick?

All calculators agree so either the dimensions are wrong or Victron is.

Back