diy solar

diy solar

critique my ground-neutral bond plan

ksJoe

I have a EG4 3kw inverter/charge controller. From my reading, it dynamically creates a ground-neutral bond when not receiving power on its AC input (i.e. the grid / generator input). EG4's assumption seems to be that with grid supplied power, the grid supplies the ground-neutral bond, and for all other circumstances, the inverter should supply it. This seems to work well for everything except when a generator is supplying power to the AC input on the inverter...

In my use case, there is no grid power. Never has been, never will be. 99.9% of the time it will be running off solar & batteries, so the dynamic ground-neutral bond will be activated by the inverter. My breaker box will have ground and neutral separated, so while running of solar & batteries the only point of ground-neutral bond will be the one in the inverter, which is ideal. (I say "ideal" because there is exactly 1 bond, as there should be)

The complication is if ever need to connect a generator. As I understand it, then the ground-neutral bond in the inverter will be deactivated.

So, my plan is: on the AC input to the inverter (the grid/generator input, which in my case would only ever be connected to a generator), I intend connect the ground and neutral at the AC input to the inverter. Clearly this would create a loop if connected to grid power. Seems like the simple solution for generator use. That means if I plug in a generator, when the inverter kicks over to use it, the internal ground-neutral bond is deactivated and the bond I created on the AC input cable is the only point of ground-neutral bond. So we maintain exactly 1 bond.

Alternatively, I could easily create a ground-neutral bond within my breaker box, then there would always be at least 1 bond. But that would create a ground loop most of the time. As I understand it, that would be mostly safe, except under some odd maintenance circumstances I don't recall, and the loop would be prone to creating interference.

This is in the US, so its 120v power, but its a rural area with no inspections. (I'd happily let them inspect it, but the governing authority doesn't inspect off-grid electrical) So there are no code compliance concerns for the sake compliance, but I am very interested in having it be safe.

I've done a lot of reading on this forum. I think some would suggest creating the ground loop and say I shouldn't worry about it. Others (the pickier ones) I think would approve of my plan, with a big caveat that it shouldn't be connected to grid power with my bonding of the ground-neutral at the inverter's AC input.

So... did I get that right?

I would think that's fine. You're just creating a ground-neutral bond at the generator. There are commercial plugs you can buy for this, or make your own... or a jumper wire... just depends on your generator.

I have a similar question... I want to disable the bond on the EG4. I will ONLY use it to back feed my whole home, so there will always be a bond in my main panel.

I would think that's fine. You're just creating a ground-neutral bond at the generator. There are commercial plugs you can buy for this, or make your own... or a jumper wire... just depends on your generator.

I have a similar question... I want to disable the bond on the EG4. I will ONLY use it to back feed my whole home, so there will always be a bond in my main panel.
This is what I did on my generator. It had a floating neutral so I bought a DIY NEMA 5-15p and connected a small piece of 12g copper from ground to neutral. Then plug it into one of the generator receptacles and it creates the bonded neutral connection. Can remove and add whenever needed.

Best option would be to disable the neutral/ground bond relay in the inverter. and do the bond in you main panel. Since the neutral and ground are switched any bond you create on the input side will be there all time, even if the inverter thinks it's off grid, and closes it's own netrual bond rely.

I powered it up Saturday. Thanks
IMG_2934.JPG

I cut up and welded an aluminum server rack to make a sem-portable battery & inverter unit. Twistlock plugs connect pv input and AC output.71778876785__817A2264-EBB1-4C60-B5BF-2FC0C0CB9D6C (1).JPG

FYI the newer units have the bond disabled/removed.

Doesn't mention it anywhere in the manual at least the one on the website. If the main panel from utility power is bonded that not going to work when using the inverter.

My breaker box will have ground and neutral separated, so while running of solar & batteries the only point of ground-neutral bond will be the one in the inverter, which is ideal. (I say "ideal" because there is exactly 1 bond, as there should be)
you should remove it if it isn't already removed, and bond it in the panel itself
and then you should bond it on the generator.. even if the generator is tied to the same ground as the panel is.
and then let the inverter switch between them

you should remove it if it isn't already removed, and bond it in the panel itself
and then you should bond it on the generator.. even if the generator is tied to the same ground as the panel is.

So wrong.

Only one N-G bond in any system.

If inverter bonds under inverter power, when adding a generator that feeds thru the inverter (that has dynamic bond) all that needs to be done is bond the generator.

So wrong.

Only one N-G bond in any system.

If inverter bonds under inverter power, when adding a generator that feeds thru the inverter (that has dynamic bond) all that needs to be done is bond the generator.
Yes that is what I said, so before calling someone wrong why not read better?

The inverter auto switches between the neutral/load/ground of the AC in or the battery..

Doesn't mention it anywhere in the manual at least the one on the website. If the main panel from utility power is bonded that not going to work when using the inverter.
If N-G bond is before the inverter and bypass is used, the system will be bonded at the utility power first disconnect.

If the inverter has dynamic bonding and switches N, then N-G bond will be at the inverter.

Yes that is what I said, so before calling someone wrong why not read better?
I can most certainly read quite well.

That isn't what you said. You said to remove the bond in the inverter and bond the main panel. Then bond the generator. Under generator operation, there will be 2 N-G bonds present.

Yes, you were incorrect. Objectionable current will flow on G between the generator and the main panel.

I can most certainly read quite well.

That isn't what you said. You said to remove the bond in the inverter and bond the main panel. Then bond the generator. Under generator operation, there will be 2 N-G bonds present.

Yes, you were incorrect. Objectionable current will flow on G between the generator and the main panel.
Read the link, also learn to edit in posts

Read the link, also learn to edit in posts
I know all about SS and their bonding. It has changed multiple times due to feedback and the experience of members like myself. Many of us spent many hours determining how the Voltronic inverters should be safely bonded. You weren't here at the time, so we could not correct you then, but we sure can accommodate you now. :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps you should read this as the information from that page and the video is now dated and changes have been made. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-6500ex-and-6000ex-flickering-lights-and-firmware.72004/

Perhaps you need to study a few things about bonding before providing incorrect information?

I know all about SS and their bonding. It has changed multiple times due to feedback and the experience of members like myself. Many of us spent many hours determining how the Voltronic inverters should be safely bonded. You weren't here at the time, so we could not correct you then, but we sure can accommodate you now. :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps you should read this as the information from that page and the video is now dated and changes have been made. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-6500ex-and-6000ex-flickering-lights-and-firmware.72004/

Perhaps you need to study a few things about bonding before providing incorrect information?
Naw, I understand where you misread what I said. I'm perfectly fine

Naw, I understand where you misread what I said. I'm perfectly fine
I have you figured out, but I'll let you get by on this major infraction. This time. I corrected you so others inexperienced like yourself are not misled.

I might not be as nice next time. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: JRH
I have you figured out, but I'll let you get by on this major infraction. This time. I corrected you so others inexperienced like yourself are not misled.

I might not be as nice next time. :ROFLMAO:
I've been doing solar ~20 years

Back