diy solar

diy solar

Custom Bus Bars From Copper Flat Bar

I should also say that I'm using NO-OX-ID because it was recommended to me before I heard of MG Chemicals 847. My small jar of NO-OX-ID will last a very long time at the rate I'm using it, so I'm stuck with it. NO-OX-ID is good, but think the MG Chemicals 847 is better. But not better enough for me to toss out what I already have.

Believe it or not, Mobile 1 grease is the exact same thing GE sells for$50+ for a toothpaste sized tube of corrosion inhibiting grease for high voltage switchgear contacts. We used it on utility substations and power plants.

but is it conductive?
Is NO-OX? I dont think it is.

If you want a 25ml jar of 847 if you want to pay for shipping from Montana Ill send it to you. I was all hot for it a while ago but after using it, its miserable stuff. Anything it touches is black. Fingers, cloths, anything. Its conductivity is a lot lower than silver (it is a lot cheaper thought)

Im using this now: https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Condu...refix=silver+conductive+grease,aps,126&sr=8-3

Way higher conductivity and not as messy.

If you want a 25ml jar of 847 if you want to pay for shipping from Montana Ill send it to you. I was all hot for it a while ago but after using it, its miserable stuff. Anything it touches is black. Fingers, cloths, anything. Its conductivity is a lot lower than silver (it is a lot cheaper thought)

Im using this now: https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Conductive-Grease-Temp-70/dp/B0047D3QLG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=6N6UL1JDB43M&keywords=silver+conductive+grease&qid=1663616553&sprefix=silver+conductive+grease,aps,126&sr=8-3

Depends.

NO-OX-ID "A Special" is:

That's what I used. It was no more nasty to use than cold petroleum jelly.

Im using this now: https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Conductive-Grease-Temp-70/dp/B0047D3QLG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=6N6UL1JDB43M&keywords=silver+conductive+grease&qid=1663616553&sprefix=silver+conductive+grease,aps,126&sr=8-3

Here's the spec sheet of that one: https://www.chemtronics.com/content/msds/TDS_CW7100.pdf

Depends.

NO-OX-ID "A Special" is:

That's what I used. It was no more nasty to use than cold petroleum jelly.

The discussion is about anti-corrosion conductive options.

So I just want to set the record straight on this subject.

NO-OX-ID A-Special is not electrically conductive. I just received a 2oz tub and stuck some probes in it about 1/16" apart and the ohm meter did not register anything. The carbon grease will give a value and the silver grease does a lot better than the carbon.

I dont know how they can call it conductive in their advertising. I also have not been able to a spec for conductivity which leads me to believe they are referring to conductivity in a different way and not in that the grease itself is actually conductive.

Not in any worthwhile way nor does it need to be IMHO. If you want truly worthwhile conductive grease you'll have to spring for silver paste.
I agree completely if the surfaces are in good condition. Once they are abraded with sand paper, wire brushes etc they lose a tone of contact area and the conductive pastes restore that to a degree. I also agree that if you are going to spend money on a conductive paste it should be silver.

Countersink, Deburring, & Chamfering Handheld Tool is good to use after drilling holes in copper, alum and plastic. Purchase on Amazon.

they are referring to conductivity in a different way and not in that the grease itself is actually conductive.
I have been using it for twenty years on bus bars in service panels, on breaker connection and most importantly on copper to aluminum bus bar to terminal tops. I don't care if it is conductive. All I care about is that it has prevented those connections from becoming corroded over time.

Silver paste is probably the perfect conductor, but one has to be much more careful when applying it or current could go where not intended. That is my practical perspective.

NO-OX-ID A-Special is not electrically conductive. I just received a 2oz tub and stuck some probes in it about 1/16" apart and the ohm meter did not register anything.
When the lug/busbar is torqued down though the thickness of that layer is going to be extremely thin. Just like tinned copper lugs where tin is actually a really poor conductor of electricity compared to copper but is very thin layer and the prevention of oxidation is also more important.

I have been using it for twenty years on bus bars in service panels, on breaker connection and most importantly on copper to aluminum bus bar to terminal tops. I don't care if it is conductive. All I care about is that it has prevented those connections from becoming corroded over time.
Get with what is apparently the program :) :
The discussion is about anti-corrosion conductive options.

Last edited:
When the lug/busbar is torqued down though the thickness of that layer is going to be extremely thin. Just like tinned copper lugs where tin is actually a really poor conductor of electricity compared to copper but is very thin layer and the prevention of oxidation is also more important.
Im not really sure what the purpose of this reply was but the products like no-ox are entirely excluded from the points that actually make contact. Its not extremely thin. Where the points of contact are, it is entirely excluded. the greases purpose it to fill in the spaces where there is not intimate contact between the two surfaces and prevent atmosphere from entering an promoting corrosion. Again, anyone with half a brain knows that the paste does not have to be conductive to accomplish this task. It just has to be able to fill space and allow the two surfaces to make actual contact where they can.

Again, anyone with half a brain knows that the paste does not have to be conductive to accomplish this task. It just has to be able to fill space and allow the two surfaces to make actual contact where they can.
You really don't need to insult people who hadn't thought of this fact. Even those of us who know sometimes have a brain fart.

You really don't need to insult people who hadn't thought of this fact. Even those of us who know sometimes have a brain fart.
Jesus Christ. Who did I insult? There is a whole bunch up above I could have been insulted by if I was a hyper emotional beta male looking for nothing but positive reinforcement. Instead I pointed out that I was aware of his his point and he would have known that if he had read any of what I had said above.

Anyone with half a brain or more, when presented with the information would say "oh of course, that makes perfect sense". You dont have to organically have had the idea to qualify as being not dumb. I wasnt insulting anyone. I was stating a strong correlation. If you chose to be insulted thats on you.

The internet does not need another nanny.

Back