diy solar

diy solar

DEYE Inverter UL Listed available in US

So I acquired a new DEYE 7.6kw awhile back and will be doing a direct comparison with the Sol-Ark 12k, which is a comparable unit since the Sol-Ark 12k isn't really 12kw on the AC side. It will overload at 7.2 to 7.4KW AC. This is even if the solar/battery side is prducing less than 7.2 KW and the grid is making up the balance. Only 7.2KW AC can be run through the unit. When I first discovered this I thought it was a defective machine until tech support walked me through the fine print. My test will be trying to trip the DEYE and see if it trips at the same load as the Sol-Ark.
If what you are saying is true, wouldn't that mean that the Solark 12K is the same as the Solark 8K?

It has a higher DC capability but the AC output is the same as the Sol-Ark 8k. It has better DC switching as well. I have an install with an 8K and one with a 12k. Both have identical arrays and both perform exactly the same with the same software.

I just got my Solark 12K so I haven't tested the limits yet. I remember seeing something about 9K max on the AC side.
I only have 10K of PV and I have to buy extra insurance if I export over 10K to the grid so I assumed the 9K max would be fine.

I honestly don't know what the 12K is supposed to mean. But I have doubts that the 8K is the same as the 12K

They are not the same but their AC output is. The 12k is now an outdoor model while the 8k is still indoor only. The 8k doesn't have a built in DC breaker. There are a few other differences as well. If you want a good comparison, read the specs on both units.

I just got my Solark 12K so I haven't tested the limits yet. I remember seeing something about 9K max on the AC side.
I only have 10K of PV and I have to buy extra insurance if I export over 10K to the grid so I assumed the 9K max would be fine.

I honestly don't know what the 12K is supposed to mean. But I have doubts that the 8K is the same as the 12K

Sol Ark's comparison chart shows the 8k and 12k are similar, might be that 12k can create 9kW continuous vs. 8kW.
I think it means "almost the same"
What I don't understand is how the chart distinguishes "Inverter AC continuous power" from "Inverter battery continuous power"

I think the higher pass-through can be used for GT inverters.
If it will throttle back its internal DC coupled PV to AC and keep backfeed within its relay current limits, maybe it could support about 9kW of AC coupled PV. Having 9kW AC coupled + 9kW DC coupled would give a very capable off-grid setup plus maxed out 12kW backfeed when grid tied. That would maintain output over some hours of day and seasons.

The 12k will not produce 9k continuous. It will only produce 7.2k continuous. I know this from experience on more than one unit. The continuous includes any pass through voltage from the grid.

The 12k will not produce 9k continuous. It will only produce 7.2k continuous. I know this from experience on more than one unit. The continuous includes any pass through voltage from the grid.

So you're saying you can't even power a 10kW load with 7kW from inverter and 3kW from grid? Like something overheats due to current conducted through relays and other components?

Could the problem be it is trying to supply all the power itself and can't?
If battery is low, how many watts can it just pass through from grid?

Maybe that's what them meant by "Inverter AC continuous power 9kW", should have called it "pass-through continuous power", but your experience was even less.
Maybe "PV continuous power 12kW" is supposed to mean it can charge battery with 4kW while also producing 8kW AC, all from PV.

My Sunny Island lets me program a maximum current draw from grid (10A to 56A, I think). It will produce power by inverting from battery if necessary to stay within that maximum. Otherwise, it normally won't operate inverter while grid is present, just let AC current flow (either direction, if AC coupled PV is present.)

Correct. Short bursts are ok but anything over the 7.2k threshold for a sustained basis will cause the inverter to reset. I have had this happen on three different installs at the same level. I have been through it with tech support at Sol-Ark on more than one occasion. Bottom line is that the unit is poorly named.

All this matter smells fishy to me. From this comparison chart:

Summary:
While the 8K is a great option, we typically recommend the 12K because there isn't a significant difference between the two inverters' prices. For a bit more, you can have 9kW of continuous AC power (instead of 8kW from the Sol-Ark 8K) and the flexibility to stack inverters for higher power output if necessary (unlike the 8K model).

The Solark has a 60A breaker coming from the grid so 7.2K is the max there.
Which makes me think there has to be limits somewhere because there are times that is all you to have work with.

All this matter smells fishy to me. From this comparison chart:

Summary:
While the 8K is a great option, we typically recommend the 12K because there isn't a significant difference between the two inverters' prices. For a bit more, you can have 9kW of continuous AC power (instead of 8kW from the Sol-Ark 8K) and the flexibility to stack inverters for higher power output if necessary (unlike the 8K model).
I'm only going by what my experience has been with the 12k model on three separate installations. The stack-ability of the 12k is accurate.

Last edited:
Sounds like you guys should add a few kW of AC coupled PV. If it goes straight to your A/C, SolArk will ever even know about it.
(Just like my Sunny Island/Sunny Boy setup :) )

Are you using the Smart load?

• Smart Load Mode - Use a programmable output for high-power off grid loads or grid Time-of-use loads - to run only when there is optimum solar - use excess PV power when batteries are full
copied from altE - https://www.altestore.com/store/inv...ark-hybrid-inverter-pre-wired-systems-p41381/

I'm curious if the Smart load will allow use beyond the 7.2K limit
I have one install that uses the Smart Load for car charging on sunny afternoons. It works fine but The limit is the limit. The Sol-Ark will only allow so much AC to go through it continuously. My last install of a Sol-Ark was in June of 2020. So it was with the April 2020 version of the specs which shows 9k as the max output. The older specs from October 2019 shows 8k as the max output. Either one puts out the same. 7.2kw continuous before resetting.

Back