diy solar

diy solar

dies for 8 awg wire?

Yeah 8 is a lot of work compared to 10awg. And 99% of the time absolutely not needed.

With that being said, I used 8AWG wire with 8AWG MC4 connectors with proper 8AWG MC4 crimpers. Solely because I wanted to, it’s way more than my relatively small RV system needs and 10awg would’ve been 100% sufficient.

MC4’s were from Staubli and crimping tools and dies were from Rennsteig (German = $$$).

If you want to do it the correct way for 8AWG you’ll pay 

But I sure do have a unique setup haha

DM me if interested in 8AWG tinned coppYou might wanna rent your tools er PV wire too 

Yeah 8 is a lot of work compared to 10awg. And 99% of the time absolutely not needed.

With that being said, I used 8AWG wire with 8AWG MC4 connectors with proper 8AWG MC4 crimpers. Solely because I wanted to, it’s way more than my relatively small RV system needs and 10awg would’ve been 100% sufficient.

MC4’s were from Staubli and crimping tools and dies were from Rennsteig (German = $$$).

If you want to do it the correct way for 8AWG you’ll pay 

DM me if interested in 8AWG tinned copper PV wire too 

If you want to do it the correct way for 8AWG you’ll pay :)

DM me if interested in 8AWG tinned copper PV wire too ;)
You might wanna offer your tools up for rental in the for sale forum. Charge full replacement price as a deposit, then charge rental fee weekly, out of the deposit and return the balance when tools come back undamaged.

Those lugs are for battery cables, not Amphenol solar connector contacts, and are hexagonal.
I do not see where he mentioned solar connectors.
edit: I should have said Amphenol

Last edited:
My die for regular MC4 connectors isn't hexagonal. Regular being for 10 awg size wire.
The "other" cheaper style crimper dies are a ,for lack of a better term, "w" shaped. They fold the two tabs of the connector over and wrap the wire in the folds. These higher quality contactors need an entirely different die. Compare the contacts in my previous post and these cheap contacts.

MC-4 dies.jpg

MC-4contacts.jpg

Last edited:
Back