diy solar

diy solar

Dilemma

Sejac

If the first thing that is connected in a system is the MPPT Controller and then the panels and then the load i.e. Inverter, etc, etc. Once you connect the Controller enter all the info for your battery type and then connect everything else up, all working fine. If I put a battery disconnect switch in the system to disconnect for periods of time when I am away for a few days, How does one connect it all back so the the controller is first again. In other words just turning the switch back on at a later date will energize the whole system and not the controller first?

There should be disconnects installed on the other connections, as well.

Last edited:
There should be disconnects installed on the other loads, as well.
I understand and there are fuses and disconnects for each component but having one switch which will disconnect the whole system for purposes of safety while away, how does one power it back up if the controller has to be first and entering all the information for the batteries etc, etc isn't logical. Simply turning the kill switch to off when leaving, then having to disconnect the solar panels to the controller, turning the switch back on re-entering the battery date, etc then reconnecting the solar panels, etc, etc makes no sense, there has to be and easier way.

Why does the charge controller have to be connected before other items such as the inverter?

Why do you have to reenter battery data every time?

Shutdown should be: 1 - disconnect PV, 2 - turn off main switch
Startup should be: 1 - make sure PV is still disconnected, 2 - turn on main switch, 3 - reconnect PV

Why does the charge controller have to be connected before other items such as the inverter?

Why do you have to reenter battery data every time?

Shutdown should be: 1 - disconnect PV, 2 - turn off main switch
Startup should be: 1 - make sure PV is still disconnected, 2 - turn on main switch, 3 - reconnect PV
I agree but the manual for my Renogy states that the batteries are to be connected first, the the PV than the load. Doing that in that order everytime I use the kill switch to disconnect for a period of time in this day and age seems illogical. The manual doesn't state the Controller retains the battery info in the event of power lose to the controller. I guess I will have to contact Renogy and see what there reply is.

It's a simple thing to test.
I usually prefer to know for myself, rather than trust what I have been told.

It's a simple thing to test.
I usually prefer to know for myself, rather than trust what I have been told.
Here is Renogy's reply " If you disconnect the battery, we recommend that you follow the instructions to reset the entire system. During the installation of the system, the battery is connected first before the solar panel. When removing the system, the solar panel is removed first and then the battery is removed."
It doesn't state that the controller maintains the battery information I will have to call and talk to them on Monday.

It should always be shut down and started up, in the proper order anyway.
I'm not sure why this would be an issue.

It should always be shut down and started up, in the proper order anyway.
I'm not sure why this would be an issue.
It isn't that it is and issue it is just that in this day and age it should be simpler, having to put disconnect switches between each componet, i.e. PV, Controller, Load and switching them off in order and then switching them back on in order is not that big a deal but until I can ascertain from Renogy whether or not the Controller maintains battery info after initial input, if that has to be reentered every time will be a pain. I am utilizing a Renogy 60A Rover controller.

If you had chosen an AIO, it would be just one switch.
But with separate system components, it is what you need to do.

Back