diy solar

diy solar

Direct solar power - what works well?

ianganderton

Auckland, NZ
Just wondering what use cases for direct solar power work well?

Many applications require a battery to be part of the system so power can be delivered when needed.

What doesn’t require a battery in the system?

I guess battery charging is a good use case for direct solar power.

Heating hot water (either directly using say vacuum tubes or PV) for storage in a tank (a different type of battery!)

What else works well using direct solar power with no battery?

Grid-tied is the obvious one to reduce costs and a hedge against electricity inflation rates (looks like hikes are coming here, so that'll mean a quicker payback period ?).

For years, my wife has been using solar power directly to grow plants, seems to work pretty well and she doesn't use any batteries. ;)
The plants aren't very efficient though, roughly 5.4% (ref). Possibly some new GMO crops will improve this?

Lately, I've been looking at solar cookers, seems like each type has some pros/cons. But what I really want is a solar cooker with a sea-water distillation attachment. <sigh>

Last edited:
Just wondering what use cases for direct solar power work well?

Many applications require a battery to be part of the system so power can be delivered when needed.

What doesn’t require a battery in the system?

I guess battery charging is a good use case for direct solar power.

Heating hot water (either directly using say vacuum tubes or PV) for storage in a tank (a different type of battery!)

I have the same interest in having a no battery system power an air conditioner with a fast pay back on the panel and equipment costs.

I have the same interest in having a no battery system power an air conditioner with a fast pay back on the panel and equipment costs.

What aircon system are you looking at using? Don’t most have a motor so will need a bit of a surge to get stayed? My understanding is that direct solar would struggle to provide that surge

There are a number of well pump installs that work well. The DC well pump pumps at a rate that is roughly proportional to voltage. The controlers usually have a cut in voltage so your not trying to spin the pump at like 3v. SO as the sun comes out it runs up to full pump capacity and it pumps water to a holding tank. If the sun doesn't shine one day, or only partially then no water is moved from the deep well to the holding tank.

More than one person has put loops of black sprinkler tubeing on a metal shed roof to heat pool water.

There are a number of well pump installs that work well. The DC well pump pumps at a rate that is roughly proportional to voltage. The controlers usually have a cut in voltage so your not trying to spin the pump at like 3v. SO as the sun comes out it runs up to full pump capacity and it pumps water to a holding tank. If the sun doesn't shine one day, or only partially then no water is moved from the deep well to the holding tank.

Pumping water is a good example of the slow steady process that suits direct solar.

How ever I’ve always wondered how the solar power over comes the start up surge typically needed to create enough torque to get the pump started. Do they have a small battery to overcome this similar to a car started battery?

Grid-tied is the obvious one to reduce costs and a hedge against electricity inflation rates (looks like hikes are coming here, so that'll mean a quicker payback period ?).

For years, my wife has been using solar power directly to grow plants, seems to work pretty well and she doesn't use any batteries. ;)
The plants are very efficient though, roughly 5.4% (ref). Possibly some new GMO crops will improve this?

Lately, I've been looking at solar cookers, seems like each type has some pros/cons. But what I really want is a solar cooker with a sea-water distillation attachment. <sigh>

Ohhhhh I like the look of that Haines cooker!

We used to have a fishing cabin on an island in the Gulf. It had a beer keg enclosed in plexiglass next to the roof. We filled it by opening a valve from barrels that were fed from rainwater gutters. The keg was connected to the hot knob on the shower and the water got hotter than hot water at home. Nice after a day of fishing and pushing up shrimp. We were hoping Mary Ann and Ginger would show up but they never did.

I run a washing machine off PV panels with no battery. The washer has its own hot water tank heated by PV also. I run all cycles with hot water regardless of what those people say on TV that cold water is just as good.

Back