diy solar

diy solar

Do Tigo TS4-A-O optimisers actually work?

SenileOldGit

Solar Enthusiast
I have been looking into Tigo TS4-A-0 optimisers, because during the Winter months my 12kW array has a lot of shadows as two of my neighbours to the South of my garden each have two huge trees in their gardens, two of which are evergreens, so there is a lot of shade across my panels in December and January. I am trying to find a simple thing: somebody who originally didn't have any optimisers on their sometimes shaded array, but who then bought Tigo optimisers and put them on, and measured the difference. That's it - a before and after. But I can't find anything on the internet.

You might get a better or applicable answer if you describe how your array is configure. I’m guess not all in series. Big array, to a single MPPT?

I have two 6kW arrays, with two 5kW inverters. Not really relevant - I'm looking for ANY scientific test that shows that Tigo optimisers work. (Or indeed, any optimisers.) Since I haven't found one yet, I presume they don't actually work.

It allows the unshaded panels to continue to produce full output without taking down the whole string, but I just saw the other day there is a 25% limit on what they can do before they also start limiting output.

If a single panel is shaded enough, It's built-in bypass diodes do the same thing as an optimizer. The optimizer just has the ability to help in lower amounts of shading. It's a variable bypass. (In the simplest terms)

Last edited:
It allows the unshaded panels to continue to produce full output without taking down the whole string, but I just saw the other day there is a 25% limit on what they can do before they also start limiting output.
Do you mean "without the shaded panels taking down the whole string", since I presume unshaded panels are not going to "take down a whole string"? Bypass diodes mean that no panels are going to take down a whole string...

Last edited:
That's what they all say but in practice I am not really seeing that happen with my panels. A shadow kills the string fairly quickly.
What sort of panels do you have, how many in a string, and what sort of inverters? A shadow should not kill your string, we aren't living in the dark ages any more, all solar panels have bypass diodes now...

Back to my question - is there not a single video proving that any optimisers actually work?

If a single panel is shaded enough. It's built-in bypass diodes do the same thing as an optimizer. The optimizer just has the ability to help in lower amounts of shading. It's a variable bypass. (In the simplest terms)
Hi Tim, you should change that first full stop to a comma, it makes the meaning of what you said completely different, as it is...

That's what they all say but in practice I am not really seeing that happen with my panels. A shadow kills the string fairly quickly.
You might have some bad bypass diodes.
This time of year, I get a lot of shading.
Mine are working as expected.
My MPPT adjusts on the fly, very quickly.

I have 6S2P on a single MPPT. The 6 panels near the ridge dominate the lower 6. IMO the optimizers don't help parallel strings. TIGO describes the 25% rule in terms of different number of panels in parallel strings, but the same happens when the panels are shaded.

I need to make a case with my installer and have them run additional wires to an unused MPPT.

Edit; B1 to B6 parallel with B7 to B12 This is a snapshot of power.
TIGOpwr011424.png

Last edited:
I would look into that. I have 1 panel that is shaded by an eave of my roof for 85% of the day. Its the only panel that outputs almost nothing, while the other 10 in the series string (11s total) are perfect.

The optimizer definitely works for me.

I would look into that. I have 1 panel that is shaded by an eave of my roof for 85% of the day. Its the only panel that outputs almost nothing, while the other 10 in the series string (11s total) are perfect.

The optimizer definitely works for me.
I suspect some people are fighting with Tigo’s with the firmware issue that apparently can only be resolved if you connect them with a TAP and CCA.

I am talking about four different types of panels without any optimizers, I personally am not seeing the value of bypass diodes but I don't know why and I haven't really looked into it.

I am talking about four different types of panels without any optimizers, I personally am not seeing the value of bypass diodes but I don't know why and I haven't really looked into it.
This video is the best I’ve found so far on the positives and negatives of optimizers and how they work. Very good overview -

Back