diy solar

diy solar

Dongguan Lighting: Purchase 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review

Ordered 34 of these bad boys from Dongguan Lighting on 2020-02-24.
Delivered to my door, in Portugal, on 2020-04-02.

The bad:
I was very unimpressed with their physical appearance. 7 had minor external damage, and almost all arrived "dirty".
Rain Zeng said that it had to be damage from the transportation. Thought that doesn't explain their "dirt".
Cells straight out of the box:
LFP280Ah_Damage.jpg

The good:
I've been running them for 1 month, in a 16S2P configuration, and they are performing very, very well.
I had some initial trouble due to poor tightening of the busbars (my fault), but ever since I've been able to squeeze 28kWh in and out of them.
I coupled them with the tremendously expansive Batrium but the amount of configuration it allows and the seamless integration it has with my Victron ecosystems made it worth every penny.
Am considering expanding to 64 cells, therefore buying another 32, probably from Dongguan Lighting, if they can assure me a (much) batter packaging.

Project presentation here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/flux-capacitor-is-live.7869/

Attachments

• SoC 1 month.png
    SoC 1 month.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Batrium 2020-06-04.png
    Batrium 2020-06-04.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 22
I purchased my first 8 cells from Dongguan after Rui did, end of April. I have just received them now, after "only" 30-ish days of transit. I also live in Portugal. I'm impressed with the packaging Rain did, maybe he learned from Rui's feedback - mine arrived safe and sound and perfect to the naked eye. I didn't test them yet, only measured voltage, all near 3.34V.
Will post later, but I don't have reason so far to believe they will not rise to expectation.

Today my batteries arrived.
16 X 280Ah

I've ordered and paid them 21-05.
Today 06-06, about 17 days.
Transport took "long" (normally 5-8 days) now 13 days.

Post Corona delays ..

Some pictures

IMG_20200606_190822_copy_750x1000.jpgIMG_20200606_190911_copy_750x562.jpgIMG_20200606_191107_copy_750x562.jpgIMG_20200606_190940_copy_750x562.jpgIMG_20200606_191004_copy_750x562.jpg
IMG_20200606_191017_copy_750x562.jpgIMG_20200606_191355_copy_750x562.jpgIMG_20200606_191547_copy_750x1000.jpgIMG_20200606_191348_copy_750x1000.jpg

Batteries look good.
I like the protection on the terminators.

No protective corners, the boxes look like they could have used it, pretty banged up.

Voltage all at 3.30, just to be sure I hooked them together as one massive 4480A @3.30 volt.

Tomorrow I can check the size of my molds for pouring copper, if my measurements where correct.

After this, melting copper and making setup! :)

I payed under 75 USD + 17.50 for DDP to Thailand.

So far, so good ?

As far as I know, same company.
If not, good copy cat :)

And should make new thread for this seller.

But that's a lot of different sellers if we do them all.

Anyway, look like the same factory, same as the others, the batteries.
For busbars, I can't remember seeing pictures from other buyers.

The white foam was so thick, they could have dropped it from 3 meters without getting into trouble / possible damage.

Outside carton just got banged up.

The white foam was so thick, they could have dropped it from 3 meters without getting into trouble / possible damage.

I asked because packaging was different from Lighting.

I saw this seller too and am talking to them.
Still seems like the eve product. pricing is same, but shipping it alot cheaper.

I saw this seller too and am talking to them.
Still seems like the eve product. pricing is same, but shipping it alot cheaper.

The shipping tends to be a bit slower than Xuba, that's probably why. I ordered the same cells as another member here the same day (28.4.). I ordered from Dongguan, he ordered from Xuba. We're both in Europe, both got rail/boat slow shipping, DDP. His cells arrived Friday (37 days after his order). My Dongguan ones don't even register their DPD tracking number as of today (41 days and counting). This means they either haven't reached Europe/haven't cleared customs. ?

Xuba also provides the tracking number and such beforehand. With Dongguan I had to repeatedly contact Tim Yau before he sent it to me. It took him 2-3 weeks to get me the number. You get what you pay for in this respect: Extra $40 = better and friendlier service, quicker response via chat, quicker shipping from Xuba.

Last edited:
The shipping tends to be a bit slower than Xuba, that's probably why. I ordered the same cells as another member here the same day (28.4.). I ordered from Dongguan, he ordered from Xuba. We're both in Europe, both got rail/boat slow shipping, DDP. His cells arrived Friday (37 days after his order). My Dongguan ones don't even register their DPD tracking number as of today (41 days and counting). This means they either haven't reached Europe/haven't cleared customs. ?

Xuba also provides the tracking number and such beforehand. With Dongguan I had to repeatedly contact Tim Yau before he sent it to me. It took him 2-3 weeks to get me the number. You get what you pay for in this respect: Extra $40 = better and friendlier service, quicker response via chat, quicker shipping from Xuba.

Thats good feedback!

In my case, They are $8 a cell cheap, plus $40 shipping. so thats $100 USD for 8 cells. Which is pretty significant. So I guess is Billion we go...

The shipping tends to be a bit slower than Xuba, that's probably why. I ordered the same cells as another member here the same day (28.4.). I ordered from Dongguan, he ordered from Xuba. We're both in Europe, both got rail/boat slow shipping, DDP. His cells arrived Friday (37 days after his order). My Dongguan ones don't even register their DPD tracking number as of today (41 days and counting)....
Hey I don't think you can conflate rail/boat as one thing since one goes through Russia which has considerable lockdown controls in place right now not to mention there's only 1 rail so it's totally FIFO operation and surely there's lots of backlog post Wuhan flu, whereas shipping by sea is a parallel operation (lots of space for lots of boats).
Too many variables I think to pin it on 1 company being more efficient than another. If the shipping method were identical then you may have a point there...

I think they may be different companies, just both are located in "Dongguan."
I have absolutely nothing to base that on though haha...

I order 8 cells today.
Delivered to Australia by sea was $815 us

Hope that helps

Hey I don't think you can conflate rail/boat as one thing since one goes through Russia which has considerable lockdown controls in place right now not to mention there's only 1 rail so it's totally FIFO operation and surely there's lots of backlog post Wuhan flu, whereas shipping by sea is a parallel operation (lots of space for lots of boats).
Too many variables I think to pin it on 1 company being more efficient than another. If the shipping method were identical then you may have a point there...

You're right, I checked with him and his did arrive by sea. Hope it at least arrives this month at this point now that I think about this.

So how odd is this? @Sgt Raven got me thinking about my attachment to the PS so I made my own set of cables with what I had laying around. I put these on my PS and the amperage went down to literally 0.053a? They meter just fine. View attachment 10832

So much great information here that I almost hate to ask this... where did you get the box? I've tried to find it by what I can read off the label without any luck. I also would be curious if you could tell me the dimensions of the exterior base as I have a location that I intend to install my cells but that wouldn't be a common dimension given in the advertising...

Thanks for any help!
John

Attachments

• IMG_8431.JPG
    IMG_8431.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 30
Yes, I remember that discussion and since this is about the same subject I will respond in that thread here.

I am not the thread police but I have seen comments that the moderators would prefer long threads not be cluttered up with irrelevant comments. The topic of this thread is Donguan Lighting 280Ahr cells. Since the cells you want to talk about are 120 and 150 Ahr cells I am not going to clutter up this thread.

Back