diy solar

diy solar

EAsun MLV 3KW-U hybrid off grid solar inverter 1st week review and updated for 1 year of usage.

With your EAsun / SRNE, is it possible to charge the batteries when the inverter button is OFF and it is powered only from the PV?

For me it didn't work during my first tests, maybe there wasn't enough power to start a charge. However, the screen was on.

I know that on Voltronic inverters it is possible to use only the SCC MPPT part with the inverter OFF.
Have not tried this*. I actually see no point to it. The unit consumes power and I simply accept it and incorporate that in my overall strategy.

Voltronic Victron inverters at a much higher entry price point are really not germane when reviewing the EAsun. For one they are not a AIO (unless you talk about their multiplus units which are inverter chargers but lack the SCC and costs almost a $1K more to buy than the EAsun) nor do they offer the same features such as an on unit display and settings access. Victron wants you to buy additional items to use the item you buy. Plus for those in the US they offer much less models that output our voltage needs.

* Tried this 1/20/23 I can confirm that my spare EAsun I-solar 3kw unit charges with the inverter switch in the off position.

Last edited:
I think you mean Victron (and not Voltronic) in your previous post?

Yes Victron is more expensive and can be a little better designed but requires installing more components and I don't find it simple either. Everything is a story of calculation / profitability, will an EAsun last the same time as a Victron? I don't know, time will tell...

I think you mean Victron (and not Voltronic) in your previous post?

Yes Victron is more expensive and can be a little better designed but requires installing more components and I don't find it simple either. Everything is a story of calculation / profitability, will an EAsun last the same time as a Victron? I don't know, time will tell...
Correct.

How long these Chinese AIO's will last is a interesting question. Since it can be dependent on how they are treated (not heavily loaded, properly wired and operated) and factors such as inherent flaws from the cheaply sourced components it is simply going to take time to find out.

Like many things though if it does turn out to be a long lasting and a worthwhile thing it likely will no longer be available when it does eventually fail. That is why I bought a spare.

I have found though if something I own lasts for a while it generally lasts for a long time. Machines like me.

1/21/23 Bit tight of an area to get pictures of my latest setup arrangement but I thought I would add a few to my post with the latest setup with a meter on AC out and also a din rail timer to operate a 3amp battery charger. The flash of the camera hides the timer but it is to the left of the breakers in the distribution box.
P1010002.JPG
P1010001.JPGP1010003.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a summary (my memo) of the important voltage parameters.

Parameters for 48V EAsun SMX II 5.6kW, this corresponds to your parameter numbers ?

Capture d’écran du 2023-01-17 20-31-15.png

To set the same value for parameter 04 and 14, you must set parameter 14 greater than the desired value for 04.
Next, set parameter 04 and then set the value of parameter 14 to the same value as 04.

Summary of consumption tests, measured with two different multimeters displaying the same intensity values
Capture d’écran du 2023-01-17 20-42-12.png

ECO mode operation
  • Load <= 25W the inverter switches to ECO mode after 5 minutes (0V)
  • Every 30sec it sends a signal to detect a load > 25W
  • If a load > 25W is connected it restarts when the signal is sent (every 30s)
  • Test with a 25W load => it switch to ECO mode
  • Test with a load of 40W => it restarts to NORMAL mode

Last edited:
@Mattb4

I like your little memo stuck next to your AIO to calculate the battery SoC.

I just made the same table yesterday based on the black "no load" curve of my cells (EVE LF280K) because I find that the BMS is not very precise.
1674393871189.png

My chart is slightly different from yours.

I integrated this table in an app to get the SoC easily from my PC or Telegram.
Please note that this voltage-based SoC calculation is only valid when there is no or very little load.

My panels have been covered in snow for two days. :cry:

BMS SoC
1674393617890.png
SoC based on the table above ( via my Telegram bot )

Screenshot_20230122_142341_Telegram.jpg

The calculation of the SoC when the battery is charging or discharging is different, see the other curves in the graph below.

LF280 AH battery dischg 0.1C-1.0C.png

Last edited:
I have not used a generator as an AC input source. Might arrange a test sometime.

Reactions: mib
it will be very interesting and important for me, now I often use the generator to charge my batteries

my srne inverter will only arrive next month

but I have been using mppt srne ml2440 with bluetooth for a long time, I am satisfied everything works fine

Had a big snow storm yesterday that came close to me losing grid power (had several momentary outages) and forcing a test run with a generator. Luckily the grid is still up so I do not have to go out and muck around with setting up and running my Honda inverter gen set. I have a whole house manual transfer switch at the utility company pole that I can use when needed to connect in the emergency generator.

Ooops! Spoke too soon. Grid power went out as I was taking a shower. Only realized it because the water pressure keep dropping because the water pump was out. My bathroom lights are on the AIO AC output so they stayed on. If this power outage persists for any length of time I will be testing the generator operating the AIO in a few hours.

Last edited:
I also have no electricity now, we are sitting on the battery, rolling blackouts 4 hours yes 4 no

if the generator does not work, then with another UPS, turning on the incandescent lamp helps me, parallel to the input to the UPS

sorry for my google translate

I am now running off the gen set. It is only 2800w so I have to be careful of all that is placed on it. The EAsun AIO works just fine with it. Voltage in is 123vAC and 59.9hz. I can charge OK from this if I watch the amperage (I tested with 5a*). Not sure when I will get power back and I have virtually no PV input due to the weather. I did go out and clean the snow off the panels. Still have about 60% battery capacity so there is no real need to run my generator but it is a interesting test.

Because it is an inverter generator it does have a clean output. A different gen set might produce different results.

* Upped to 15a during grid outage to gain some battery power while I am running my generator.

Last edited:
I also have no electricity now, we are sitting on the battery, rolling blackouts 4 hours yes 4 no

if the generator does not work, then with another UPS, turning on the incandescent lamp helps me, parallel to the input to the UPS

sorry for my google translate
No problem with the translation.

It is one thing to play with seeing how and if things will work like I am doing and being forced to rely on whatever you can muster in a war torn country. You folks have many lessons to teach the rest of us on basic surviving.

1/26. Power remains out at my home. Seems there was more damage from the snow storm (10 inches at my house) than was immediately apparent. Had to make my coffee this morning from my AIO setup. One thing I note that there is quite a battery voltage drop when running heavy loads on the inverter like the coffee maker. It went from 25.8v (low draw of about 70w) down to 24.7v at 1,000w loading. Soon as it gets light outside I will be out and get my generator running again to get some charging. I ran it yesterday for 6 hours until about 5pm. No issues with how the EAsun accepted the power and charged the batteries. Unfortunately only up to about 80% for the day.

Supposed to get some sun today so that will help. One thing for sure it is nice to have some power from PV/battery when the grid is gone. Lights and TV plus computer gives me something to pass time with. I feel sorry for my neighbors that are struggling without.

Due to freezing last night (20F this morning as I type) I had to dig out a propane heater for my well house to keep things from being damaged. As is so often the case when you do not use something for years the durn thing refused to operate and I had to tear down to find the issue. Turned out to be a small spider had climbed into the propane line and died blocking the gas orifice. My home has a wood stove to maintain heat so no problems that way.

The news this morning seemed to indicate that for some of us without grid power it could be several days yet until it comes back. It will certainly give me experience in what about my PV system works and what does not.

what capacity are your solar panels now?
it was 6*100 but wanted to add

I look at the characteristics and want in the future 2s2p with a power of 595 watts each, it will turn out 70 volts 34 amperes, which is invested in 30-90 volts and 40 amperes AIO, but the instruction writes 1600 watts maximum, I can’t understand why

My capacity of PV is now 1600w with 1200w in a 12-100w panels (3S-4P) to the EAsun MPPT and 2-200w in series to a 30a MSB MPPT and than to my battery bank of 3P 80ah batteries. My AIO is listed for 1440w PV at 100Voc max but it struggles with the 1200w so I did not wish to overload it. Ratings on a lot of these things are overstated and I find it is best to operate much less than rated.

1440 watts, as I understand from the instructions, this is what can go to charge the battery, multiply 24 volts by 60 amperes, we get 1440 watts

in the same instructions it says that the maximum power of solar panels can be 1600 watts

but in the same place, the instructions say that the voltage of the solar panels is 30-95 maximum 100 volts and the current from the solar panels is a maximum of 40 amperes, if you take my solar panels 595 watts with characteristics of 34.5 volts, 17.25 amperes according to the 2s2p scheme, you get 69 volts and 34.5 amps, which fits into the specifications

I think that there can be 2380 watts of solar panels at the input, this does not exceed the specifications, but the maximum use will be 1600 watts per load or 1440 watts per battery charge

so far I have only 2 solar panels of 595 watts each, but I want to buy two more, if I can’t connect to the inverter, then I’ll connect it to the mppt controller, though my new battery will be only 140 amps, I’ll have to lower the charging current in the inverter to minimum

I hope you understand something :)

I would be reluctant to over panel this unit MIB. it really is not built to handle it.

Nice sunny morning and the PV is beginning to produce. Taking advantage of it to turn off the generator and conserve precious gas. I had to run a extension cord to my refrigerator from my bathroom where I have the AIO wired to as a critical load. One thing iI need to do is put some more circuits onto the AIO for emergency use like this.

Edit Noon: Ran 2-25ft extension cords to the microwave (900w rated) and was able to use it to heat up my lunch with 3 minutes of run time (2min followed by 1min). Observed loading was 1400w from microwave above the base load of around 190w, therefore ~1600w load. Some loss likely due to 14awg extension cord. The inverter carried it OK even though PV was reduced due to heavy haze. Aprox PV production was only 150w.

Last edited:
I'm real hesitant to overpanel or anything on the amperage of my equipment. Because I don't want it to burn out.

That said when it's cloudy I overpanel the hell out of my equipment because I'm monitoring the actual voltage Watts amps that I'm getting. And if the Sun starts coming out I disconnect those extra panels. Kind of a pain in the butt but a little bit of extra work is cheaper than replacing a burnt out component in many ways

Yes an extra mppt controller is fairly inexpensive. Add in additional wiring to get from the panels to the mppt controller to the battery it starts adding up to more

Back