diy solar

diy solar

EG 6500 low frequency vs high frequency

Skinny76

I'm currently looking at the two EG4 6500 AIO inverters and I'm trying to decide which one. The 6000 EX-48HV low frequency version seems like the better of the two, but much heavier and higher idle consumption. It has a 6,000 watt rating with 7,500 solar input capacity. The 6500 EX-48 high frequency has 6,500 watt output rating with 8,000 solar input capacity. Both have a 500 volt VOC input. The low frequency also has split phase capability, but the HF doesn't. I'm seeing both LF and HF as the same price. Is there any reason I would not want the LF? I'm OK with the the weight and slightly higher idle consumption. The input/output isnt enough to affect me for what im doing. Is there something else I should be considering?

I'll have 3x280ah 48 volt batteries connected.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Will you have any heavy surge loads? Well pumps, compressors, saws, etc? I'd lean LF if so, otherwise stack the HF and have double the PV input...
Be sure to use the search and read about issues others are having with both models and don't forget to look at the sibling 6048 and 6548 models...

Will you have any heavy surge loads? Well pumps, compressors, saws, etc? I'd lean LF if so, otherwise stack the HF and have double the PV input...
Be sure to use the search and read about issues others are having with both models and don't forget to look at the sibling 6048 and 6548 models...
The only heavy surge I will have will be an air conditioner. My 3,000 Growatt has handled it except when not used for a while. Seems after a couple of days of non-use, it needs more kick to start. It is a 13,500 BTU rooftop RV style A/C with a soft start. I guess my main interest is the split phase option being there. I have read some issues on programming and other software struggles but seems a solution was always found. I have more solar than my Growatt can use and I would like these larger AIO unit to utilize my potential. I do appreciate all feedback for sure. Good discussion.

I've been running my house off a TP6048 for months.
The only heavy surge I will have will be an air conditioner. My 3,000 Growatt has handled it except when not used for a while. Seems after a couple of days of non-use, it needs more kick to start. It is a 13,500 BTU rooftop RV style A/C with a soft start. I guess my main interest is the split phase option being there. I have read some issues on programming and other software struggles but seems a solution was always found. I have more solar than my Growatt can use and I would like these larger AIO unit to utilize my potential. I do appreciate all feedback for sure. Good discussion.
I've been running my house off a TP6048 for months. Idle consumption is bad, about half of my nighttime load... No other major complaints besides lights flickering when the washer agitates.
If you you primarily use 120v you could always go with 2 6548s and only use the 2nd when needed. That would help keep idle consumption down while still giving you 240v with a few setting changes when needed.

Just went back and saw where signature solar told what the problem was. That seems easy enough to correct.

To be clear I'm 100% sure there are some bulb/dimmer combos that are not usable. But this has been a known thing before HF AIOs. Some LEDs/Dimmers don't work with generators either.

Back