diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 18K generator start options

bryanmccoy57

This may have ready been addressed. For an off grid system, I am wondering if the 18K can be programmed to start a small generator (that is not connected to the 18K gen input terminals) when system batteries' SOC falls below a certain level? Reasoning being is to have such a generator powering an independent chargeverter that would backup charge the18K's powerwall batteries when needed without dirty power issues at the 18K's regular gen input.

I believe that you are referring to the 18kpv?
If so, it should have a set of dry contacts to start a generator.

I am wondering if the 18K can be programmed to start a small generator (that is not connected to the 18K gen input terminals) when system batteries' SOC falls below a certain level?
Yes and no. Yes, the 18kpv can start a generator. No, in that most "small" generators do not support two wire start. Some mid to larger size generators have remote start, but that is not the same as unattended two wire start. With true two wire start, the startup circuit has to be able to handle extended cranking (don't burn out the starter), failure to start, warmup, cool down, stopping, etc.

Ok thanks. I have a Honda EU7000 modified with a 2wire start circuit. My only concern was how the 18K would react with sending out a generator start signal but not having the generator attached to the "gen" input terminals.

Back