diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

For a whole home backup with feeder tap, does the Neutral from the 18kPV terminate at the manual transfer switch? 1709747792665.png

I can run the 18 without battery, right?

I need to turn off all my batteries and comm hub to update firmware. I am on whole house backup and want to make sure the 18 won't shutdown without batteries.

I can run the 18 without battery, right?

I need to turn off all my batteries and comm hub to update firmware. I am on whole house backup and want to make sure the 18 won't shutdown without batteries.

You will have to change the settings to No Batteries for this to be achieved.

Interesting, I am currently using RS485 but now I am wondering if I should move to CAN...

Shout out to Markus he has been an invaluable resource to the community.
In case anyone comes across this later Markus let me know that CAN is the way to go. I changed to it and now I get much faster and more consistent refresh data from monitor.eg4electronics.com page. I read somewhere that the Wifi adaptor is on the RS485 bus? If that is true it would make sense that it would be better to say nothing of the CAN vs RS485 protocol differences. I can also update my 18K PV status form the phone app. Before I would often have to force quit the app and reopen to update the status.

Last edited:
In case anyone comes across this later Markus let me know that CAN is the way to go. I changed to it and now I get much faster and more consistent refresh data from monitor.eg4electronics.com page. I read somewhere that the Wifi adaptor is on the RS485 bus? If that is true it would make sense that it would be better to say nothing of the CAN vs RS485 protocol differences.
How did you do this? Did you set the incorrect setting on the RS485 settings page, and the correct on the CAN?

How did you do this? Did you set the incorrect setting on the RS485 settings page, and the correct on the CAN?
I have the EG4 LL V2 batteries and they have two separate ports one for RS485 and one for CAN. On the 18K PV it accepts either from same input. In my case when I made my cable I had terminated pins 1 2 4 and 5 ( page 14) so all I had to do was move my cable over to the CAN port on the battery ( page 8 ) and program it for LUX under the CAN settings so now I have both CAN and RS485 set for LUX. The closed loop worked with RS485 but is much faster with CAN.

Last edited:
Which is why you flick the circuit breaker off whilst doing the update, but leave the others on.
So the process for upgrading the batteries in a (CANbus) connected system is:

Turn off the BMS using the switch on the left side
Turn off the battery breaker on the right side
Open the address switch cover and set the address to 'firmware update' (64?)
Disconnect any/all CANbus cables (*)
Connect RS485 firmware upgrade cable
power on the BMS
Use Windows machine to upgrade the firmware.
Power off the BMS
Disconnect RS485 firmware upgrade cable
reconnect CANbus cable(s)
put the address switches back to the original configuration and replace the cover.
Power up the BMS
Turn on the breaker.

Rinse, Lather, Repeat for all batteries.

(*) Do you have to disconnect the CANbus in order to do the firmware update? Does breaking the chain of CANbus communications between the inverter and some or all of the rest of the batteries cause any problems? If using the system in off-grid mode, will the inverter continue to support the loads even when it can't talk to the batteries?

Does anyone know how you can change the voltage settings for charging on the communication hub? Or is that fixed for the eg4 protocol to whatever settings or gives you out of the box?

Does anyone know how you can change the voltage settings for charging on the communication hub? Or is that fixed for the eg4 protocol to whatever settings or gives you out of the box?
Press and hold enter.

Gets you to settings.

Press down to the 3rd screen.

Set voltage.

Press and hold enter.

Gets you to settings.

Press down to the 3rd screen.

Set voltage.
Hm, last time I was at my cabin and tried to do this, it didn't seem that the voltage option there was editable... do you just select it and hit enter to change it? 🤔

I think enter to change it. Might be a firmware level thing. I just did this last night on 1.10 firmware

Back