diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

I can see the user error part and how nice having the ability to remote in can help immensely in solving trivial issues.
Looking back on my younger days when I fixed / serviced computers on the side being able to login remotely saved me hours and miles, heck I still frequently use teams at work to see what the operator is seeing and show them how to do things in various programs from excel to SAP.
I can also see how it would be incredibly frustrating if something were changed without the end users acknowledgement, kinda liked those forced corporate IT updates that force restart my PC the first time I login Monday morning before my coffee.

I am curious how the remote viewing works... @Luxpower_Gilbert am I correct to assume with the dongle serial number you are able to see all settings for an inverter? You don't change the settings without the customers approval, even though you could?

Yes the time is correct on the inverter and yes the timed charge I had setup did work fine before the firmware update.
I looked around the unit menu's, but don't see any other time settings. I just have not got around to checking on the monitor website yet...weekend and all that.

I can see the user error part and how nice having the ability to remote in can help immensely in solving trivial issues.
Looking back on my younger days when I fixed / serviced computers on the side being able to login remotely saved me hours and miles, heck I still frequently use teams at work to see what the operator is seeing and show them how to do things in various programs from excel to SAP.
I can also see how it would be incredibly frustrating if something were changed without the end users acknowledgement, kinda liked those forced corporate IT updates that force restart my PC the first time I login Monday morning before my coffee.

I am curious how the remote viewing works... @Luxpower_Gilbert am I correct to assume with the dongle serial number you are able to see all settings for an inverter? You don't change the settings without the customers approval, even though you could?
I've helped couple of owners of 18Kpv, LXP-12K, and 12 GSL, I gave them my personal number, so i can real time remotely when I'm looking at their setting, I always asked permission before changing their setting even do i could but I'm not like that.

The reason why I asked people to see their settings because I don’t guess what to tell them i have to compare their settings then i tell them why isn’t working, either i asked permission to correct it or i can tell them how to correct it. Then this is up to the person if he want to share here how the problem solve… I’ve encountered users putting the wrong GMT time during registrations thats why timers don’t react with the inverter settings.

Also I already typed down what mostly need to check. This is up to the user if they still want my help.
I am one of the "beta testers" so want to figure out the wrong setting or present a full bug report.
I don't know who Gilbert is, so no info sent.

Yes the time is correct on the inverter and yes the timed charge I had setup did work fine before the firmware update.
I looked around the unit menu's, but don't see any other time settings. I just have not got around to checking on the monitor website yet...weekend and all that.
If GMT is correct, next is to make sure any features that have a time setting must not overlap with others except AC Charge and Charge First (pv).

This seems to be the standard operating procedure for these units.
The benefits of a diy system is that you have the independence and freedom. If I were to have a problem. I would rather have support help ME fix it. So that I now have more knowledge about my system.
If I had to have someone else fix it for me. I wouldn't call it diy friendly.
It would go a long way if someone remotely fixes something to explain exactly what was done and how end-user can do same thing.

It's also not clear to me why a lot of these can't simply be explained how and where end-user can check something themselves. This time thing is perfect example. Why can't someone post "Click X -> Click Y -> Click Z" and see what the value is for X. If there are two locations that could be set wrong then explain exactly where to check both locations.

It would go a long way if someone remotely fixes something to explain exactly what was done and how end-user can do same thing.

It's also not clear to me why a lot of these can't simply be explained how and where end-user can check something themselves. This time thing is perfect example. Why can't someone post "Click X -> Click Y -> Click Z" and see what the value is for X. If there are two locations that could be set wrong then explain exactly where to check both locations.
I don't get it, either.
Maybe the settings on these units are way more complicated than we think. Maybe it's impossible to explain easily.

Good points to make.
I believe either EG4's team or our team (like Gilbert) will always adhere to one principle: asking the inverter owner about their preferences and seeking permission before making any changes to the settings. This approach is consistent with what I know about other inverters, which also follow a similar process.
The second principle is to explain to the user what changes have been made and to ensure that the current settings meet their expectations. This is a simple and fundamental aspect of our service.

In fact, LXP inverters retain a lot of customizable settings, allowing users to adjust them as needed. Comparatively, I have also been using a couple of other inverter/system apps recently, and I believe that we provide the most flexibility for users and installers to operate. However, it's important to note that, for the general user community, this product still relies on the technical assistance of experienced and trained individuals. Another reason, of course, is that we need a lot of improvements to make the product easier to operate and smarter in order to meet various usage scenarios.
But whatever it takes, our primary goal is to resolve any issues and ensure satisfactory performance for each user who spent on the EG4/LXP products. If some users are really interested in learning why and how certain changes were made, I believe both the EG4 team and our team members are more than willing to share that knowledge.

Also, a good point about remote assistance to share:
In the last whole week, I've been visiting some installers who are promoting n installing LXP systems for the users, as well as many on-site systems with the installers. (even though we don't actually sell products to them directly). Most of them are using their installer account to keep watching all the systems (status) they have installed, especially the systems showing "error" or "notice" status. That's really a responsible attitude to serve users, we really appreciated that. I also spent some time taking an overview of all online EG4-18Kpv inverters' status, very few with "error", or recent "notice", which made me believe that EG4 team is also making hard efforts to provide proactive and attentive service. But please share with us if you feel neglected or not well taken care of tho. Thx

I've helped couple of owners of 18Kpv, LXP-12K, and 12 GSL, I gave them my personal number, so i can real time remotely when I'm looking at their setting, I always asked permission before changing their setting even do i could but I'm not like that.
This was wildly helpful to me in getting mine setup. Gave Gilbert my info, he logged in, told me what he was changing and why, after asking me what I was trying to get the inverter to do. THEN, he double checked things the next couple of days and texted me if something was off. In one case he found a setting for exporting I'd accidentally changed. Not trying to give Gilbert more work, but hit him up - he's fantastic.

So as far as I can see, all time settings are correct both on inverter and web control panel.
I have a time setup to charge between 4 and 7 am, depending on SOC. It had been working until I updated the firmware to 1010, the latest available in the app.
Yesterday I could not get it to charge from grid unless I changed the PV first setting, and even then it ignored the power setting.
This morning I turned on the grid charge, within the time frame and it did nothing. I went and changed from SOC to time setting and it started charging and did respect the power level as I changed it.
Then I set it back to SOC and it continued to charge and still respect power levels.
However, yesterday it exported wayyy too much, totally against the settings. Unacceptable.
It exported 0.8kwh yesterday.

Edit to add Gilbert LUX helped me out with firmware updates to both the inverter and display even though it is the middle of the night where he is. Thank you very much Gilbert.

Attachments

• export 07-22.jpg
    export 07-22.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back