diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Separate question from current discussion..

Would there be an issue mounting the 18kPV on a cement block wall that is not also filled with concrete? I ran out of room on my wall I built long time ago and wondering if I can skip extending the partition wall then adding cement board and just mount the 18kPV directly to the cement block wall. Manual shows doing that but not sure if there is issue because the blocks aren't filled with concrete.

Separate question from current discussion..

Would there be an issue mounting the 18kPV on a cement block wall that is not also filled with concrete? I ran out of room on my wall I built long time ago and wondering if I can skip extending the partition wall then adding cement board and just mount the 18kPV directly to the cement block wall. Manual shows doing that but not sure if there is issue because the blocks aren't filled with concrete.
It should be good? Just make sure the spacing is good and have good ventilation,

Usually the go-to solution there is to add Unistrut to spread the load out across multiple anchors to the block. I wish there was a detail for strut-mounting the inverter though.

As long as your anchor bolts are solid you should be fine, even though the unit is pretty heavy the load will be vertical so they should not pull out of the block.

It’ll be fine. Wedge anchors can be picky in block walls though. Try to hit the center of a block or towards the end of one. There’s more meat to grab onto there.

So as far as I can see, all time settings are correct both on inverter and web control panel.
I have a time setup to charge between 4 and 7 am, depending on SOC. It had been working until I updated the firmware to 1010, the latest available in the app.
Yesterday I could not get it to charge from grid unless I changed the PV first setting, and even then it ignored the power setting.
This morning I turned on the grid charge, within the time frame and it did nothing. I went and changed from SOC to time setting and it started charging and did respect the power level as I changed it.
Then I set it back to SOC and it continued to charge and still respect power levels.
However, yesterday it exported wayyy too much, totally against the settings. Unacceptable.
It exported 0.8kwh yesterday.

Edit to add Gilbert LUX helped me out with firmware updates to both the inverter and display even though it is the middle of the night where he is. Thank you very much Gilbert.
MAHALO! I'm happy to help, don't forget to reach out to hear some feedback about your system in the future.

It’ll be fine. Wedge anchors can be picky in block walls though. Try to hit the center of a block or towards the end of one. There’s more meat to grab onto there.
Yep, it was total failure ? The concrete block was too friable so even when the hole was very tight getting the bolt in the nut just kept turning and never had any good grip to the point that most of the threads are out of the wall now. This is 1940's construction and above ground level block which looks different then the below ground block but the 18kPV would be too low if I tried using those blocks.

What type of anchor are you using?
I generally go for hollow wall anchors.
If the block is brittle, maybe a toggle bolt would be better.

What type of anchor are you using?
I generally go for hollow wall anchors.
If the block is brittle, maybe a toggle bolt would be better.
The 18kPV comes with 4 wedge anchor bolts which is what I tried using similar to this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...-Wedge-Anchor-25-Pack-STB2-50512C25/315534658 but with full sleeve.

The block was solid for about 2" then hollow.

I can add short 2x4 to mount on.. just thought it would save some time if I could get the anchor bolt to work.

The 18kPV comes with 4 wedge anchor bolts which is what I tried using similar to this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson...-Wedge-Anchor-25-Pack-STB2-50512C25/315534658 but with full sleeve.

I can add short 2x4 to mount on.. just thought it would save some time if I could get the anchor bolt to work.
Those anchors are for solid concrete.
You need hollow wall anchors.
Or toggle bolts like these.

You can use those anchors fine. It just has to be in the middle or ends of the block. Tapcons with washers would work also. Lots of options really.

If you can hit the hollow spots these work great, hold a lot of weight, and you can take the bolts in and out if needed.

Use the 2x4 and toggle bolts. More than you need, but easier to make changes if you need to. I still prefer strut to wood, but either will work.

The 18K does not seem to like lopsided solar input very much when in parallel. I obtained 16 used CS250's for next to nothing, they are literally laying on concrete block in the back yard, I tested each with a meter and strung them together, then tapped them into my outside panel as a single string. They are putting out around 2.6K, I attached the string to the primary. Now I'm getting severe brownouts when the AC cuts on. I am running about a 45% load, I'm charging my car, so I'm pulling 11.5K, 5.6 for the EV and 4.9 for the A/C. Solar is producing ~13+, the remaining is charging the batteries. I'm thinking the balance problem creates confusion, when it has to create an unbalanced output/conversion.

I seriously temp'd this in, I didn't even know if the panels were any good. I ordered some cable, and I'll bust this into two strings of 8 instead, and see how it affects things. I need more batteries.

Update: Installed inverter last week and hit a dead end with user registration. Gilbert reached out to me with what appears to be an incorrect registration code. Then Travis from Signature Solar messaged with another code and asked for my contact info, to which I immediately responded. Within an hour I received an email from Sean:

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 2.06.52 PM.png

To which I quickly responded minutes later with all pertinent information.

And here we are Monday and I've heard absolutely nothing back from anyone.

I'm REALLY trying to remain positive, and not bash anyone here, but seriously guys, this is testing my limits quickly. Spending many thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment to then have zero ability to use it with something as basic as user registration. Then to be told "they will do it for me", which absolutely should not be required in any way, and to not hear back for days on end to the point that I use a forum to hopefully get a response??

I've literally had MORE communication from members reaching out to me via private messages than I have from the company, I'm really beginning to feel like taking a chance and saving a bit of money on the EG4 was a mistake over a Sol-Ark at this point. Saving money sounds great, but at some point you have to question these things.

Update: Installed inverter last week and hit a dead end with user registration. Gilbert reached out to me with what appears to be an incorrect registration code. Then Travis from Signature Solar messaged with another code and asked for my contact info, to which I immediately responded. Within an hour I received an email from Sean:

View attachment 159142

I'm REALLY trying to remain positive, and not bash anyone here, but seriously guys, this is testing my limits quickly. Spending many thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment to then have zero ability to use it with something as basic as user registration. Then to be told "they will do it for me", which absolutely should not be required in any way, and to not hear back for days on end to the point that I use a forum to hopefully get a response??

I've literally had MORE communication from members reaching out to me via private messages than I have from the company, I'm really beginning to feel like taking a chance and saving a bit of money on the EG4 was a mistake over a Sol-Ark at this point. Saving money sounds great, but at some point you have to question these things.
Let me know and I can help you. Send me a personal message please

View attachment 159142

Might be an issue with the dongle itself. That sounds odd though. I think you should definitely be able to do everything yourself. They gave me the registration code “signature”.

Is the inverter itself not working? You mentioned not being able to use it.

Back