diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Can't find the answer after searching.. Have an 18k and 6 EG4 Lifepower4 Batteries. The BMS is working after upgrading one of the batteries but I see a flat line when charging. I can see on the web interface the BMS charge limit of 50A which seems a bit low. Do I need to upgrade all of the batteries firmware?
Yes, you need to upgrade them all. The first battery in the chain should be Zero(0). You don't have to get happy with the switches, the firmware upgrades work just fine if you change the ID in the software tool. Just plug into the top battery make sure they are all totally disconnected from a load and walk them. Doesn't take terribly long.

Yes, you need to upgrade them all. The first battery in the chain should be Zero(0). You don't have to get happy with the switches, the firmware upgrades work just fine if you change the ID in the software tool. Just plug into the top battery make sure they are all totally disconnected from a load and walk them. Doesn't take terribly long.

Will do. I wondered why they wanted the ID changed when the BMS software recognized each one. Thanks for the tips

Final got my 18kpv up and running. Off grid for now (a/c and well pump left on grid). My only problem I found is that the lights flicker pretty bad with loads that run over 2Kw. I'm guessing it was because it was cloudy and the battery kept having to change from charging to discharging when big loads kicked on (Stove top and dryer). Will try some different loads tomorrow. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

• 20230823_200132.jpg
    20230823_200132.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230823_154418_EG4 Monitor.jpg
    Screenshot_20230823_154418_EG4 Monitor.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 17
Final got my 18kpv up and running. Off grid for now (a/c and well pump left on grid). My only problem I found is that the lights flicker pretty bad with loads that run over 2Kw. I'm guessing it was because it was cloudy and the battery kept having to change from charging to discharging when big loads kicked on (Stove top and dryer). Will try some different loads tomorrow. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Flicker like a strobe or simply dim for a split second?

For the dryer. I use eco mode setting on my dryer. Takes a little over 3 hours to dry the clothes but the peak wattage draw drops from 6,000 all the way to 2,000 and usually save 0.5-1kWh
Which dryer do you use? I have an LG and really should test out its eco mode. That is a big difference.

Installed new firmware last night when the voltage drop kept making my mini split fan turn off and on. Much better today with big loads but still see a pulse with washing machine motor(not bad). Going to try again after the batteries are charged and the inverter has enough PV for any loads

So what is the latest best firmware for near zero export? I have an inverter already feeding the grid with an agreement so I doubt that a small bit of extra will make a difference.

I’m currently running FAAB-1110 and I see some odd behavior. In my system I have an external real time power monitor on my meter side and I can see situations where I get oscillating power demands from the 18K. See below:

1693005313916.png

This will usually stop if I turn on a large load like a stove as shown below:

1693005372216.png

It doesn’t amount to much power used but it bugs me to have the inverter doing unexpected things to the incoming grid.

So what is the latest best firmware for near zero export? I have an inverter already feeding the grid with an agreement so I doubt that a small bit of extra will make a difference.

I’m currently running FAAB-1110 and I see some odd behavior. In my system I have an external real time power monitor on my meter side and I can see situations where I get oscillating power demands from the 18K. See below:

View attachment 164543

This will usually stop if I turn on a large load like a stove as shown below:

View attachment 164544

It doesn’t amount to much power used but it bugs me to have the inverter doing unexpected things to the incoming grid.

1312 is the newest.

Looks like the 18K is just responding to the CTs with a slight delay. I suspect the 18K are more of a "Net" Zero.

Do you have zero export enabled? Do you have a net metering agreement ??

1312 is the newest.

Looks like the 18K is just responding to the CTs with a slight delay. I suspect the 18K are more of a "Net" Zero.

Do you have zero export enabled? Do you have a net metering agreement ??
I have zero export and fast zero export enabled. I have a meet metering agreement for an AC coupled sunny boy inverter that is grid tied only with no batteries. The sunny boy is on the meter side before the CTs and is what shows up as generation in the graphs.

Just looking for the best version to get the least goofy performance.

Back