diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Well actually it did seem to help. I used the network settings from Zapper and tried on my phone hotspot. It connected to that finally. Then I tried my wifi again and it connected!! Now I have all 3 lights solid and it works in the app! Thank you all for helping me out today!

Either way, thank you for the reply and I hope you're wrong.
I was wrong. I thought there was an issue in Article 800, but 800.110A1 specifically references anything installed in accordance with Chapter 3.

Good to check with SS to make sure it won't be a warranty issue, but you should be fine.

I was wrong. I thought there was an issue in Article 800, but 800.110A1 specifically references anything installed in accordance with Chapter 3.

Good to check with SS to make sure it won't be a warranty issue, but you should be fine.
I sent this to SS tech's email last night.
Me
"I ran the battery communication cable with the battery power cables and the battery rack ground together in conduit. Is there a problem with this?"
Sig Solar
"I do not see any issue with having the cables run together in the same conduit."

Last edited:
Does the 18kpv have a screen lock/PIN/passocde for the built in display? To keep unauthorized persons from making changes to settings, epically if the unit is installed outside.

I ordered 2 EG4 18kpvs yesterday. Is it customary to use a transfer switch? In the manual, a transfer switch is not shown but in the Sol-Ark 15K manual, they show a transfer switch. Below is what I was thinking.

wiring4.png

Last edited:
I ordered 2 EG4 18kpvs yesterday. Is it customary to use a transfer switch? In the manual, a transfer switch is not shown but in the Sol-Ark 15K manual, they show a transfer switch. Below is what I was thinking.

View attachment 175517
The transfer switch is optional, but provides an easy way to bypass the inverter in case of major issues, failure, or maintenance, and keep the house powered. Also the transfer switch provides the code required disconnect for the output of the inverters, if the transfer switch is not used, a separate disconnect would be needed. Transfer switch or disconnect will need to be outside per NEC 2020.

Does the 18kpv have a screen lock/PIN/passocde for the built in display? To keep unauthorized persons from making changes to settings, epically if the unit is installed outside.
Yes and No

The pin lock only protects the big settings like grid type, battery type and a few others.

I think the LCD touch may run through the usb. Maybe I'll disconnect the usb to verify if it disables the touch screen.

VideoCapture_20231101-110143.jpg

Edit added photo

The transfer switch is optional, but provides an easy way to bypass the inverter in case of major issues, failure, or maintenance, and keep the house powered. Also the transfer switch provides the code required disconnect for the output of the inverters, if the transfer switch is not used, a separate disconnect would be needed. Transfer switch or disconnect will need to be outside per NEC 2020.
wiring4.png

I moved the transfer switch outside. :)

Random EG4 18kpv question... I currently have a schnieder inverter but switching to EG4 soon... My current inverter has a control panel about 6inx4 on my wall that I can monitor everything in my office. Does EG4 have anything similar or would someone just have to mount an mini ipad to the wall? Or does no one do this anymore

@neo2299
Why are you switching from Schneider? I thought that Schneider was bulletproof?

What's the protocol for connecting the pv wire to the inverter?

3.4.2 "Steps For PV Connection" states breakers off. Wouldn't the pv wire be hot unless it was night time? Does it matter?
Don't hookup stuff that is hot, especially if you have no experience in doing so. Kill all power first. You have a disconnect at your solar panels, right?

What if there's a transfer switch and disconnect inside, but just the RSD button is outside? Would that count, since the RSD should shut down PV and the inverters etc?

What if there's a transfer switch and disconnect inside, but just the RSD button is outside? Would that count, since the RSD should shut down PV and the inverters etc?
Not in my neighborhood. They want a physical disconnect.

Edit to say this was late 2021 early 2022 working with 2017 NEC. We are on 2020 now.

Last edited:
For one and two unit dwellings, it depends on what version of the NEC is in use, NEC 2017 requires a disconnect by the inverter, NEC 2020 requires disconnects outside in a readily accessible location in addition to a disconnect at the inverter. NEC 2023 requires an emergency shutdown/RSD switch outside in a readily accessible location, in addition to a disconnect at the inverter. Once NEC 2023 comes in effect the RSD/emergency shutdown will be the required solution, and an outdoor disconnect won't be needed. Also places not yet on NEC 2020 like Virginia don't yet have the requirement for an outdoor disconnect yet.

Last edited:
For one and two unit dwellings, it depends on what version of the NEC is in use, NEC 2017 requires a disconnect by the inverter, NEC 2020 requires disconnects outside in a readily accessible location in addition to a disconnect at the inverter. NEC 2023 requires an emergency shutdown/RSD switch in a readily accessible location, in addition to a disconnect at the inverter.

Would inside the garage be considered 'readily accessible', or because it's behind a door would that not meet that requirement?

Once NEC 2023 comes in effect the RSD/emergency shutdown will be the required solution, and an outdoor disconnect won't be needed. Also places not yet on NEC 2020 like Virginia don't yet have the requirement for an outdoor disconnect yet.

Would inside the garage be considered 'readily accessible', or because it's behind a door would that not meet that requirement?
The NEC2023 emergency shutdown switch must be outside as well, sorry I missed that in my last response, so it couldn’t be in a garage.

Not in my neighborhood. They want a physical disconnect.
Yep, same here I either have to have a physical disconnect outside or my entire breaker box must move outside. I'm standing by on getting the work done until I can take advantage of the HEEHRA rebated (hopefully early to mid 2024)

diy solar

diy solar
Back