diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

@EG4_Jarrett is there a way for me to remotely tell what the IP address is of my inverter's dongle? I'm not at my cabin, and my solar assistant is timing out trying to connect to the inverter over the local wifi... I can't check the IP from here to tell if the device IP changed :(.

edit: nevermind! Apparently I needed to remove and re-add the inverter and logger serial and it seemed to connect successfully now.

@y0bailey Are you able to hover over that link for the change log and provide the actual url for it? I've never registered for the EG4 monitoring account so don't have that.

Try switching on-grid disconnect to 25% and off-grid disconnect to 10%

Let us know if the system responds the same.

What firmware version do you have installed?
Firmware update was no go. Same Issue. As soon as the batteries hit 19% they start charging from the grid at about 500 watts and AC Charge is Off. If I set the On-Grid Cutoff to 25% instead of 10% the batteries will stop discharging at 25% as expected but then will still start charging at about 500 watts. At this point I don't really care about the whole 20% thing except that I am missing out on 3kWh of power. I just don't want these to be charging from the grid during On-Peak times if the batteries get down to 20% before Off-Peak time.

Firmware update was no go. Same Issue. As soon as the batteries hit 19% they start charging from the grid at about 500 watts and AC Charge is Off. If I set the On-Grid Cutoff to 25% instead of 10% the batteries will stop discharging at 25% as expected but then will still start charging at about 500 watts. At this point I don't really care about the whole 20% thing except that I am missing out on 3kWh of power. I just don't want these to be charging from the grid during On-Peak times if the batteries get down to 20% before Off-Peak time.
Weird.

@EG4_Jarrett any ideas?

Can you PM me your station name?

So I have two 18kpv inverters connected in parallel with grid inputs to both, running in "off-grid" mode successfully for a week now - this is where the off-grid option is selected on both inverters. My understanding is that this setup is required in order to have "self consumption mode" or basically solar->battery->grid.

They're configured to discharge the batteries down to 10%, at which point they should switch to grid.

The weird part is that, it's been a week of cloudy days, and my batteries have drained a bit each day, and last night they got down below the 10% mark. When it got below 10%, the grid presumably kicked in; however, the inverters stopped reporting *any* load, and did not indicate *any* grid input was used.

What gives with this? This is super strange, misleading, and confusing!

Graphs - notice that grid power stays pinned at 0:
1706631944667.png

When the sun came back out this morning and charged the batteries above 15%, it kicked back over to SBU as expected (which is great), but there was zero indication that the grid was even used at all...

1706632228307.png

So I have two 18kpv inverters connected in parallel with grid inputs to both, running in "off-grid" mode successfully for a week now - this is where the off-grid option is selected on both inverters. My understanding is that this setup is required in order to have "self consumption mode" or basically solar->battery->grid.

They're configured to discharge the batteries down to 10%, at which point they should switch to grid.

The weird part is that, it's been a week of cloudy days, and my batteries have drained a bit each day, and last night they got down below the 10% mark. When it got below 10%, the grid presumably kicked in; however, the inverters stopped reporting *any* load, and did not indicate *any* grid input was used.

What gives with this? This is super strange, misleading, and confusing!

Graphs - notice that grid power stays pinned at 0:
View attachment 192184

When the sun came back out this morning and charged the batteries above 15%, it kicked back over to SBU as expected (which is great), but there was zero indication that the grid was even used at all...

View attachment 192187
Where are your CTs installed?

🤔 I don't have any CTs installed...

They didn't come with the inverters - where do you get them? Is this required in order to actually see grid measurements on the inverter?
They came in the small white box. Check your inverter box. It's right on top when you open the 18Kpv box.

That was 8 months ago. Guess my memory was wrong.
Maybe I completely missed it like an idiot though. I'll check on Thursday when I get back out to my cabin - I'm hoping it was in there and I missed it, otherwise I'm gonna have to contact signature solar and hope they can send me 2 of them (one for each inverter)...

Maybe I completely missed it like an idiot though. I'll check on Thursday when I get back out to my cabin - I'm hoping it was in there and I missed it, otherwise I'm gonna have to contact signature solar and hope they can send me 2 of them (one for each inverter)...
You won't be the first one to misplace the CTs. I did the same thing

Trying to Figure out my solar panel inputs to An EG4 18kpv
32 panels 370w each panel.... 10.92 amps each.... 41 v each panel
each string would have 8 panels in series..... 328 volts 10.92 amps

wired in to EG4 18kpv.....
mppt one 328v 10.92a
mppt two 328v 10.92a
mppt three 328v 10.92a
mppt four 328v 10.92a

Would this input arrangement be acceptable to the EG4 without burning it up?

Help appreciated

Trying to Figure out my solar panel inputs to An EG4 18kpv
32 panels 370w each panel.... 10.92 amps each.... 41 v each panel
each string would have 8 panels in series..... 328 volts 10.92 amps

wired in to EG4 18kpv.....
mppt one 328v 10.92a
mppt two 328v 10.92a
mppt three 328v 10.92a
mppt four 328v 10.92a

Help appreciated
Yes, that's fine :)

Nominal MPPT Voltage is 360VDC, so looks good.
One thing that comes in handy so nothing gets burnt up is a multimeter to test polarity.

diy solar

diy solar
Back