diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Is someone able to help with a battery discharging issue? When there is no longer solar input my batteries will start discharging before the grid, which is exactly what I want, however the batteries only discharge down to 20% then the grid kicks in and starts charging the batteries at 500 watts. I have On-Grid cut off at 10% and AC Charge disabled.(I have enabled AC Charge at 100w to limit the random 500 watts going into the battery) How do I make it so the batteries discharge to 10% and the grid doesn’t charge the batteries unless AC Charge is on.
Please share your settings. Use https://monitor.eg4electronics.com/WManage/web/login

Need to see

Charge
Discharge
Force Discharge
Peak Shaving

So I believe I have settled on this setup after deciding not to do a backfeed breaker. Ive looked at a few awg charts and seem to be getting different results. Do I need 2/0 or 3/0 wire for the 200a pass through? And I will need to use that awg for all wires from the meter through the switches and into the inverter and main breaker panel?
ive seen so many 18kpv install photos where the wire looked way smaller going into the inverter, I suppose they were not doing 200a?

Im gonna use polaris connectors to do the feeder tap.

and what size ground would you recommend?

last thing, my current breaker box has the neutral bonded at the load panel/main breaker panel. This diagram says it needs to be moved to the main service breaker?
Screenshot 2024-01-20 094720.jpg

Just got Home Assistant integration set up yesterday. Issue has been going since I got the batteries. Goal is to eventually automate battery charging on off peak time when it’s going to be cloudy.
Try switching on-grid disconnect to 25% and off-grid disconnect to 10%

Let us know if the system responds the same.

What firmware version do you have installed?

Last edited:
So I believe I have settled on this setup after deciding not to do a backfeed breaker. Ive looked at a few awg charts and seem to be getting different results. Do I need 2/0 or 3/0 wire for the 200a pass through? And I will need to use that awg for all wires from the meter through the switches and into the inverter and main breaker panel?
ive seen so many 18kpv install photos where the wire looked way smaller going into the inverter, I suppose they were not doing 200a?

Im gonna use polaris connectors to do the feeder tap.

and what size ground would you recommend?

last thing, my current breaker box has the neutral bonded at the load panel/main breaker panel. This diagram says it needs to be moved to the main service breaker?
View attachment 190136
3/0 Copper and I think 2awg ground.

Check with your inspector. They may allow you to keep the old bonding location.

Try switching on-grid disconnect to 25% and off-grid disconnect to 10%

Let us know if the system responds the same.

What firmware version do you have installed?
EG4 updated the firmware remotely when I first got the inverter installed because of weird issues I was having before when I first added batteries. I’ll monitor the changes and see how it reacts

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1010.jpeg
    IMG_1010.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 17
I'd update the firmware all the way to 1717.

As a general principle, I know there's an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mentality but especially during the teething phases of a new product, companies like luxpower and eg4 are finding and fixing lots of issues. Worth upgrading.

3/0 Copper and I think 2awg ground.

Check with your inspector. They may allow you to keep the old bonding location.
No inspector here but I’m going to hire an electrician to check my work when I’m finished. Thanks for the help.

I think I should be ok as long as I’m not bonding in multiple places, but I’m certainly not an expert.

No inspector here but I’m going to hire an electrician to check my work when I’m finished. Thanks for the help.

I think I should be ok as long as I’m not bonding in multiple places, but I’m certainly not an expert.
3/0 copper hots/neutrals with 4 or 6awg ground. No harm in going bigger.

Arguably you don't need to go larger than your service entrance wires, but ignoring those sorts of caveats that may or may not pass the muster of your AHJ, 3/0 copper will definitely work for 200a.

Or 4/0 aluminum is fine too.
Not sure on the current price of metals but aluminum is generally a lot cheaper than copper. Most terminals are rated for both copper and aluminum but might want to check, just to be safe. Not sure it's recommended, but when the system is down, I like to go around and re-torque the terminals, especially the large gauge ones.

Not sure on the current price of metals but aluminum is generally a lot cheaper than copper. Most terminals are rated for both copper and aluminum but might want to check, just to be safe. Not sure it's recommended, but when the system is down, I like to go around and re-torque the terminals, especially the large gauge ones.
It's not recommended, in fact I think it's considered actively harmful by some code and electrician cognoscenti.

Now there are people that will do it once (sometimes after an hour), the idea being that it deals with what happens after the conductor mechanically relax a bit.

It's not recommended, in fact I think it's considered actively harmful by some code and electrician cognoscenti.

Now there are people that will do it once (sometimes after an hour), the idea being that it deals with what happens after the conductor mechanically relax a bit.
Yeah, I was thinking it was no longer recommended, old habits and all that, but the number of times I've ran across a loose connection, at work or home, and the number of times a loose connection caused downtime and burnt wires ... still like to check them. Usually these are the larger gauge wires which I feel might tend to 'relax'.

Yeah, I was thinking it was no longer recommended, old habits and all that, but the number of times I've ran across a loose connection, at work or home, and the number of times a loose connection caused downtime and burnt wires ... still like to check them. Usually these are the larger gauge wires which I feel might tend to 'relax'.
Those might have been done wrong in the first place.

I think what folks are worried about with retorquing it semi regularly is overtightening it / distorting the conductors/strands more and more each time you have at it again. IE the termination torque is engineered/tested for initial torque and then let it settle over time.

Is there a browser accessible link to the change log?
Change log is in the app or there is a link from the web monitoring system somewhere but I'm not in front of it at the moment so I couldn't tell you exactly where.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240122-064450.png
    Screenshot_20240122-064450.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 9
To be perfectly honest, I was using FAAB-OEOE before switching to FAAB-1717. Before it would crank my Quincy Compressor slower and I had time after 6 revolutions to manually shut it off realizing it was not going to take off.
Now with 1717 it turns it over faster but just not long enough before it shuts the inverter off. Also notice after 2 attempts trying on the 3rd attempt it takes over 3 minutes before the inverter comes back on. It still starts my dust collector but I sense the motor starter on the collector is the only reason why, it struggles. So I think it may be better line balance power but does not sustain that surge as long as before. He turned the amps up to about as much as possible in the safe range but did not do the trick. I have not seen a single light flicker sense the update. I plan to stay with this update for now and give it more time to see if I notice better change. Markus helped me with this, he's an important asset for this inverter.

diy solar

diy solar
Back