diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Replying back to my own message here, because I'm still kinda stuck in limbo. I have a ticket out with signature solar (@SignatureSolarJess - haven't heard back from you for 3 weeks :().

Their system says they have CTs in stock and ready to ship, but then whenever anyone tries to go look for them, apparently they're out of stock with no date as to when they could ship them.

@EG4_Jarrett any chance you could help on this front? I just need 2 sets of CTs (one for each inverter) :cry:.

Barring that - can anyone recommend a cheap CT I could buy myself to make it work? I'm not sure if the RS485 protocol for CTs is universal, but I suspect it would work...
I am so sorry! I assure you that I am requesting updates on this daily! We are unfortunately at the mercy of our supplier. I have contacted our procurement team again today and they are also diligently following up.

I truly hope we can give you some good news soon, however, it may be worth asking around in this forum in the meantime. I have seen people acquiring parts through other members here.

Replying back to my own message here, because I'm still kinda stuck in limbo. I have a ticket out with signature solar (@SignatureSolarJess - haven't heard back from you for 3 weeks :().

Their system says they have CTs in stock and ready to ship, but then whenever anyone tries to go look for them, apparently they're out of stock with no date as to when they could ship them.

@EG4_Jarrett any chance you could help on this front? I just need 2 sets of CTs (one for each inverter) :cry:.

Barring that - can anyone recommend a cheap CT I could buy myself to make it work? I'm not sure if the RS485 protocol for CTs is universal, but I suspect it would work...
I will get the request put in right now actually!

Hey All - I'm in the process of wiring up my 18K, I plan to repurpose my 125A sub-panel as a critical loads panel. The sub panel is currently connecting to my main panel with a 100A breaker, but it doesn't have it's own breaker. Is this going to pose a safety risk by wiring my sub panel directly to the load side of the 18k, without a breaker sized for the 125A max bus rating? Do you just leave it up to the individual branch breakers and keep in mind the limits of the panel, or do I need to get a new panel with it's own main breaker? I was looking at either #2 or #3 THHN for the feed between the 18k and the critical loads panel, it's about 25' run. I also have 11kW of AC coupled solar I plan to add in to the mix as well, that was professionally done a few years ago with a supply-side tap.

Last edited:
Hey All - I'm in the process of wiring up my 18K, I plan to repurpose my 125A sub-panel as a critical loads panel. The sub panel is currently connecting to my main panel with a 100A breaker, but it doesn't have it's own breaker. Is this going to pose a safety risk by wiring my sub panel directly to the load side of the 18k, without a breaker sized for the 125A max bus rating? Do you just leave it up to the individual branch breakers and keep in mind the limits of the panel, or do I need to get a new panel with it's own main breaker? I was looking at either #2 or #3 THHN for the feed between the 18k and the critical loads panel, it's about 25' run. I also have 11kW of AC coupled solar I plan to add in to the mix as well, that was professionally done a few years ago with a supply-side tap.
I had a similar question earlier. I am not an electrician but I believe you'd either need to wire the load side of the 18kpv to a 125a fused disconnect or 125a breaker with appropriate wire and then step down to something rated for 125a to the critical loads panel.

I am so sorry! I assure you that I am requesting updates on this daily! We are unfortunately at the mercy of our supplier. I have contacted our procurement team again today and they are also diligently following up.

I truly hope we can give you some good news soon, however, it may be worth asking around in this forum in the meantime. I have seen people acquiring parts through other members here.

Are there 2 of the 18's sitting on a shelf somewhere that the CT's could be procured from?

I had a similar question earlier. I am not an electrician but I believe you'd either need to wire the load side of the 18kpv to a 125a fused disconnect or 125a breaker with appropriate wire and then step down to something rated for 125a to the critical loads panel.
Thank you, that makes sense. Did you end up doing the same wiring or are you still researching? What did you do with the bonding lug in your critical loads panel?

My understanding is since my main panel has the neutral bond today, the sub panel should not also be bonded, so I left that lug disconnected when I installed the sub panel. Since the 18k isn't bonded in anyway, I assume I need to add that bonding lug back into the critical loads panel.

Thank you, that makes sense. Did you end up doing the same wiring or are you still researching? What did you do with the bonding lug in your critical loads panel?

My understanding is since my main panel has the neutral bond today, the sub panel should not also be bonded, so I left that lug disconnected when I installed the sub panel. Since the 18k isn't bonded in anyway, I assume I need to add that bonding lug back into the critical loads panel.
Isn’t there a bonding in the main panel? I think there should be one and only one neutral/ground bond in the entire system, but since all of the neutrals are wired everywhere, and all of the grounds are wired everywhere, you shouldn’t need (or have) more than one bond.

Are you going to add the 11k ac coupled to the 18Kpv or leave it supply-side tapped?

Isn’t there a bonding in the main panel? I think there should be one and only one neutral/ground bond in the entire system, but since all of the neutrals are wired everywhere, and all of the grounds are wired everywhere, you shouldn’t need (or have) more than one bond.
Are you going to add the 11k ac coupled to the 18Kpv or leave it supply-side tapped?
My idea is to re-use the supply side tap for the 18k's grid terminals - then re-route the existing solar to the GEN terminals for AC coupling

if the main panel and sub panel are no longer wired together, wouldn't I want both to be bonded? I'm picturing this as if the 18k is the only interconnection point between the two panels, and it is not bonded from what I read.

if the main panel and sub panel are no longer wired together, wouldn't I want both to be bonded? I'm picturing this as if the 18k is the only interconnection point between the two panels, and it is not bonded from what I read.
forgot to mention, I also have an interlock kit on the main panel for my portable gas generator. I'd need to keep that in play as I've got a chargeverter on order, I'm thinking about wiring in a plug to my main panel just to have a place to connect the chargeverter.... and in a worst case scenario still have a backup for the whole house. Since the interlock would effectively isolate the 18k's grid terminals from the generator I think that should work, but feel free to correct me if I'm missing something here

Are there 2 of the 18's sitting on a shelf somewhere that the CT's could be procured from?
I wish! If we did that, the units we took them from would be in the same situation. There's a model 18k next to me for learning purposes at the office that I wanted to pull them from for a customer who's been waiting but I unfortunately can't 😅 I assure you, if I could go rip through the warehouse to get you guys the parts you need, I would! 💯😂

Absolutely you can buy your own that will meet those specifications.
I have a set I will not be using in the future but unfortunately I am using them while still having the grid as backup for now.
Sounds like they are worth a lot of money on the black market like beanie babies 🤣

Perhaps I can be of some assistance. I have 4 of these I'm not using and unlikely to ever use I have everything behind a transfer switch. DM me I can mail them to you.

You could probably just make a couple as well, get the clip style from E-bay and wire it up to an RJ-45. They really aren't doing any magic mee-thinks.

Perhaps I can be of some assistance. I have 4 of these I'm not using and unlikely to ever use I have everything behind a transfer switch. DM me I can mail them to you.

You could probably just make a couple as well, get the clip style from E-bay and wire it up to an RJ-45. They really aren't doing any magic mee-thinks.
Thanks, but I'm not the one looking for them.

@Shinzul is though

Thanks for the offer! Eg4 is going to ship 2 sets I think, but if I don't get them in the next week or so, I'll let you know 🙂

I'm at my cabin and updating the firmware while I'm out here - I noticed there's a new FAAB-18xx firmware available. Does anyone happen to know where I can find the changelog?

Ah ha! Nice, thanks. That's quite buried...

For future reference, here's the website for the 18kpv firmware update changelogs (note that this appears to need you to be logged in to monitor.eg4electronics.com): http://os.solarcloudsystem.com/#/releaseLog?deviceType=LXP_LB_8_12K

I wonder what this line actually means in the latest FW:
15. Improvement—Surge protection supports EPS output by1.35 times rated power for 1 minute.

I bought an 18kpv and i’m having trouble with communication between the bms of my batteries and my inverter. I have five eg4 LL v1 and i’ve already tried 3 differents firmware updates and different batteries as a master also. I even tried different communication cables. Bare in mind that the batteries i have are the EG4 LL V1 (with LCD screen). Do they require the communication hub from EG4 ?? Or is there another solution to this issue ??

Please advise because my inverter is currently set up on lead acid for me to support the loads.

diy solar

diy solar
Back