diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Looking to understand the "PV Input" choices in the Advanced section.

View attachment 187358

I have three separate arrays, each going to its own input on the inverter.
There are multiple combinations of PV# & PV# independent, No PV, and PV# Only.
While I was troubleshooting some generator issues, I found mine was set to PV1, PV2 independent. With three arrays being fed into the system there were no issues using the solar from each. I changed it to PV1, PV2, PV3 independent and have noticed no difference in behavior.

How should one set this up for their system and what do they mean by "independent"?
Did you ever get an answer to this question?

So just noticed a couple of discrepancies that EG4 might want to look into and update….

I have several networks at my place and it looks like the app will only use 10.10.10.1 and no other network for Local Connect to work. Is this because the app is hard coded? How about an option to select the ip address for Local Connect? Everything else works fine when changing the ip address of the inverter to another network, except then Local Connect from the app doesn’t connect.

Also using Local Connect it seems as if it is only using 1 of the arrays to count the pv generated today total and not all 3. See picture. It’s not possible for me to have exported more power than what the pv has generated. And yes it should be 3 times as much pv generated already today hence my thinking it is only counting from one of the arrays.

IMG_2449.jpegIMG_2450.jpeg

It also seems to not match the website totals for pv yield total. These totals on the website are a day old but as you can see the total yield on the local is way below. The other totals look good.

So have been looking at local connect as my internet has been down. So another question would be - once my internet comes back online and the inverter starts sending data back to EG4, would it then send the missing data from when it was offline or just start at the point that it comes online again?

Edit as reference picture of inverter lcd
IMG_7611.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you ever get an answer to this question?
I believe someone here said that it’s for the MPPT as to which one gets used for the inverter’s calculations with regard to MPPT. I have mine set to all 3 independent. Might be useful if you had your arrays facing different directions and wanted a specific arrays MPPT to be used.

Quick question:

Why are "Peak Shaving" settings only available on the phone app and not on the web interface (https://monitor.eg4electronics.com)? What would be the reason for that?

Can it be made available on the web-interface?

Thanks!

I believe someone here said that it’s for the MPPT as to which one gets used for the inverter’s calculations with regard to MPPT. I have mine set to all 3 independent. Might be useful if you had your arrays facing different directions and wanted a specific arrays MPPT to be used.
I have mine set to no pv, even though there are 3 arrays connected...and it appears to work fine. I've asked this question before and haven't gotten an answer that makes sense with actual performance

Generator Boost with newest Firmware

Is this basically just protecting the generator input port to only what it's capable of producing without overloading the generator? What happens if the loads try to pull more than the gen+solar/bat are capable of providing per the max generator boost config?

Can someone help me understand why my new 18kpv would randomly switch off of battery to grid for a few minutes several times per day? For context I do not have solar installed yet and am just running off of battery in a grid tied scenario.

I asked Markus and he said it was from grid frequency going out of spec so he made some changes but it is still happening just as much. Has anyone seen this with their 18kpv? I can understand why it might switch from grid to battery if there’s an issue but why would it switch from battery to grid seemingly at random?

Attachments

• IMG_9893.jpeg
    IMG_9893.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 10
Can someone help me understand why my new 18kpv would randomly switch off of battery to grid for a few minutes several times per day? For context I do not have solar installed yet and am just running off of battery in a grid tied scenario.

I asked Markus and he said it was from grid frequency going out of spec so he made some changes but it is still happening just as much. Has anyone seen this with their 18kpv? I can understand why it might switch from grid to battery if there’s an issue but why would it switch from battery to grid seemingly at random?

If you could DM your station name and serial number for the inverter, I will look into this.

I don’t know if this cures the grid draw problem on yours, but I turned off seamless switch. And mine has not drawn from the grid any, when it’s not supposed too. And Jared changed some things on mine also.

Attachments

• IMG_5049.png
    IMG_5049.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 8
I don’t know if this cures the grid draw problem on yours, but I turned off seamless switch. And mine has not drawn from the grid any, when it’s not supposed too. And Jared changed some things on mine also.
Good to know, I will give it a try. Does it still seamlessly switch when necessary?

Good to know, I will give it a try. Does it still seamlessly switch when necessary?
It don’t know, this is what some one’s else on the forum said “4ms transfer turns into 20ms”. But I had to turn mine off, my ac couple inverter absolutely hates it. My 18Kpv and my ac coupled inverter would shut out together about 20 times a day. And a lot of time the EG4 monitor site would not catch it, because it would happen in the five minute snapshot window.

Turning off seamless switch seems to have stopped the issue with the grid switching periodically although I still don't quite understand why (I'd prefer to have it enabled).

I'm now experiencing a new issue with PV installed yesterday. For several hours this morning everything was working great but starting in the afternoon PV started throttling and only powering loads with little or no power being used to charge the batteries. I have 2 Power Pro batteries and this was happening earlier when they were under 50% SOC. As I type this, they are sitting at 83% SOC with 0W going into them and all PV is throttled just to match loads. I've tried PV charge priority both on and off and it happens either way. What am I doing wrong here?

Turning off seamless switch seems to have stopped the issue with the grid switching periodically although I still don't quite understand why (I'd prefer to have it enabled).

I'm now experiencing a new issue with PV installed yesterday. For several hours this morning everything was working great but starting in the afternoon PV started throttling and only powering loads with little or no power being used to charge the batteries. I have 2 Power Pro batteries and this was happening earlier when they were under 50% SOC. As I type this, they are sitting at 83% SOC with 0W going into them and all PV is throttled just to match loads. I've tried PV charge priority both on and off and it happens either way. What am I doing wrong here?
@EG4_Jared ?

Last edited:
When you set grid sellback, does it take AC couple into consideration, to not go over the limit, or is it just the PV on the 18 itself?

When you set grid sellback, does it take AC couple into consideration, to not go over the limit, or is it just the PV on the 18 itself?
I have my AC coupling set up not to exceed my total net metering. Growatt tech told me if I had more solar panels than I needed, the Growatt could be limited. With RS485 CT meter

Attachments

• IMG_5057.png
    IMG_5057.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5058.png
    IMG_5058.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I have my AC coupling set up not to exceed my total net metering. Growatt tech told me if I had more solar panels than I needed, the Growatt could be limited. With RS485 CT meter
Ok. But are you limiting the 18 as well?

My hope is that the 18 setting limits both it's own PV and the AC Coupled PV

My understanding is when the Ac coupled is connected to the grid, the grid controls the frequency curtailment . And when the 18Kpv is off grid the frequency curtailment is controlled by the 18Kpv. So the grid is ether on or off, so it would not curtail the amount of power. So you would have to balance your export ac couple to your net meter total.

So off grid the ac coupled watts would be controlled but on grid it’s either all or nothing.

And PV is always curtailed by the 18Kpv.

Back