diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

Random EG4 18kpv question... I currently have a schnieder inverter but switching to EG4 soon... My current inverter has a control panel about 6inx4 on my wall that I can monitor everything in my office. Does EG4 have anything similar or would someone just have to mount an mini ipad to the wall? Or does no one do this anymore

Random EG4 18kpv question... I currently have a schnieder inverter but switching to EG4 soon... My current inverter has a control panel about 6inx4 on my wall that I can monitor everything in my office. Does EG4 have anything similar or would someone just have to mount an mini ipad to the wall? Or does no one do this anymore
Just the mobile phone app.

If you want to nerd out with numbers and graphs get Solar Assistant.

Is anyone using the micro grid or smart load features of the 18kPV?

I'm curious if I enable the micro grid setting and tie my inverter generator to the grid input if it supplies power to the loads and charges the battery. Them manual (page 84) says it will charge the battery and won't back feed - and leaves it at that.
I understand the smart load feature and how I would use it, but can you use both features at the same time?
Using the search feature yielded little results.

I'm curious if I enable the micro grid setting and tie my inverter generator to the grid input if it supplies power to the loads and charges the battery. Them manual (page 84) says it will charge the battery and won't back feed - and leaves it at that.
I understand the smart load feature and how I would use it, but can you use both features at the same time?
I'll test out the microgrid and get back to you.

Edit:
@Wes975

Using Peak Shaving would work to restrict demand on generator and MicroGrid would restrict backfeed. *

When used in conjuction with microgrid this is what happened.

Test scenario
MicroGrid ✔️ + PeakShaving 1Kw
Inverter limited demand on grid to 90% of 1,000 watts. When inverter load exceeded 1kW the inverter would pull from batteries. When load was under 1,000 watts inverter would use excess to charge batteries.

2nd scenario
MicroGrid ✔️ + PeakShaving 10Kw

Inverter limited grid input to approximately 90% or 9,000 watts, excess would go to charging batteries.

*would need to conduct more testing.

Last edited:
The manual states to use wire ferrules for the pv wire if it's stranded. In another area of the manual, I believe for the ac side, it states to use them if using fine strand wire.
Does one need ferrules for the pv wire if the wire is not fine strand and if so, is tinning acceptable?

What's the protocol for connection the pv wire to the inverter? 3.4.2 "Steps For PV Connection" states breakers off. The pv wire would still be hot unless it was night time.

The communication hub connects to the bus bars on the battery rack and then it's grounded to the battery rack?

The battery rack is grounded to a PE in the inverter?

I feel like I'm digging around to find answers for some basic info, but I don't know for sure, so I search, as I cannot find this stuff in the installation manuals.

The communication hub connects to the bus bars on the battery rack and then it's grounded to the battery rack?

The battery rack is grounded to a PE in the inverter?

I feel like I'm digging around to find answers for some basic info, but I don't know for sure, so I search, as I cannot find this stuff in the installation manuals.
Most of that is Building and NEC code. Not applicable in all locations, that's why it's not in a user manual.

The manual states to use wire ferrules for the pv wire if it's stranded. In another area of the manual, I believe for the ac side, it states to use them if using fine strand wire.
Does one need ferrules for the pv wire if the wire is not fine strand and if so, is tinning acceptable?

What's the protocol for connection the pv wire to the inverter? 3.4.2 "Steps For PV Connection" states breakers off. The pv wire would still be hot unless it was night time.
Use ferrules, they are cheap and guarantee that you don't have stray ends touching.

Are there any requirements on what kind of generator you hookup to the EG4 18KPV to charge the batteries? I have a DuroMax XP13000EH and the output is not pure sine wave.

Are there any requirements on what kind of generator you hookup to the EG4 18KPV to charge the batteries? I have a DuroMax XP13000EH and the output is not pure sine wave.
In addition to running into trouble when qualifying grid, that’s going to pass through to your loads and disable AC coupling.

You could consider adding a chargeverter after passing inspection (since that will invalidate UL9540), but it will also not work with any automation

What's the protocol for connecting the pv wire to the inverter?

3.4.2 "Steps For PV Connection" states breakers off. Wouldn't the pv wire be hot unless it was night time? Does it matter?

What's the protocol for connecting the pv wire to the inverter? 3.4.2 "Steps For PV Connection" states breakers off. The pv wire would still be hot unless it was night time.
I installed an ISO disconnect switch per the manual...

I installed an ISO disconnect switch per the manual...
Are you referring to a rapid shutdown? My panels are on the ground, so I don't need one of those.

"Steps For PV Connection" on pg 13 & 14 in the manual don't mention anything about anything really.

I send my questions into Sig. Solar as well. This thread is better than nothing, but taking random advice as EG4 gospel could be an electronics-destroying experience.

Hopefully, someone at Sig. Solar is compiling a Q & A list in cheat sheet form or something. Unless one knows, one doesn't know until one blows some shit up, so this one is trying his best to fill in the many gaps in the manual & general knowledge (?) of pv's, batteries, comm. hubs, battery racks, inverters, ac side (a whole other world imo), that are difficult to find, even in multiple online searches. It's quite a f'ing thing.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back