diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV Q+A general thread

I don't have a generator. At this point, it appears that I might not be too far off from being 100% off-grid capable though, so maybe before I consider another 3-6 lifepower4's to go off-grid, I should look at a generator.
Did your EG4 18Kpv cable get mailed out? Mine said it was shipped, then changed to not shipped. Hopefully they sent you my cable. They say out of stock now.

Attachments

• IMG_4256.png
    IMG_4256.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 9
Did your EG4 18Kpv cable get mailed out? Mine said it was shipped, then changed to not shipped. Hopefully they sent you my cable. They say out of stock now.
I've never gotten a response like that. I was/am in communication with a tech there who said they're waiting on them, but then he said the communication cables should've come with the batteries, so I think he got off the topic of exactly what cable we're talking about. I've got enough going on with my man Jarrett who's hooking my dumb ass up with some technology, so I'm not gonna push it.

I don't have a generator. At this point, it appears that I might not be too far off from being 100% off-grid capable though, so maybe before I consider another 3-6 lifepower4's to go off-grid, I should look at a generator.
If you don't have a utility agreement, your most guaranteed advice would be not to connect to grid with 18kpv for now. The newest update (faab 1616) was released a month ago, let some else play it a while. A Charge Verter can be used with grid or generator. I found more panels help on cloudy days and 9 batt make a diff over 6. Start mixing grid with off grid and you defeated your thought of being off grid.

Are you referring to FAAB 1616
In my case yes, I grabbed it when it was available until it got taken down.
I gather it was tested and approved by luxpower but not EG4 and they needed to test it further.
I see 1616 listed in the change log but I cannot download it again ATM so I'm not sure if it is officially available or not right now.

I gather it was tested and approved by luxpower but not EG4 and they needed to test it further.
I see 1616 listed in the change log but I cannot download it again ATM so I'm not sure if it is officially available or not right now.
I've been trying to grab it and it's not available. It was up at one point and they pulled it.. Likely for further testing

Are you using it?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills right now....How do I get AC quick charge to work?

There is a storm coming and I want to use the grid to top off my battery which is currently at 75%. I've had this working before, but I guess that was just "dumb luck."

1700570682837.png

1700570719209.png

Any thoughts?

set the AC charge start time / end time and it'll charge the batteries. I haven't had any luck using the quick charge button either.

set the AC charge start time / end time and it'll charge the batteries. I haven't had any luck using the quick charge button either.
It looks like "the button" changed "charge time 3". Are you saying I need to change charge time 1?

if you set charge time 1 / end time 1 (user current date - 2 hours from now) it'll charge the batteries.
(make sure to delete the values in charge 1 start end after the batteries are full or it'll do this everyday)

Last edited:
It's easier to just manually activate the AC charging through the settings.

My understanding is that you can go over the 30 Amp, the system will limit the import to 30, however.
That's what my hope is and it does make sense, but I've seen a 1.2x limit mentioned before.

I'm just hoping for a confirmation before I go that route. My potential run would be ~33A under perfect conditions.

Can someone please tell me how to find the "Fast Zero Export" setting? Is that something that was removed in the newer firmware?

@Markus_EG4 posted a how to file for quick charge about 1 week ago.
I read it...I couldn't figure it out at first but now I've got it.

Here is the laziest way I could get it to work

1) AC Charge ENABLE
2) AC Charge Based on TIME (this is where I was messing up...I had it set to SOC%).
3) Lazy click START QUICK CHARGE.

No need to set any times/etc this lazy way.

1700589154911.png

1700589192538.png

I read it...I couldn't figure it out at first but now I've got it.

Here is the laziest way I could get it to work

1) AC Charge ENABLE
2) AC Charge Based on TIME (this is where I was messing up...I had it set to SOC%).
3) Lazy click START QUICK CHARGE.

No need to set any times/etc this lazy way.

View attachment 179027

View attachment 179028

Regarding the "quick charge", thanks for this tip about setting it to AC Charge by time instead of SOC. It worked, charging the powerpro at ~5400 watts. It would be nice if the tech support at SS knew all the ins and outs of this. They are very nice and try to find answers, but I think they might be still learning it too. So if a storm is coming, quick charge to 100% , and disable export to grid. That way the big loads such as the water heater don't drain the battery. I suppose one could open the battery breaker in the 18k to save all the power until the danger of grid loss is past. With a little foresight, it can basically act as an emergency generator for critical loads.

Well I had a perfect storm of sorts last night.

Yesterday was an almost zero solar day, so I had set my AC discharge higher than normal, to make sure i had battery juice in case of an outage. I set it to 60%.

When I got home, since we were running on grid power, I decided to plug in my EV, but to the the level 1 charger, luckily.

About 3 AM, we lost power, batteries took over, all good. But of course the stupid L1 charger was plugged in, and when I got up at 630, the batteries were down to 29%. Grrr.

Unhooked the charger, and broke out the generator, for the first time.

Small 7 K (8.25 surge) generator, but more than enough to carry my typical <1K load and charge batteries.

On the 18, I had the gen size set to 7, which I figured would do something. I think I was wrong.

The charge AMP on the generator tab was set to 100.

Start generator, chugging along nicely, pulling about 6K, as expected (1K load 5K charge).

Well then, the well or something kicked on, and tripped the breaker on my generator. I had mistakenly thought the inverter would have reduced power to the batteries, and switched to the load, since you set the Generator KW.

Anyway, reduced the AMP to 65, which leaves me 3K headroom, which should be enough for any load coming online. Once we get around 50%, will kill the generator and hope for a reasonable solar day.

Did I mention I am taking delivery of 6 more batteries today?

diy solar

diy solar
Back