diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP Released, ordered. Let's Go!

solarenvy

Solar Enthusiast
I've been waiting for this as a "sweet spot" for my cabin build. The 18kpv is sexy but overkill for my needs (though I had my finger on the trigger). Lux has demonstrated their ability to build a high-quality product...hoping this is no exception to that rule.

I will be sure to document my experience.

Trying to figure this out:

Is each MPPT limited to 17a or both added together limited to 17a. The manual makes it sound like both put together.

Datasheet shows max usable current as "17/17A". I would read that as each MPPT is capable of taking 17A.

FOR ALL MODULES, THE CALCULATIONS NEED TO BE PERFORMED OR VERIFIED BY USING A STRING CALCULATOR OR CONSULTING A PROFESSIONAL.

The inverter has two MPPT PV charging circuits. MPPT #1 and #2 will utilize up to 17 amps, which means two strings can be paralleled for any modules having less than 8.5A (Imp) rating.”

That makes it sound like 8.5a for each MPPT.

They are saying you can parallel 2 strings of 8.5A each together and then feed the combined current into either of the MPPT inputs or both.

That said, You ALSO have to calculate the Watts because you cannot max out both current and voltage on the MPPT input and stay below the 5,000W maximum wattage per input.

They are saying you can parallel 2 strings of 8.5A each together and then feed the combined current into either of the MPPT inputs or both.

That said, You ALSO have to calculate the Watts because you cannot max out both current and voltage on the MPPT input and stay below the 5,000W maximum wattage per input.
I’m installing four clusters of 6 380w panels. 6s2p x2 240v and 22a at peak conditions per MPPT

One set of six panels up, three more to go.

Yup, that shadow sucks. Some tree trimming will help but winter sun angle is not great.
4C6E2048-8C34-4F64-8D3E-C870DAD4449A.jpeg

As much as I poopoo AIOs, this one looks quite interesting. Cheap enough to have spares, significantly lower internal power requirements, stackable up to 16. If it could both AC Couple and have generator input, it would be getting closer to something I would buy. I am not sure if it can AC couple. I’m thinking no since it’s not mentioned.

I’m installing four clusters of 6 380w panels. 6s2p x2 240v and 22a at peak conditions per MPPT

One set of six panels up, three more to go.
Based on the specs, you're going to get some serious clipping at 22a. Why not just do two of the inverters and connect 6S1P x 4? As someone who already deals with clipping from 20a down to 17a, I can tell you it's a significant loss. I've been planning on upgrading to a couple of the 18kpv inverters but this one is certainly interesting.

Edit: Changing the configuration to get your strings down to 11a would also have an impact on the size of the PV wiring, depending on how long your runs are. A positive impact, that is.

Based on the specs, you're going to get some serious clipping at 22a. Why not just do two of the inverters and connect 6S1P x 4? As someone who already deals with clipping from 20a down to 17a, I can tell you it's a significant loss. I've been planning on upgrading to a couple of the 18kpv inverters but this one is certainly interesting.

Edit: Changing the configuration to get your strings down to 11a would also have an impact on the size of the PV wiring, depending on how long your runs are. A positive impact, that is.
Which inverters do you recommend?

I was looking at the MPP LVX6048WP (one string) plus a EG4 MPPT for the second string to have no clipping.

12 panels will face SW, 6 NW and 6 SE. 380w x 24 panels = 9120w. I really don’t think I would see much clipping. It would probably be only during the summer at noon. :)

Which inverters do you recommend?

I was looking at the MPP LVX6048WP (one string) plus a EG4 MPPT for the second string to have no clipping.

12 panels will face SW, 6 NW and 6 SE. 380w x 24 panels = 9120w. I really don’t think I would see much clipping. It would probably be only during the summer at noon. :)
Have you seen the SRNE ASF 10kw? I have a link in my about section.
22a max input on the MPPTs.
I'm running 9s2p 1 string S, 1 string W and 6s2p all S facing.
"Supports two solar inputs and simultaneous tracking of two solar maximum power charging/carrying capacity functions.
• Dual MPPT with 99.9% efficiency and maximum 22A current in a single circuit, perfectly adapted to high power modules."

Edit - Grammer.

Last edited:
Ideally you would want a system with 3 separate MPPT inputs due to the arrays facing different directions. For example the 12 panels in a 6S2P directly into the inverter and a 2 channel MPPT charge controller or 2 smaller MPPT charge controllers one for NW and one for SE.
I agree. I would have to run 3 cables instead of two, from the garage to the attic. About 80’ each.

My plan had been to combine the arrays in the pic because the sun faces one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. In the summer, the sun is directly overhead late morning to early afternoon, so that’s landing on all those panels equally. The roof angle is the same for all.

I’ve been having trouble finding an MPPT controller that can handle higher voltage besides the EG4. Any recommendations?
964AA3BD-DEE1-4700-B6DA-56639B256D47.jpeg81A89848-E64C-4B35-9886-400A22221B6E.jpeg

10AWG at 22a max. 80’ run. 42v panels x 12 = 504v so I would need something more like 600v max input, which I’ve only seen one inverter so that’s not available anywhere.

6s2p: 10AWG at 22a max. 80’ run. To get to 11a: 42v panels x 12 = 504v so I would need something more like 600v max input, which I’ve only seen one inverter so that’s not available anywhere.

Last edited:
10AWG at 22a max. 80’ run. 42v panels x 12 = 504v so I would need something more like 600v max input, which I’ve only seen one inverter so that’s not available anywhere.
You also need to factor the temperature coefficient. But that's a different topic.

The problem you're going to encounter from clipping is related to the amps. I think the vast majority of inverters in this range and even up to the 18kpv (for two of the PV inputs) or a Solark are going to have a max amp rating somewhere around 17a. Producing higher amps, within reason, won't damage anything - the inverter just won't draw more than it's rated for. So your 4500w string of panels at 22a is going to clip at 17a (or lower in hot weather), leaving you only getting usable production of around 3500w. That's a lot of waste.

If you change that to 4 strings of 6 panels you're good on the voltage at around 250v and you're good on the amps at 11a. But you need four MPPT inputs, or something like the 18kpv which allows 25a on the #1 MPPT and 17a on the other two. One way to do that would be with two of these 6000XP inverters.

Another option would be to do what @Zwy did and install separate charge controllers for each string, but now you're incurring more expense and complicating the install.

diy solar

diy solar
Back