diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000XP Released, ordered. Let's Go!

Ps: I’m taking a wild guess that your 450 watt panels run at between 35-40 volts MPP, and maybe 13-15 amps (probably on the lower end of those ranges). If I’m in the ballpark there, I’ll bet we ultimately will arrive at an optimum string of 8-9 panels for each MPPT. With two MPPTs on those inverters, that would equate to 16-18 panels for each inverter. If you’re limiting yourself to a total of 16 panels for both inverters, you will be wasting an awful lot of inverter capacity until you panel up later.

I see what CS are saying -
4x panels per string x4 strings spread over the 2 inverters, 2 strings per inverter. 176v@10A/string
Good for shaded panels if you group them, not so good at the start and end of each day.

Or you could do 8x panels per string, 1 to each inverter. 352v@10A/string
Less wire, better at the bookends of the day.

Question - Overloading the 6000xp when grid is connected.

The 6000xp will switch to grid bypass when overloaded.

The 6000xp will switch back to battery when load drops under inverter limit and/or 4 minutes (didn't test with stopwatch)
Is this feature documented anywhere or just a behavior you observed? I can't find a reference to it in the manual unless I missed it someplace (other than the reference that it supports 50A pass-thru). I have a specific situation I'm really hoping this is an actual working feature. If it's an undocumented behavior, I'm still a bit concerned if it won't change depending on the firmware version.

Is this feature documented anywhere or just a behavior you observed? I can't find a reference to it in the manual unless I missed it someplace (other than the reference that it supports 50A pass-thru). I have a specific situation I'm really hoping this is an actual working feature. If it's an undocumented behavior, I'm still a bit concerned if it won't change depending on the firmware version.
Which part...the 4 minutes or overload dropping back to grid?

Observed behavior.

Which part...the 4 minutes or overload dropping back to grid?

Observed behavior.
Yeah I was referring to both parts. Hopefully it behaves that way for me - still waiting on my order from CC since 10/30 ?. If it does, then I think I'll follow EG4's own advice and not update firmware versions if everything is working, just in case it might change that behavior. That won't be easy for me though as I'm kind of compulsive about installing updates as they come out for phones, computers, etc., for security and feature improvements...

Yeah I was referring to both parts. Hopefully it behaves that way for me - still waiting on my order from CC since 10/30 ?. If it does, then I think I'll follow EG4's own advice and not update firmware versions if everything is working, just in case it might change that behavior. That won't be easy for me though as I'm kind of compulsive about installing updates as they come out for phones, computers, etc., for security and feature improvements...
I'm getting ready to test the overload behavior when in parallel.

..... If it does, then I think I'll follow EG4's own advice and not update firmware versions if everything is working, just in case it might change that behavior......
Am I the only one that is concerned that an inverter would need an"update", cause it might behave wrong? What ever happened to the power switch? You turn it on and it provides power. Done.

These damn things should just come with a screen that changes blue when its time for the daily reboot. Keep things familiar. Geez.

Same for 2 parallel 6000xp, over 105-110% it switches over to grid.
Tonight I noticed my 6000ex switched to grid when I was using the clothes dryer and the water heater came on.....only running at 40% on each leg, batteries at 53 volts and full. Switch to grid is supposed to happen at 51 volts. When load went off it did as it was supposed to and stopped charging at 53 volts.

Tonight I noticed my 6000ex switched to grid when I was using the clothes dryer and the water heater came on.....only running at 40% on each leg, batteries at 53 volts and full. Switch to grid is supposed to happen at 51 volts. When load went off it did as it was supposed to and stopped charging at 53 volts.
It sounds like it's working exactly as intended, it bypassed to grid when it was overloaded; if you had this option disabled I bet it would have shut down.
Have you put a clamp meter on your dryer? If it's electric it's likely using 3000w / leg which would be maxing out the 6000ex, the water heater would put it over the top causing it to bypass to grid.

Wrong thread. 6000xp

But check your max DC amp limit.

Last edited:
It sounds like it's working exactly as intended, it bypassed to grid when it was overloaded; if you had this option disabled I bet it would have shut down.
Have you put a clamp meter on your dryer? If it's electric it's likely using 3000w / leg which would be maxing out the 6000ex, the water heater would put it over the top causing it to bypass to grid.
Have three tied together....showed 40% on each leg......

Same for 2 parallel 6000xp, over 105-110% it switches over to grid.
How was it wiring 2 6000xp’s in parallel, pretty seamless? Have any issues? I haven’t seen any real world reference material of more than one unit.

I’m in the process of deciding between 2 of these 6000xp’s in parallel or the 18Kpv. Looking to have at least 2 or 3 14.3kWh PowerPros with it.

How was it wiring 2 6000xp’s in parallel, pretty seamless? Have any issues? I haven’t seen any real world reference material of more than one unit.

I’m in the process of deciding between 2 of these 6000xp’s in parallel or the 18Kpv. Looking to have at least 2 or 3 14.3kWh PowerPros with it.
If cost wasn't a factor, 18Kpv all day.
Need redundancy, go with 2 or 3 6000xp

18Kpv and powerpro make a very clean install.

Simple to wire...just double check your voltage at each breaker/disconnect before flipping them on.

2-6000XPs only need 1 parallel cable.
I just finished 1 hour full load and grid fallback overload testing.

Screenshot_20231121_204905_EG4 Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20231121_204844_EG4 Monitor.jpg

If cost wasn't a factor, 18Kpv all day.
Need redundancy, go with 2 or 3 6000xp

18Kpv and powerpro make a very clean install.

Simple to wire...just double check your voltage at each breaker/disconnect before flipping them on.

2-6000XPs only need 1 parallel cable.
I just finished 1 hour full load and grid fallback overload testing.

View attachment 179306View attachment 179307
Any pics of em mounted by chance? What were you running for an hour to generate ~13kw? Impressive

Back