diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX 120/240 Setup, 48V 105kWh Battery & Overkill 100A BMS Install

I ran laundry and the dishwasher to keep mine from topping out. Rain next couple days. I'm going to clean the dehumidifiers this weekend and run them in the basement during the day when battery tops out.

Sweet build. I'll definitely ask for some advice before mine is over.. Makes my head hurt just reading about all the setup parameters.. Lol

Nice Job
Current photos. Best day is 70.4kWh a few days ago.

View attachment 143055

Nice job . thinking to build 120 kwh battery bank and i would like to know more about the battery bank and bms you used.

First question how can i speed up the balancing. I was thinking to balance 4 cells a day Total of 16 cells 3.2v 304ah

Any suggestion on a faster charger that can accomplish that keeping the voltage at 3.65 ?

I cheated by setting the EG4 to grid bypass. U set the lower battery threshold to max for utility trigger and then set the max to 54V. Let it charge, then pull the banks and top balance.

I found an LED bulb type that flickers today, but only when my Harvest Right freeze drier is running. It's a GE Refresh LED 1600 lumens 17W. I only have one in my basement that been there for quite some time. I just noticed it today as I don't normally have that particular light on.

I strongly recommend panel LEDs for lighting. You can buy the ones with remotes that allow dimming and temperature of light control. I've never had a panel light dim over time, fail or strobe.

So I haven't been updating power monthly because frankly I'm pegged full most days now with all the sun. Today the bank was at 80% at 9am and full by noon. I kept the AC cranked until 6pm because it was 92F and I basically have unlimited power.

Summer is such a crazy contrast to Dec/Jan.

It is supposed to rain on and off for a week. I'll try to deplete the bank before the next full sunny day and attempt to figure out a max PV collection day before we hit the solstice.

105kWh ESS (WOW!)
{I guess I am half way there, I too am planning on about 100kWh storage, I have been adding a 14.3DIY rack each spring and each Fall, two more years and I will be there!}
With your 16kW of PV you could basically fully charge your whole ESS in 6-8 hours of good sun even from near zero battery SOC, NICE!

I have been thinking about a battery to PV ratio, based on say 5 good solar hours a day.
It seems that ESS(kWh) : PV(kW) of 5:1 makes good sense for a lot of set ups.
your 105kWh battery: 16kW PV is about 6:1 Seems to make good sense/works for you.
I realize some of the guys are in much hotter areas (Tx, Az, Nv So-Cal) and as such they can use a lot of their solar power as it is created, just running A/C while it is sunny out, without the need for large ESS perhaps.

Here is my general 'rule of thumb' quick guideline:
Starting with an energy audit, a system can be sized to meet the max instantaneous output(kW), and the daily consumption(kWh) (d-consump)
From this max instant output (and budget input) a suitable sized inverter(s) can be selected.
Next an assessment of how many days of automy, (d) x (d-consump) will provide a total ESS battery size.
Next using my 1:5 ratio (or Preppenwolf's 1:6) the PV can be scalled to suit the above.

Lets' run some numbers and see what happens.
A typical whole house is using say 26kWh/day and has a peak instant load of say 13kW
The user is on a bit of a budget and decides to go with a pair of MPP 6548's to get the 13kW instant max output at low cost.
Say they select 5 days of autonomy so 26kWh/d x 5 = 130kWh ESS
Using the 6:1 ratio this leads to a PV size of 130/6 = 21.6kW of solar panels.

What if it was a small cabin kind of set up:
Say daily use is only 3kWh/d and peak is 2kW load, all 120V loads.
The user picks a small 2-3kW inverter
Again lets pretend they need 5 days autonomy so 3kW x 5 = 15kWh ESS. (three 100Ah 48vdc racks).
Using the 6:1 ratio, 15/6 = 2.5kW of PV for the cabin. like 6 400W panels.

This ratio of PV to ESS would seem way too high at first look, after all do we need to be able to fully charge the ESS in a single day? but then we need to realize the PV typically don't output near to their rated max often only 70-80% of that, less if there are clouds, and then as Preppenwolf said - there is Dec-Jan.

I agree 5:1 is a good middle target. For me in NH 4:1 would be better to maximize winter. I bought 5kW more 380W panels that have broken glass but are still functional for super cheap. I'm going to be re-sealing the glass and mounting them on my garage this fall to bump my production a bit.

Even if I only get a couple years production before they fail, they only cost me $600 and it'll be worth it until I can expand my normal array which Is going to require some earth moving.

I have a panel with broken glass from shipping mis-hap, (got a free replacement)
I mounted the broken panel on a vertical surface under a small overhang (protection from direct rain) hooked to a small 24-volt system. Been working fine for 1.5 years.
How do you reseal the glass?

I'm using a clear acrylic paint and my intent is to mount them vertical on the south facing wall. I'm going to buy an EG4 solar charge controller and put them in two strings. It will only cost me about $700 for the controller, brackets and wire. So about $1300-1400 total for adding 5kW. Plus I can always replace the panels later and I'll be able to plug and play replace if if/when they fail.

I've seen a lot of people using unsealed broken panels on YT for 2-5 years and still getting 80-85% of original panel output.

Here are the panels. (18) 380W for $600 from a local recycler. 1 good, 17 with broken glass. They all test full VOC. I need to test them with an LED headlight bulb.
20230602_141244.jpg20230602_141252.jpg20230602_141317.jpg
20230602_141235.jpg

Very cool,
I like the vertical mounting, since then the glass is not pulled down by gravity in it's weak direction, and mounting to the wall means no real wind load on the glass either, seems to be working (for me) so far!

Small update.

Installed a new PV switch.

Installed additional battery switches at each inverter to be able to isolate them from the bank if needed or desired.

Installed a shunt for remote viewing general system status via hardwired monitor in the kitchen. This shunt uses phone line between the main module and remote screen. This allows me to use our homes existing (and previously abandoned) land lines already mounted on the kitchen wall.

In the middle of raising panels to winter position (55°). We also widened row spacing after marking last year's winter solstice shadow locations. I may make more changes next year, biasing the strings slightly westward 10 degrees from their current true south due to our tree lines. I'm not sure yet. Mayne just adding fixed panels to other location makes more sense than tweaking this setup more.

I'll post YTD numbers end if this month. October will be incomplete as I'm loosing at least 5 sunny days to this panel move, but it should really help our December/January compared to last year.

20231022_115103.jpg
20231022_115040.jpg
signal-2023-10-22-22-45-20-184-3.jpg

Back