diy solar

diy solar

EG4 8kW Hybrid Inverter | 8000W Output | 12000W PV - $2,799.00

Yeah, get a business bailout loan, buy a hundred of these and sell them for $2499. Bank 80k-90k

That's seems to be commonplace these days. Not one business is creative enough to design, engineer and manufacture a unique product. They simply buy someone else's product and "flip it" and call the upcharge their great customer service!
In the fireworks industry we call them rewraps. 58 different brands of fireworks are made by 4 or 5 manufacturers. So you can find the same piece from 20 or 30 different brands with different labels but they all do the same thing.

You can get the Chinese manufacturers to tweak the product ie. better components, higher quality materials for an additional charge.

The best retailers will have an inventory of 30 - 50% "tweaked" product to keep their best customers happy.

The same thing can be done with re-labeled Chinese inverters by any new company that wants to enjoy long term success.

In the fireworks industry we call them rewraps. 58 different brands of fireworks are made by 4 or 5 manufacturers. So you can find the same piece from 20 or 30 different brands with different labels but they all do the same thing.

You can get the Chinese manufacturers to tweak the product ie. better components, higher quality materials for an additional charge.

The best retailers will have an inventory of 30 - 50% "tweaked" product to keep their best customers happy.

The same thing can be done with re-labeled Chinese inverters by any new company that wants to enjoy long term success.
I was thinking about "why" this would be the case and the answer was obvious.

China is a communist country with 2 billion people. The government must keep the people and economic engine moving so they allow or mandate the design to be shared in areas that need manufacturing work and have them produce widgets. They are not concerned about "profit" like a capitalist country would be because living needs like housing and food production can also be mandated in areas of need.

they have looked at sol-ark, and learned from the "best" i guess
Looks like you can buy this inverter on Alibaba for $1690. They will even put your logo on it if you order 100 of them.

Alibaba sales link
they have looked at sol-ark, and learned from the "best" i guess

Local support and apparently further development of the firmware.
Also they are risking getting stiffed by dodgy people in far away places.
Any further development they make in the Firmware will be incorporated into every Inverter they manufacturer no matter who is selling it.

Any further development they make in the Firmware will be incorporated into every Inverter they manufacturer no matter who is selling it.
Not necessarily. SS may have told them to use the updated firmware only on units destined for SS.
Now whether our trusty foreign friends uphold their end of the deal......

Not necessarily. SS may have told them to use the updated firmware only on units destined for SS.
Now whether our trusty foreign friends uphold their end of the deal......
That's not how the Chinese operate.

Chinese business: "Yes, SS, we will honor our agreement."
Chinese government: "Share with your countrymen."
Chinese business: "Yes, exalted leader, we will share the technology with our countrymen."

SS doesn't feed or house the chinese people. When you are not free, you quickly learn to not bite the hand that feeds you.

That's not how the Chinese operate.

Chinese business: "Yes, SS, we will honor our agreement."
Chinese government: "Share with your countrymen."
Chinese business: "Yes, exalted leader, we will share the technology with our countrymen."

SS doesn't feed or house the chinese people. When you are not free, you quickly learn to not bite the hand that feeds you.
Yep!
That is why as soon as one Chinese company starts to make something that sells well you will see five other Chinese companies start to make the same product. I also seriously doubt that SS is even buying a fraction of the Inverters that is needed to get their attention.

Home Solar is really not that big in America as it is in a lot of other countries and non certified DIY solar is an even smaller fraction of that.
I suspect that about 98% of people who get Solar in America are just hiring companies to install UL Listed equipment. There are not many people who are going to even think about fooling around inside a panel box with high voltage.

Last edited:
Sorry, EG4 is trying to play in a price class they have no business being in. The XW Pro 6.8kw is a far better piece of kit.

Sorry, EG4 is trying to play in a price class they have no business being in. The XW Pro 6.8kw is a far better piece of kit.
How so? I would rather have local support for this inverter than having to buy it overseas

How so? I would rather have local support for this inverter than having to buy it overseas
Schneider has a large support structure in all major countries, and a quality / capability track record to boot. EG4 rebrands generic mass-produced chinese inverters that don't come anywhere close.

Obviously, this inverter is manufactured by DEYE. Anyone that has this rebranded inverter or its variations that can provide some overall input?

View attachment 122633
Will just made a video review of this and this and the Megarevo rebranded inverters here:

I have had 2 of these running for the past 7 months, and are now using them in parallel. I've been fairly happy with them, despite having near zero customer support.
I second that. The EG4 8kW is my third off-grid inverter and the best so far. I've had two different GroWatt SPF 3k versions, added an autotransformer to minimize light flickering, and gone thru the heartache of firmware upgrade, troubleshooting, etc. with the EG4 6000.

There is no LED light flickering with the 8kW. The load regulation is where it should be, i.e. a market-ready product. I have tried zero load, one LED bulb on L1 and 150W incandescent on L2, up to 7kW running all critical loads in my house and the voltages have been solid. That's true load regulation!

I have noticed LED lights occasionally blink on grid power now that I have learned to notice them. So far I have seen an occasional blink, not flickering, as well with the 8kW. My next step is to connect the grid to it to take advantage of its hybrid capability.

I have two GroWatt MIN 6kW grid-tied inverters that have served me so well since Oct 22, 2021. I got rid of natural gas. With no holdback on all-electric usage, charging my plug-in Rav4 almost everyday I still made an average $50/month. Unfortunately, my unlimited power buyback contract ended in Nov 2022.

Back